Brand New Pioneer 700-4 smoking

R

ryanmon1

Oct 13, 2014
SO i bought a brand new 2014 honda pioneer 700-4 and loved it for the first 5 trips. took it back to the dealer for the first service and my first ride out after that the machine backfired like crazy. Took it easy and put it up. Took it out the next day to test it and the machine is POURING blue smoke out the exhaust. I also noticed the fan does not cut on any more to cool the machine down. I put 6 hours on it since it was serviced by the dealer and it had a clean bill of health. Now my problem is the dealer has had it for 2 weeks and still hasnt even touched the machine. I asked them for a diagnosis and they told me it might be a while before they can even get to it as a honda rep is going to have to make a special trip out to see the machine first hand. What is an appropriate amount of time to wait or what should i be doing differently to make this process a little faster? Its under warranty plus i paid for an extended warranty. I called Honda and they were absolutely no help. I asked if i should take it to another dealer and they told me no just to wait it out. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dude, thats not good.
Sounds like whoever did your valves did not do them correctly. I have seen first hand the "professional" service some dealers bring these days. I think it is because there in a rush to take your $80 for a 20 min job that they finish in 5.

Not to name the dealer... But are they a "HONDA ONLY" dealer? I sure hope there not a PowerHouse dealer?

I would be raising cane with the dealer and Honda. Who knows what could be messed up. A valves not set correctly can cause loads of damage. The repair time would depend on what is wrong. If its a easy adjustment fix you would have it back. But, with that not being the case... I'm sorry to say this... But I bet the head is going to have to come off. At the 30 day mark I would be asking for a loner if you have any upcoming trips.

Word of advice, make sure you record all your contacts and there responses. Hopefully you want need them and they will get you fixed up next week.

As for the fan, It only runs when it gets hot enough to trigger.

I wish you luck.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I agree.Sounds like they screwed up the Valve adjustment

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
valve adjustment wont make it smoke, to much oil will did you check it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
... Do you think it could of bent a shaft. That would break the stem seal and allow oil to get in.
That was more what I was thinking.
But I'm no mechanic so it's just a opinion.

R

ryanmon1

Oct 13, 2014
HEy, thanks for the replies. The fan isnt cutting on at all, it worked before and I know how the fan operates to know something was a miss. IM thinking that could be related but idk for sure. Over heated and burnt it up is what im guessing. And yes it is a powerhouse dealer. Honda of Columbia in Columbia, SC to be exact. They seem like good people, they really do, so i hope that is correct.

Here's the update on it. Honda rep had no new info and was hoping to get it this week, thats at 10 am. I find that unacceptable so i call honda rep ive been in contact with at 11am. I am told he is on the phone but they are showing an update in status but the rep will need to discuss it with me. He calls back and says the motor is torn down but they have found nothing wrong with it. Say what? 2 things,1st is an hour ago the guy had not even looked at it and was unsure of when he could even get to it and an hour later the motor is torn down? 2nd issue is My machine is DUMPING smoke out the exhaust and boiling over the radiator its so hot and you found nothing wrong with it? He said all they found was a loose exhaust bracket. I think i see whats coming but i hope i am just being a pessimist and will be proven wrong and they stand by their work/product.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Something smells in Columbia and it's emanating from the Honda dealer. I thinketh they're trying to blow blue Smoke from your Pioneer up your Kilt. Sadly, I don't think they will ever admit what really happened during the service. I'm sure they will fix the smoke and heating issue; my concern would be if the valve adjustment was done wrong and it did bend a valve, you would have other collateral damage as well. Simply replacing the valve and / or piston may make the smoke go away, but you could have latent damage that may not manifest for a number of hours ( beyond the warranty period). If they continue to claim they have found nothing, ask if you can take pictures of the head, valves, seats and top of piston before they put it back together ( assuming they actually tore the motor down). This will get their attention and may offer needed evidence for the future - if you ever need it.
Good Luck.

R

ryanmon1

Oct 13, 2014
well here is the update. In the end the dealer did the right thing as did honda. Im not sure what all happened that i dont know about but i wasnt charged anything and i got my machine back in what seems to be perfect working order. Its too bad that it happened BUT the dealership did the right thing. Might have jumped the gun and was impatient with them but it was taking a little too long IMO. The techs were nice about everything and Honda honored the machines warranty. So now that i am finally at the end I guess i cant complain about the final result.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
My dealer did a BAD job on my first service. Just ask anyone that was at WindRock last March. But the dealer took care of it and made it right.

sxs2015

sxs2015

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Maine USA
Makes me think..........When i had my 100 mile done... all they did was just the oil. I am happy about that.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Glad to see the dealer and Honda took care of everything.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!