DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

I have a cold, so i sound even funnier than i normally sound....

Some have ask about the Pioneers ability at high elevations. Here is some proof. I was by myself and weigh about 270, and had maybe 50lbs of gear with me, running 91 gas.

The 1st hill was pretty steep, but nothing outside the abilities of any quad/SxS. I am a little surprised that it climbed this, but add another 1000' feet or another person, and i don't think it would happen. After the vid i went back down and came up again. Got hung up on the big rock, stalled, backed up, dug holes...and finally got past it. The preferred line would have been to put a tire ON the rock, but i already knew it wouldn't pull this.
Further up, i did dig into the same section where it almost stalled the 1st time, and did stall, but was able to get it going again, and made it up.

Second part was the real surprise. I've heard Manly bug complain about not being able to spin all 4 in snow at 10'000 feet. I saw his vids at Moab ( 4500' ) and criticized him for not finding out what was wrong with his Pioneer, as it didn't seem to be doing well. Seems i owe him a bit of an apology, as it doesn't matter. Snow, 9300', 4wd-lock...and tires bogging. This scenario happened several times during my snow time.

This beaks my heart. I love the Pioneer, and have been trying to overlook its' one major fault. I've never really subjected it to a true test of power until this ride, and it is clear that a lack of low range limits what i can do up here. I was hoping it just "felt" like it might do this, but the video don't lie.

Below 5-6K feet, i think it would do anything you could ask...and if you never go above that, ignore this post and enjoy your excellent machine. I ride these higher elevations often, and i will not tolerate a machine that limits where and what i can ride.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG,
Do you think that a EFI programmer would help any by better controlling the fuel input. I have been looking for one but there not out yet.

The Pioneer saddens me in regards to your video. I find it to be a good overall machine but something has got to improve. Honda must work to add another gear or something if they ever plan to enter the sport division.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hondasxs said:
DG,
Do you think that a EFI programmer would help any by better controlling the fuel input. I have been looking for one but there not out yet.

The Pioneer saddens me in regards to your video. I find it to be a good overall machine but something has got to improve. Honda must work to add another gear or something if they ever plan to enter the sport division.
HondaSxS, i have been looking toward a PC5 and uni filter as the possible salvation for this machine, but from what i saw yesterday, it would need another 5...maybe 10 HP to become truly capable of what its billed as. I don't see them giving more than 2-3 HP at the most. Maybe I'm wrong.

As to your comments, i agree 110%. If it were junk, i would simply piss on it and trade it without concern. As it is, it is so good in almost every other respect that is a tremendous shame that its one major fault is such a deal breaker. I can fix Polaris ball-joints and replace belts. There is no reasonable way to "fix" the Pioneer's one wart. Yeah, i could put big bore kits and other such things in it...but i refuse to do that to a new machine.

You just want to call up Honda and ask: "What the hell were you thinking?"

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
I to also hate to see this.Just curious looked up my elevation here in TN and it says around 1800ft I will never be close to anything like you are riding.For what I use it for with a family of 4 I love my pioneer but hate for my first sxs power being a issue.I was shocked how you backed back down and started from a dead stop and it climbed right up makes me wonder if this adaptive learning it has could be a issue sounded like when you started from bottom although it didn't shift into 2nd sounded like it was wanting to then when you started from dead stop you were back at its lowest gear in the power.But what ever the reason the issue needs to be fixed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
nagromr1 said:
I to also hate to see this.Just curious looked up my elevation here in TN and it says around 1800ft I will never be close to anything like you are riding.For what I use it for with a family of 4 I love my pioneer but hate for my first sxs power being a issue.I was shocked how you backed back down and started from a dead stop and it climbed right up makes me wonder if this adaptive learning it has could be a issue sounded like when you started from bottom although it didn't shift into 2nd sounded like it was wanting to then when you started from dead stop you were back at its lowest gear in the power.But what ever the reason the issue needs to be fixed.
There's no way it would ever get enough speed on this climb to hit second, and if it did, it would be like putting the parking brake on. I was also surprised when it started off, since it all but stalled going up the 1st time. Maybe i hit a small rock the 1st time...and yes, that would be enough to make a difference in a Pioneer. On my second attempt after the vid, i dug i just a bit at the same point and stalled, but was able to back up and get going again.
At your elevation, this will never be a problem for you.

FYI to all viewers: It was in 4WD non-diff lock in the hill..simply because it wasn't spinning and didn't need it. If it had needed diff-lock, it wouldn't have pulled it anyway. Snow section was diff-lock the whole time.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
DG Rider said:
Below 5-6K feet, i think it would do anything you could ask...and if you never go above that, ignore this post and enjoy your excellent machine..

Will do- I think you just need to sell it and buy something else.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
DG Rider said:
Hondasxs said:
DG,

HondaSxS, i have been looking toward a PC5 and uni filter as the possible salvation for this machine, but from what i saw yesterday, it would need another 5...maybe 10 HP to become truly capable of what its billed as. I don't see them giving more than 2-3 HP at the most. Maybe I'm wrong.

As to your comments, i agree 110%. If it were junk, i would simply piss on it and trade it without concern. As it is, it is so good in almost every other respect that is a tremendous shame that its one major fault is such a deal breaker. I can fix Polaris ball-joints and replace belts. There is no reasonable way to "fix" the Pioneer's one wart. Yeah, i could put big bore kits and other such things in it...but i refuse to do that to a new machine.

You just want to call up Honda and ask: "What the hell were you thinking?"

This is very concerning. In the Spring/ Summer, I was planning some riding in high country ( 8,000'-11,000'). Last fall I took my Pioneer up high (hunting) and while I could tell the attitude was having an effect on the power, however, I never had an issue with it climbing and stalling. I notice it could use a lower gear when the motor HP is reduced at high altitudes. I'm hoping the aftermarket will come out soon with something ( Motor enhancement/ Turbo or a mechanical gearing) solutions that will address the issue for those of us that ride up in the rarified air. Some of my riding buddy's have installed aftermarket turbo's on their RZR's that seemed to really make a BIG difference in power even at the higher elevations.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
UPDATE:
I talked to the service guy a few hours ago...
He said he had a couple of techs drive it. Now, understandably, there aren't exactly 5 Pioneers sitting in their shop to compare it to, but he said the the techs said that it did feel "down on power". Perhaps even more interestingly ( and reiterating something I've posted before ), they said that the machine didn't seem consistent in its power production...IE, sometimes it runs good, other times not.
He was waiting for the exhaust to cool, so he could remove it and check the inlet side for obstruction. He also said that Honda ( via the tech-line thing ) hadn't been real helpful thus far. Waiting for his call.

A small glimmer of hope....

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
DG Rider, Keep us informed on the outcome. From the recent (and growing) reports of power loss issues from Pioneer owners, most are finding the muffler as the cause. I suspect as more and more owners get some miles on their machines, the latent muffler (internal weld failure) will become more and more prevalent. Let's hope your power loss issue is as simple as replacing the muffler - easy fix.

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Yes keep us posted.Hopefully it will be a exhaust issue for you and not the machine is lacking in higher elevations. If it turns out to be the exhaust will start keeping a eye on honda and see what they do like me really have no place to ride but on farm so I am not getting to put a lot of miles on mine so it might take longer to become a issue.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...machine is back in my possession.

Dealer could find nothing wrong with the exhaust or anything else. Honda was of no help.

But...just to make sure the exhaust wasn't the issue, they left it leaking at the head, and left the muffler connection a full 2 inches from where it should be. This is why i do my own work...as this isn't exactly rocket science. Goes back tomorrow for try number 2 on the exhaust, and then on CL.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Damn DG...so what are you looking into for you next toy?...sounds like your ready for one?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HondaTim said:
Damn DG...so what are you looking into for you next toy?...sounds like your ready for one?
I think a Ranger 570 is my second choice behind the Pioneer. I never really needed 4 seats...just liked the feature.

Drove one recently and was really surprised at how quiet, nice riding, and easy steering it was. Cheap too.
IF i an across a killer deal on a very clean used Rhino, i might be tempted, but they are so loud.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
How much difference is the power?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I hope Honda comes up with a solution. I have 1100 miles on mine and it doesn't matter what the elevation is. It's just needs more power. I think 10% or 20% more power would cure it. It has so many great features and Honda quality. Great transmission, easy to service great ride. Help Honda !!! just a little more HP and it would put the others to shame.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lynn said:
Well I can say I've solved that power problem for me with a 18.8% increase in acceleration. see video's on this web site under Honda pioneer supercharged. I also changed the exhaust tip with an aftermarket large dia tip for a Rubicon. It's a pain to swap the spark arrester screen however. I'm going to post a photo of the exhaust tip comparison soon.

Lynn, Thank you very much for your efforts. I'm not at Altitude but I'll be adding a blower at some point, since it makes that much difference. It will be a great way to overcome taller tires in the mud.

G

GeraldNewton

Apr 10, 2015
I think all you had to do was push the break peddle so it downshifts. I had the same problem my first time until I learned this trick.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!