Water in Frame and ROPS!

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
My daughter-in-law brought me the new skid plate that was recalled . In the process of removing the old skid plate when I pulled the bolts out of the rear cross member about a pint or more of water came out of the bolt holes. That doesn't seem like a good thing to have water trapped in the frame like that. looking at the cross member from underneath there is a small hole in the center about halfway up the side of the tubing. Should I try to plug this hole and any more that might be in it or drill a couple of drain holes through the skid plate and frame for the water to drain out? The funny part is I haven't been in water much at all.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I figured the fame held water. But if you haven't even been in water... where do you think it came from?

It is actually more common then people expect, as many frames get full of mud, water, and silt.
If you play in water you will see rust drips. Over time they will seal up and stop but its normal.
We cut a rancher frame apart one time and the lower part was full of fine silt.

If anything, I would drill some drain holes.

About the skid... If you get time. Let us know what you think about the skid plate here --> honda-news/skid-plate-recall-update-700p4-t1763.html

Thanks.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
My wife reminded me that we did go through a semi deep waterhole on a ride a couple of weeks ago .That's where the water must have gotten in. The side main frames were fine and no water in the front cross brace just the rear. Thinking of plugging the weep holes or drilling a couple of drains. Ill have to drop the plate and take another look at how many holes are in that cross member. Didn't think to much of the skid plate. I wasn't going to replace it but she went through the trouble of getting one and delivering it so I decided to put it on. Exactly like the old one only a couple of big holes cut in it. You would think they could have made it out of a little heavier material at least. I wanted to keep the original plate but she had to take the old one back with her. Oh well makes it easier to wash the crap out from the top of the plate.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I wouldn't worry about plugging them. You will never get them all. I find new ones every time I look over the rig.

R

radarluv

May 29, 2014
Had the same thing happen with water coming out of the cross brace when I was taking the skid place off. Rusty looking water. I was wondering the same thing whether to drill a hole to keep drained, but then I'm inviting other rust makers into the brace. I haven't been in any water, I suppose when I washed it could have gotten in? Don't know what to do if anything, Thank God it wasn't an oily type substance coming from the brace, which I at first thought it was. :roll:

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok... This has me stumped. This cant be from washing it, can it?
I installed the skid plate in early March. The only ride I have been on was to WindRock. And there was not any deep water there. So that only leave me to assume all this water is from me washing it with the pressure washer two times. That is a lot of water!!!
I know most all the tubes have weep holes. Even looking down some of the pipes I can see weep holes where they butt up to each other. But I'm amazed at this!
I will be keeping a eye on this. If it happens again I will drill some weep holes!

IMG 5575
IMG 5576
IMG 5577

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you drill don't forget to treat the metal the best you can. You don't want to add to the rust problem.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I took mine out after WindRock there was probably a quart of water that came out.

Last edited:
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I have never checked to see if i had water in mine. Is there a plug there i need to remove?

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I checked mine today and got 6 oz out of it into a measuring cup. When I drilled a weep hole on the left and right bottom of the cross member I got another oz out of it

A

atv

Feb 13, 2013
Ownership

1. Big Red
I heard a rumor that Honda plans to add a dip stick and drain plug to that section of the frame, and will also include the appropriate "frame water" change interval in the maintenance schedule. :D
haha... Looks like they will need to do this. lol

Shadow

Shadow

May 26, 2015
Was mounting my license plate today on the back roll cage under the bed and once I drilled a hole in the center of the bar water started leaking out. I decided to drill a hole on the bottom and water drained out for about 5-10 minutes. I would imagine its not ideal to be holding water in your roll bars, especially since it started coming out rust colored at the end. Anyways, just a heads up.
IMG 1702
IMG 1703

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks @Shadow, I'm going to have to check mine as I haven't been afraid to hose it down with the pressure washer. I have been in deep water but not that deep... YET!

PS. Combined your post with another we already had running.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I heard a rumor that Honda plans to add a dip stick and drain plug to that section of the frame, and will also include the appropriate "frame water" change interval in the maintenance schedule. :D
After I install the dip stick and drain, where do I add the water? In the dipstick hole?
Do I run thinner water in the summer? Also, is there a synthetic I should consider ?

Reactions: bobbyhill
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
You know, on a serious note. What if the frame or roll cage gets filled with water and freezes in the winter? That could be bad. Ever seen a copper pipe that froze and split?
Maybe we should consider adding antifreeze.

RunningBear

RunningBear

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After I install the dip stick and drain, where do I add the water? In the dipstick hole?
Do I run thinner water in the summer? Also, is there a synthetic I should consider ?

Amsoil is coming out with a synthetic "frame water" formulation that's superior to others. It will allow for longer change intervals and the viscosity will automatically change with temperature, especially below freezing.

Reactions: ohanacreek
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
;)I went down to Honda and NAPA to look for this stuff but I couldn't find any. the stuff is really flying off the shelves! lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!