Hess Cooling System Water Re-Routing Kit

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X

Has anyone installed one of these and how difficult was it? I just purchased this and the instructions that they send the pics are not very clear. I also bought the razorback temperature gauge to install with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not heard of this before but the concept from the website description is intriguing.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm skeptical, not sure what flaw they're think they've found but the T1K/P1K cooling system is quite simple and typical by automotive standards. Coolant is circulated in a closed loop (with a limited amount of bypass) until the thermostat opens, then coolant is routed to the radiator. This keeps the engine/oil at a steady temperature range.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I run it on my race car. I know several others who do as well and it definitely helps if you run hard for extened length of time. I'm no help with the hose routing though because I run a remote oil cooler and I'm only using 1 of the two billet engine adapters that came with the kit.

Reactions: GrnP500
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Put me in the skeptical camp as well.

All IC engines recirculate nearly all their cooling water…which is controlled by a tstat. The Tstat controls the engine operating temperature.

Want a cooler running motor…run a cooler tstat or drill it.

This kit sounds like it’s short circuiting the tstat which is not good either…

Hot oil temperatures … like what temp? That’s a bogeyman comment imo. Where’s the oil failures? Sludged up motors? Etc etc etc….

You want hot oil, it keeps the moisture buildup at bay etc, and minimizes wear. 200 to 225F is nothing for modern oils. Even short runs on 250f will plus won’t hurt a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This kit sounds like it’s short circuiting the tstat which is not good either…
Ed Zachary.... running without or bypassing the Tstat is a good way to cook an engine, the Tstat also functions as a restrictor, to slow coolant flow so it has time to absorb the heat.

Reactions: Vikes79
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I would like to know more as well. I have the Jackson turbo and engine heat is always a concern of mine...

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Hess kit isn't made for you trail riders, it's made for racers. If you don't hold your car WFO for 15+ minutes while racing you will never see the benefit of the kit or even know why its needed. Be skeptical and don't buy it, it's not for you guys.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The Hess kit isn't made for you trail riders, it's made for racers. If you don't hold your car WFO for 15+ minutes while racing you will never see the benefit of the kit or even know why its needed. Be skeptical and don't buy it, it's not for you guys.
Please do explain for us lowly trail riders.....I'd love to hear the sales pitch on why this is needed.

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Please explain?

Us lowly trail riders are also Engineers, Designers, mechanics, etc,etc….and former racers!

You really think Hess has the design software and heat modeling capability of Honda?

I’m simply pointing out the years of available data at everyone’s eyeballs is contradictory to the very lean at best statements on the website, and their comments are blatantly ignorant of how the thermostat manages engine temperatures. Taking your backyard laser temperature gun around the block doesn’t tell you crap about the actual internal engine temperatures….it only gives a indicator of that very small spot that can vary due to casting design, air currents and density.

If Hess’s statements were actually true, and bad as they state ( without data I might add) don’t you think there would be engine failures a a noticeable level?

When’s the last time a race motor started and shut down repeatedly for several times a week often below operating temp, month etc and forced to run years on the same air filter, crappy oil etc? Never.

Holding the throttle open on a computer governed motor for 15 mins is nothing at all. Those are easy minutes.

Hell I know racers that used to dump their oil every single heat…

What I do know…racers will throw money at “race parts” like a drunk groom at an adult bar before wedding day….and in the eyes of the smart marketing teams for race parts companies….a race part can be anything with their name on it and a very basic claim.

Running a larger radiator, more efficient fan system etc is how you manage system cooling.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some of the coolant bypasses the radiator in the maze of hoses that run around the engine. Run WFO for 10-15min while racing in Texas 100° heat and slowly but surely your temp creaps up and up. I've had this problem since building my car and apparently so did Hess (who I'm not a fan of at all) and they figured out how to solve it. I put the kit on my car and I no longer have that problem. I can run laps until I literally run out of fuel now and the temp never passes the half way mark. If you don't have a problem with this you will never need this to solve it and won't notice a difference at all.

Reactions: CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
We're not part time weekend racers....we wouldn't understand 🤣

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'd rather be a "part time weekend racer" than a spectator. One is very easy to do, one isn't...

The trophys and big fake checks on the wall say I'm pretty good at it too. 😁
Been there, done that, have the Xrays to prove it. I'll just stick to being an old engineer now......have fun bud

Reactions: Remington and CID
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Someone always looking to throw a handful of s*** at the wall seeing if someone reacts. Bingo

• Haha
Reactions: Remington and 906UP
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Someone always looking to throw a handful of s*** at the wall seeing if someone reacts. Bingo

Some of us didn't buy SxS's to worry about what windshield works best with our side view mirrors and what lighted whip and interior LED color goes best with our Hawaiian shirt while out on the trail ride.

🤣🤣🤣

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I always make sure my shirt matches my mirrors 😆

• Haha
Reactions: CID and SLOWPOKE693
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't see anywhere where @SLOWPOKE693 used the moniker "lowly". Maybe saying "you" trail riders instead of just trail riders is what made some panties bunch up.
The thermostat is there to help get the motor up to temp, the radiator is there to help keep it there.
There is a difference between how a trail ridden motor is used compared to how a race ridden motor is used.
Part time weekend racer vs Part time weekend trail rider. Full time Passion either way.
My two sense....😁

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I appreciate the feedback guys. Sorry that it took me a bit to get back on here. I haven't had time to install it yet. Hopefully soon. I'm going to call Hess and see if I can get more info and better pics on installation.

• Haha
Reactions: Remington
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!