first oil change 100 miles

J

JohnnyUtah

May 16, 2014
Guys,
I hit my 100 mile mark and now need to do the initial break in service. I read the manual and outside of just checking the machine over the oil change and filter check seems to be the only service needed.

I have never changed the oil in my other SxS, but am sure I can do it. Is it a pretty simple or is it worth taking it in for a service?
thoughts?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It's easy to do. Have you bought the oil and filter yet?
Pay attention when removing the filter. There is a spring and a washer they should be installed in the same order. Washer gets stuck to the filter sometimes and people miss it.
Other then that. Filling it back up is a slow process.

When you get done. Cut your old filter open and see all the metal shavings. That's why it's important.

Hit us up if you have any questions.
Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Book also reccomends valve adjustment. Some do it.. some don't.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Yes changing the oil is a easy process but as hondasxs stated putting the oil back in is a slow process you have to pour extremely slow.

pilsbury38

pilsbury38

Oct 12, 2014
Changed my oil for the first time today and was surprised to find the drain plug finger right and leaking, hard to find good help I guess

B

bigDhonda

Oct 21, 2014
I firmly believe that you all should be using Honda oil products for your new rides, they have been tested and proven adequate for all Honda products. Yes I work at a Honda shop in Nebraska. I learned that oil stuff pretty good, ugh? I also noticed in here someone said to be sure the spring and washer get put back in correctly when reinstalling the oil filter, they're also correct that the washer will stick to the oil filter when removed. also, you should replace or just be certain that the drain plug washer is there. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN DRAIN PLUG!! very expensive to repair properly.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very easy. Follow the manual and no worries. FYI mine took a full 4qts to satisfy the stick. Also 4qts came out

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
bidDhonda, welcome to the community. I thank you for your post and invite you to continue providing advice in the future. The more knowledgable the member base the better.

Though I have thought about changing to a different type oil for my motor I have been reluctant for your very reasons. Cant say the same for the diff's tho, moving to a heavier weight sure quietened them down.... But thats in a different topic. lol.

Hope to see you around.
Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!