Homemade cab for the Pioneer Build & Completed

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Re: Homemade cab for the Pioneer

Started painting all the frames and hardware.It's going to take a few days to get things all painted and ready to put back together. We have extreme cold temps eg: last night it was -38 c with the windchill sitting at -45 c or f degrees so even in the shop the paint doesn't want to dry to fast. The stuff hanging dried over night but the frames are still tacky.If I could hang the frame's up higher I would but. Made the little side window frames and going to install the safety glass by gluing them in. Just in case the glue doesn't work to good I also welded little tabs on the back side to hold the window in place. I want to keep as much visability as possible.I also made a mount on the small side window frames to beable to mount mirror's.

Attachments

• pioneer cab 061 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 061 (Small).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • pioneer cab 062 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 062 (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,522
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota

I know how you feel. It was -25f yesterday and -20 this morning. Thank goodness for a heated workshop I can Monkey around in the Garage. Picking up all the rest of my pioneer parts this weekend (winch mount, accessory lights, back panel, front bumper, Camo seat covers are backordered)it would have been a good time to install this stuff being I have time off work for the holidays. The dealer I Bought everything at is 250 miles from me or I would run and get them. We are going down that way for my Wife's family Christmas and will pick them up then.Your Cab is looking nice keep up the good work!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada

I was able to get the canvas put onto the lower part of the doors,this is what it should look like once it's done.Right now I'am waiting on the Glass [the shop I deal with is closed until next week] I put the side window frame on just to show what the small side window looks like.Slowly working on sealing up the cab to stop air leaks.A few leaks here and there add up thus reducing the heater's ability to keep the cab warm.

Attachments

• pioneer cab 063 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 063 (Small).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,371
  • pioneer cab 064 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 064 (Small).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,482
F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013

Very nice, Another days work on the window and you will be done. With a $3000 savings in your pocket. What a nice cab you have built.
Great job.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada

The cab is completed,drove it around just a bit and very happy that it's not that noisy with the doors on. The little side window's are glued in place onto the small frame's. I put my heater under the dash because of the limited space under the hood.I have the Electric power steering installed so it's taken the room away for the heater.I have the fan drawing air from under the hood so there's a fresh air supply coming into the cab.The weight of each door are 45 lbs. 35 lbs for the metal frame and 10 lbs for the glass.Now the cost for materials etc: approx: $ 700.I can live with that. :lol: most expensive stuff was the glass.

Attachments

• pioneer cab 072 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 072 (Small).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,830
  • pioneer cab 071 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 071 (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,216
  • pioneer cab 069 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 069 (Small).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,326
  • pioneer cab 068 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 068 (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,267
  • pioneer cab 067 (Small).jpg
    pioneer cab 067 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,184
M

mhtrapper

Jan 30, 2014
Very nice job, i wish we were friends and i lived closer i would have you help me fab a cab for mine . Looks great nice to see some people take pride in what they do.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
yes very nice you are a great fabricator

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Re: Homemade cab for the Pioneer Build & Completed

Man I wish I had the ability to build me a cab.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Used the machine a few times now and its nice to sit and be some what warm while riding. Now if only I could get all the cold air leaks stopped It'll be even nicer. :lol:
BTW Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
I know I must sound like a broken record, but awesome job @slowdryrider! Envious of your ability to fab this cab, and not only that but to take detailed pictures with explanations to help the rest of us out, you're a good man! Thanks for sharing your work, very impressive.

Happy

Reactions: slowdryrider
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@slowdryrider can you take some pics of the seal you used between the main frame and fold out portion of the windshield and of the upper hinge and area around the wiper motor? I would be much appreciative, your design is SOLID.

I'm considering trying to mod the 1000 glass windshield to tip out like yours when I take delivery. HONDA should have made it tip out! It's nice to have but when it gets warm you NEED the airflow.

F

franticsled

May 8, 2016
NW Ohio

The cab is completed,drove it around just a bit and very happy that it's not that noisy with the doors on. The little side window's are glued in place onto the small frame's. I put my heater under the dash because of the limited space under the hood.I have the Electric power steering installed so it's taken the room away for the heater.I have the fan drawing air from under the hood so there's a fresh air supply coming into the cab.The weight of each door are 45 lbs. 35 lbs for the metal frame and 10 lbs for the glass.Now the cost for materials etc: approx: $ 700.I can live with that. :lol: most expensive stuff was the glass.[/QUOT

I am planning to do this setup as well, i have about everything planned besides the door latches.... What did you use, i see several options but few for interior and exterior access? and info would be great

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I agree- what a fantastic job! I made one for my P500, but I live in the south, so staying warm isn't nearly as much of an issue. Most of my riding is busting through dense woods and brush, so protection, visibility, and ease of removal were my primary targets, as well as being able to flip up sections of the windshield in the woods, and not having it torn off by the branches and brush I routinely plow through. There was no way I was going to spend the kind of $$ they want for an enclosure, just to tear it off in the woods. Made with 1/4" lexan and aluminum DSC00989 DSCN0997 DSCN1002 DSCN1009

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Now that the Pioneer is home I,am going to start the mods.First winch install then I'll start on making the cab and installing the heater.Here's a picture of the Homemade cab on the Ranger that I made and the Pioneer is going to get the same thing.Not sure when it'll get completed but now that its cold I should beable to pick away at it.The windshield is safety glass but it also opens and tips out at the bottom.One thing about having the windshield open it lets air flow through for the summer keeping the cab virtually dust free.The doors can be installed and removed just by lifting them off or on.I use automotive weather stripping around the doors and front windshield so that when there closed its sealed up just like what your car or truck is.
That's impressive workmanship right there!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!