Researching UTV Options - need help

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Hi! This is my first post, and although I expect the answers i'm looking for to possibly be biased, I am completely fine with that.

I have a family of 4 (counting me) and am currently trying to find a machine that will fit my recreational wants, and my utility needs at the same time. I was hoping to get some feedback on what the Pioneer can and can't do.. so here is what i'm looking for: A fun weekend toy with some of the capabilities of a sub compact tractor. I'm trying to justify buying a UTV instead of a small tractor to maintain our property..

Passenger room: I would need to haul 2-4 adults, although mostly likely 2 adults and my 2 children (6 & 8) comfortably. Is the back seat in the 700-4 supportive and safe for my kids or adults? Ideally, I would prefer to have room for 5...

Torque: I know it isn't a subcompact tractor... but I am wanting to cut down some tree's on the property, and I am hoping to utilize a UTV to pull smaller sections across the property to be cut for firewood, or ran on a band saw mill. Does the Pioneer have enough power and torque to drag a small log? Would it have enough power/traction to use something like a Brush Grubber to remove multi-floral rose, and other brush? 177013 1 700x700

Snow Removal: Can it push snow, how well does the Pioneer do compared to other models (Ranger, Commander, etc.?)

Balance: is it very top heavy? can it handle side hills, or steep inclines?

Ground Engaging Equipment: Has anyone used a drag, or any other type of attachments behind their Pioneer? I have seen Aftermarket 3pt type hitches added to Kubota's, Rangers, Gators, Etc. Would the Pioneer have the power to pull a disk, plow (garden & food plots), back blade/box blade (leveling driveway). I have a heavy Bolens that can do most of the work in the garden, but I would like a way to pull a drag, rock rake, or rear blade on the road back to our barn (which is flat).

Mower: Anyone pull a mower, or push a mower with the Pioneer? I would like to purchase a bigger push or pull style finish mower to maintain some of our land, I currently have a pull behind brush hog.. but it's a work out running it behind my Honda Rancher.. and bumpy behind my Bolens. I thought a UTV would make the ride more comfortable (guessing a Pioneer 500 would be ideal for this.. but need a bigger machine). Any suggestions on whether a push or pull model would work, and if the Pioneer would tear up the grass to much? Any suggestions on which model - for those of you who use mowers? I currently have a swisher finish, and a Haban brush.

Physical size: Can a Pioneer squeeze into a full size long bed truck? If not, what is the minimum foot print needed to squeeze one into a trailer (I have two utility trailers now.. but I figure the one is to small). Also, how tight is the turning radius? Most of our trails are fairly tight here, although with more RZR's in the area... i'm sure many are being knocked down to bigger widths.

Must Have Accessories: What are some must haves for the Pioneer? I can fabricate some stuff, and can weld. I noticed the tire carrier another member made (love that idea). Just curious everyone would suggest ordering at the same time as their UTV?

2015vs2014: Should I wait to see if Honda is going to offer something else? Any advantage to the 15 model over the 14? I really don't want a belt driven machine, and the ESP on my 2002...er 2001 (can't remember) Rancher has been pretty flawless (the whole machine really) for all these years. However, the 4 passenger lineup seems to be limited category wise. It seems like you either have a full on limo sized Utility option (Ranger Crew/Mule Pro FXT/Viking/Gator 825 crew)... or the more pure sport option (Maverick/RZR/Wildcat). I don't think any of the pure sports will work for me, and the Utility models are.. well... to utlity. The only model I can think of that fits more in line with the Pioneer is the Kawasaki Teryx4. However, I haven't seen any comparisons with this model. All of the full on utility models look like they would take a football field to turn in..and that doesn't look like fun for the type of riding I do.

Price: Any other models i'm overlooking that would be comparable in price to the Pioneer that you guys would suggest?

Mud: I don't want something with snorkles.. but I do love running through water and the occasional mud hole. Does the Pioneer do fairly well stock? I have no intentions of burying it to the dash.. but I have put the Ranchers winch to good use many times (in all fairness it has stock tires still).. see my avatar lol.

Again.. any help is greatly appreciated. My wife and I have been weighing our options, as we sold our boat last year and would like another fun family toy... but a boat isn't fun in the rain, and doesn't do snow lol. I thought the kids would really enjoy going to Hatfield too. So my hope is that I can figure out if a UTV can do more than recreation to justify the purchase.

Thanks again,
Nick

p.s. I will be posting this on another forum as well (so I apologize if you read this elsewhere).

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the pioneer would be perfect for you. It has plenty of pulling power for your needs even if it lacks speed and acceleration. In fact that is the biggest gripe people seem to have, it is a little under powered as fas as speed up steep inclines and acceleration go but still seems to have plenty of power to pull load, just no too fast. The second biggest gripe is the front shocks are not the greatest. The buggy is fun to drive around but will bottom hard on the front is you take bumps too fast. There are some things to help this, and if you keep in mind its not a sport model its not a big deal.

Ive heard rumor in 2015 of 5 seats and 1000cc but I give little credit to rather claim, but who knows.

The back seats are plenty large enough and comfortable for adults, they are not first class seats but do the job fine considering they shoved 4 seats in a buggy previously only thought of as a 2 seater size. They are very safe for your kids. I take mine all the time and they love it. They have netting to keep hands in and full shoulder harness seat belts.

I don't use it for snow removal but I know others do and hopefully they will comment on that.

It can handle some mud. Not sure about water over the seat level (probably not a good idea) but it does have a diff lock and does as well as any others I have rode with in deep mud.

There are plenty of accessory available from honda even if the aftermarket has not caught up yet. More accessories will continue to come on line as popularity grows.

Price is right where it should be. You would pay a lot more for many less reliable machines.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. I know I posted a bunch of questions.... as I get very long winded. I just want to make sure I make the right choice before investing so much money (as I don't have the disposable cash to buy one and turn around and hate it lol). I am very interested in driving one (no one seems to have any in stock around here, although i'm sure someone local will have one I can test out before long).

The ground engaging.. I don't need to do anything to crazy with it. I would like to utilize some of my Category 0 and 1 attachments. I know Kolpin makes a system
that uses a linear actuator. I actually have most of the parts to build my own.. and thought this would be great for doing food plots on the property where I can't get my Bolens tractor to. I also thought it would be handy for dragging around a 4-5 foot grader blade (and possibly for moving snow). I know it wouldn't be as ideal as a front plow, but much cheaper. I already own a 5ft back blade, small disk, cultivator, and plow. All of them should fit something like the Kolpin.

Here is a picture of my plow behind the Bolens for reference 20140507 201618

I wouldn't want to take it in water up over the seats.. but I do like crossing small creeks in the rancher. With the exception of this last trip.. I never get to crazy with the rancher ;)

Again, I really appreciate the help. I just want to make sure I do plenty of research before making the investment.

Thanks again,
Nick

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you want a good all around , dependable SxS the Pioneer excels in that description.
If you want to set your hair on fire with speed and spray everyone 50yds back with mud get a CanAm.

Power/torque: (256) 25-45' full pine trees (6-12" diameter with top intact) later still going strong no issues. Try doing that with a rubber band!!! I have video proof just not going to post it for Honda to use against me for warranty reasons. PM me if you want it.

Brush grabber works but wouldn't try it for larger brush like the tree you have pictured it'll just spin the tires.

Balance: very low center of gravity. The ROPS makes it appear top heavy but even putting a full cab, 2.5" lift and 27" tires on it. It only starts to feel different then. 4 grown men can fit, but that's when it starts to understandably feel a little tipsy you added close to 50% additional weight of the entire vehicle above the previous center of gravity.

MUST haves: Full cab in cold(these warms southern summer breezes have me not liking the cold winter wind) possibly a heater.
Light bar the factory lamps are inadequate.
WINCH!!! 3500lb minimum if you're using a snatch block. Really recommend a 4500lb.

Size: squeeze yes think 500lb man in economy class. Trailer is better Minimum 6x10. It's 1500lbs so unless you've got a ¾ ton I wouldn't recommend it... Makes the truck unsettled at hwy speed.

Mud: I haven't had mine buried yet, got it stuck coming out of a wet sandy creek, but it was factory tires and an odd angle. But mud hole and water was up to bottom of seat(with 5" extra of ground clearance from lift and tires) and was able to get through.

3point Attachment: You would need to brace the receiver to provide downforce. It can handle downward tongue weight from a trailer but when you push down with the receiver it pushes up on it in a way it was not designed for.

Someone else ran into that issue and resolved it by welding in additional bracing and they use it for plots.

Pulling and carrying are great though, so a mower or grader blade moving snow are fine( unless you're pushing down to break ice)

I have a 16hp 4x4 Kubota that we got real cheap that I use for plots it has a 4' rotary, mid mount finish, and cat1 3point attachment.

ESP: would be nice but I'm afraid I'd tear something up in 4-Lock if I did that. Which is the only time I think I'd like to have it.

I'll get it because my wife is not quite strong enough to drive it and it not wear her out quickly.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
ohanacreek - thank you for the response. I would love to see a video if you have one. We have a bunch of dead popular tree's on our property that I would like to slowly start removing. I would like to utilize some of them for firewood and others for lumber. I have an IH 504 with loader, and access to a Kubota BX24. I also have 5 total Bolens tractors and a Cub loboy (I have a slight GT addiction lol). However, none are comfortable pulling the brush hog. The Rancher is a work out and gets hot (it's a 350 air cooled model). The ESP does make pulling it a little easier though... but it does get toasty at times. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or IM me on here. Thanks again!

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
It will fit in a short bed Chevy. Reccomend a 2500 or bigger. Pulls logs pretty good. I don't do the amount of ag work you do but i hope the pic shows some of the capabilities of the machine. sorry i haven't figured out how to load pics yet....

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Simpleman said:
It will fit in a short bed Chevy. Reccomend a 2500 or bigger. Pulls logs pretty good. I don't do the amount of ag work you do but i hope the pic shows some of the capabilities of the machine. sorry i haven't figured out how to load pics yet....

See Upload instructions here

viewtopic.php?t=662#p3618

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
Thanks for the help on uploading pics. My other pictures file size is too big to load. I'll work on that. It is a tight squeeze to get it in the bed. I ended up using trailer jack stands under the frame of the sxs to the bed of the truck to take the weight and stress off of the tailgate. I do get a lot of looks when driving through town to my destination.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,292
Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
It was a decent size log and maybe a bit of dry rot but the machine pulled it like a mule! I actually broke it off when I was tugging on it. So far the Honda has met my expectations for a utility sxs. Great drivetrain in these machines the same as the Rincon. I had one with over 5k miles on it and never had a problem. No belts to get wet and slip or burn up. For the money I don't think you can beat the Pioneer. More power is always nice but it seams to get the job done. Good luck on your search for a sxs that meets all your needs.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,344
nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
My wife and I went to some local dealers yesterday to scope out the different models. Unfortunately no one around here has a Pioneer. We looked at the Viking Crew... which was way to big. The Mule Pro FXT (which I really like except for the super thin cheap bench seats) a Teryx4, Ranger 800 crew and a Commander Max XT. I can say without a doubt, the only one I would consider out of those is the Mule Pro FXT, and I don't think it compares the Honda for what i'm looking for. I just hope one of the local dealers (local... within 100 miles of the house) gets one in stock.

I actually requested a quote from Honda of Chattanooga because I see them advertising everywhere. It would be a crazy long drive from SE Ohio to TN... but it might make for a really cool trip for the wife and I. I just want to drive one first, i'm sold on the looks and function of the bed/seats. Now I just need to get a handle for what it feels like and how comfortable my wife and kids will be.

Thanks again!

Nick

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome Nick, when Kevin from Chattanooga responds be sure to tell him u r a member of HondaSxS.com. I made a 13 hour round trip just to buy from them. Saved a truckload vs my local dealer.

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
Thanks! I messaged them online but haven't heard anything. I wouldn't mind the trip, could be a lot of fun

N

Nuke

Aug 12, 2014
I live in Chattanooga and bought mine here, I spent a couple months looking at all the different models. I'm a Honda man so I leaned toward my favorite but I went to local riding area and watched Polaris, Yamaha, can am and Honda. Most were older and ridden hard. At the time honda was new kid on the block with the pioneer. Honda pulled the Polaris out of the woods broken belt. The Yamaha was Hondas only competition utility wise the others were sport SXS and just not what I wanted. The real transmission nailed it down for me. Belts drives are ok I guess never had one. I tend to creep around haul wood pull trailer for brush clean up and fencing. The grandkids love the 700-4 and so do I. Best buy for me and my utility situation.

D

dwigmore

Nov 21, 2014
I put mine in the back of an F350 crew Cab with the regular 6.5' box. I got a hitch extension from the local hitch dealer, and tow a 35' RV behind. Works great, but I did get expert advice on the set-up of the weight distribution hitch.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nick, Did you ever get a Pioneer yet? I see you live in SE Ohio, Right. I live in central Ohio between Zanesville and Newark. The local dealer here has Pioneer's in stock.
If you want your are more than welcome to come and drive mine around the farm and back roads to see if you really like it. Just IM me for info if you are interested. TandT

nglauer

nglauer

Nov 15, 2014
I'm apprentice horrible with replies. Thanks TandT. I haven't purchased anything yet, just patiently waiting.