Gotta Lemmon, very sad

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
Thought it was a bad battery. It was not bad. Now with 55 miles on it and three weekends lost. It looks like the reason for being stranded three times is a dead short or a bad alternator. Last Saturday the electrical system failed while 10 miles from camp. Here is what I observed. First the D to the left of the speedo was flashing a dash symbol. Second it would not shift out of second. Had to get it into reverse. It was a struggle. However it was nearly impossible to get it back into drive. Recharged battery with a battery charger and things worked fine for the first few minutes. Hard to believe the Bullet Proof Honda brand promise. I think I gotta Lemmon. Help! It takes at least four hours to get it to the nearest Honda Dealer, and that is just one way. I'd rather fix it myself.

Does anyone know how to get through to Honda?

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
I have heard of time where the honda dealer sends a tech to the house to do repairs if you live a long way from the dealer

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello,
This one issue does not consider it a lemon. It could be something simple or at worse the alternator.
We are here to help you work it out.

Here is some info from the service manual about the battery and charging.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories that use power?
Winch, Lights, Radio...
Who installed them?
Read the section about checking about voltage leak.

Have you tested the voltage when running? Do you get 14+ volts?
If so the alternator is good.

How did you charge the battery?
You should only use a automatic trickle charger. or at most an automatic 1-2 amp slow charger.
Charge it overnight. Test the voltage. Is must read 12 volts to be considered good.
After a good charge, disconnect the battery while not in use. Do not leave it hooked up to the sxs.
do this for a few days. Check to insure battery is holding voltage on its own.

I'm sure there are some other test. But that is the extent of my battery testing knowledge.
Keep us informed.
Thanks.

Attachments

• battery-charging.pdf
    742.6 KB · Views: 177
W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
One issue is too many for me. No more Honda. I expect more, don't like to be stranded.

Honda has a reputation for working well from day one. I know as I have four right now. Furthermore, I've had more than 20 motor toys such as motorcycles, ATVs, and now a sxs. More than a dozen were honda, new ones. Never had a problem in 35+ years.

The word Lemmon: I am starting out with a dim view of this sxs which (I hope) will brighten over time (see comet).

Thanks for the technical stuff. No accessories installed.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Some will agree with you on the Lemon issue. But keep in mind that buying a 1st year model of ANYTHING is like Russian roulette. Some are lucky and some end up with bugs. After waiting out the Big Red I reluctantly jumped into the 1st Pioneer I could get. Even with the 1st model year thing pulling me back. I will also say that one problem out of 20 machines or 30+ years is a pretty good track record. But, look at what happened to Briggs & Stratton. They turned to junk trying to keep up with the Chinese. Hopefully the tale isn't the same for Honda trying to catch up to everyone else in the sxs business.

My 1st step would be to call the dealer and let him know you are not happy. Maybe mention that you posted on a bunch of forums looking for the problem.

Did you happen to short anything when charging the battery? Electronics these days are touchy at best. Also check all grounds. The battery ground, and then crawl all over the thing checking for loose grounds or grounds with paint or bad contacts. Hope this helps!

T

Tritonman

Dec 2, 2013
Check the ground wire from the motor to the frame. Mine was loose and gave me fits similar to yours. Got that figured out and now all is good. My original battery was bad, thEn I had issues where it would not shift and just sputter.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Tritonman said:
Check the ground wire from the motor to the frame. Mine was loose and gave me fits similar to yours.

That would be the first place I would check

L

longbeards

Feb 25, 2014
Sorry to see you going thought the hassel,,,I have run atvs since the late 70s,,,and Honda has always been top notch,,,,I purchased a Pioneer about 3 months ago and have close to 300 miles on it on the farm and the mts of WV,,,and have been nothing but impressed!

I will say I feel Honda needs to work on their pubic relations....my local dealer is not happy I did not buy from him,,,,and told me so,,,but as the old saying,,,Money talks,,,and I bought cheaper elsewhere!!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you find a solution to this yet?

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
Delayed response due to vacation... Made trip to country to work on it. Tried to get it going, with battery charger attached, it turned over, but would not start. So I couldn't do any voltage checks. Ground wire appeared solid. Connection we're too. Dealer is coming to get it on Saturday. They will also install accessories. I am to pick it up in about ten days from now. Getting excited again as pick up date is close to birthday and fall riding. Love the change of season and fall weather. I beleive this Lemmon with have a bright ending.

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
Dealer is coming to get the machine. Wel'll see what the diagnosis is, I will post accordingly.

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
Farmer said:
Did you find a solution to this yet?
Dealer coming to pick it up Saturday Sept. 13, I let you know.

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
With just over 50 miles on it, the dealer picked it up. Assuming that it is not too much to fix, I will pick it up this Saturday and post more on Sunday.

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
Dealer picked it up, and will get it next Saturday.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
They will have it fixed in no time. I'm actually surprised there have not been too many issues. Beyond the muffler issue from some of the first runs and a few bolts they forgot to torque there really hasn't been anything major.
I'm sure yours will be the same.

W

Wardhp700

Aug 11, 2014
I called the dealer. The trouble was the voltage regulator was not plugged in fully. This made me crazy as the unit is in a remote location. Surely someone at the factory in South Carolina responsible for doing this job should catch hell. It made me crazy as I came to expect perfection from Honda. And Honda was more than happy to let me expect perfection. Moreover I made Honda and the dealer crazy too. Mistakes cost money. I cooked two batteries.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Main thing is they have it fixed up and your good to go now. In a perfect world everything would run smooth but that would be boring don't ya think. Were people and we do make mistakes ,were all guilty of making some oops at one time or another,at least I am at times.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Glad it was not anything major. Did you try to talk them into paying for the battery?

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
slowdryrider said:
Main thing is they have it fixed up and your good to go now. In a perfect world everything would run smooth but that would be boring don't ya think. Were people and we do make mistakes ,were all guilty of making some oops at one time or another,at least I am at times.

Yeah, I would also chalk this one up to the 1st model year thing again. It takes time to work out the kinks. Especially if the kinks are bad/sloppy employees. Also with the internet these days you hear a lot more about these little things. The good old Hondas were made before we even had cell phones to call a buddy and complain. Now you get one or two negative postings online and I swear some people think it's a huge problem and Honda is going down hill.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!