ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have removed the rivets and fugly safety placard. I am going to have a local plastics company I do business with at work, water jet me a switch panel that fits in the space.
I will be using a HDPE that has roughly the same texture and color of the Honda plastic. I mentioned this on another thread and several members said they were interested in a copy once I finished and suggested I create a thread to sort of open source a design.

So far I was thinking 6-8 switches and a Voltmeter. Need to measure and see if two rows will fit I think It will be tight if they will.
Something similar to this layout with the Voltmeter and Volume to the right.

I personally am going to use these Carling style switches or something similar http://otrattw.com/products.php?cat=31 they are all a standardized size, so if I need to replace one later its not an issue and I can find them laser etched to say almost anything i.e.: "Sasquatch Lights"

I was going to use a standard 2-1/16th voltmeter but I found this nifty 2" one here that is by Honda Marine Division that has Honda on it
http://electricalconnection.com/meters_indicators/gl18-volt-honda.htm
I think this http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-37450-ZW5-000ZA.htmlis the same part.

Then I can drill a hole for the volume on this
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3A-4-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B003K154IE/?tag=sxsweb24-20

In the end I know I will have spent close to half what I would have for the Honda panel by the time I also buy wire and a fuse panel, but it will be easier to reach and have more switches that are/could be labeled to say whatever I want them to and the wire will be run where I want it to terminate.
As I want two aux leads to the rear one for a Kolpin Disc power lift 3point rig as well as control for the pump on a 40gal bed mount Sprayer.
I will also have rear LED lights and the Front LED Light bar as well as Radio power and Dome light leaving me two spare spots.

Any input is appreciated.

I will be ordering my plate sometime in the next week or two.
If anyone wants I'll order more and ship to you for my cost.

Attachments

• IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 4,018
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 3,755
  • SPCH-135-1.jpg
    SPCH-135-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,926
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6 switches will be enough for me... but I'll take either one.
sign me up.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Actually I've paid for and have on order Honda's Switch and Harness plate. I haven't received it yet, but I think I'll stay with my intended plan. I'll still check the reach towards the panel site tomorrow. I'm also somewhat skeptical about the clearance issue with the shift linkages behind the panel.
If anything at all, I am in favor or replacing the Fugly Plate with your custom black plate. Can I order just the plate?

Thanks!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
Actually I've paid for and have on order Honda's Switch and Harness plate. I haven't received it yet, but I think I'll stay with my intended plan. I'll still check the reach towards the panel site tomorrow. I'm also somewhat skeptical about the clearance issue with the shift linkages behind the panel.
If anything at all, I am in favor or replacing the Fugly Plate with your custom black plate. Can I order just the plate?

Thanks!

Yeah Riv, not intending to make any money off of it, just an idea people people seemed to like.
I think the clearance will be close on the top row but there looks to be enough room for a switch and the wire not hit.
I think a radio head unit would DEF not come close to fitting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 456
B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
WOW!!! ohanacreek, I am amazed at how much time and effort you have put into design, research, and sourcing for this...I mean amazed. I would kinda like to see a couple usb power supplies for GPS or charging a camera or phone. Six rocker switches would handle my electricals also, but just like hondasxs suggested, I would be happy with either one, sign me up too. And thanks again for sharing such cool work.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bugnbrian said:
WOW!!! ohanacreek, I am amazed at how much time and effort you have put into design, research, and sourcing for this...I mean amazed. I would kinda like to see a couple usb power supplies for GPS or charging a camera or phone. Six rocker switches would handle my electricals also, but just like hondasxs suggested, I would be happy with either one, sign me up too. And thanks again for sharing such cool work.

Thanks Brian, I didn't consider USB because I picked up a dual 2.1amp cig/accessory port adapter at FedEx for $7.99.

http://www.burnsmoto.com/waterproof-usb-charger-socket-panel-mount.php like this?

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
That is Sweet! I ordered the factory switch panel as well and would like to move it to center as well I'd hate to cover that little compartment above the glove box when there's all that room in the middle. Definitely will be watching this post for updates! Thanks for sharing!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
I'm also somewhat skeptical about the clearance issue with the shift linkages behind the panel.

Riv, you were right there is limited space behind the panel. Using a Autozone toggle you could probably run switches across the bottom.

You can run 8 Carling Style switches across the top row, there is enough room for one on the left side lower row and 2 on the right side lower row,
or 8 across the top, Dual USB outlet lower left and the 2" Honda Voltmeter lower left.

See the crude mockup pictures attached.

I have had some time to tinker. Its pouring rain here and I have no roof yet. :( Good news is its supposed to stop tomorrow so I will get to dirty it and clean it up at some point tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 3,607
  • IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 3,570
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
In all honesty, how many switches would be needed?
1) Front Flood Lights
2) Aft Flood Lights
3) Winch
4) Heater
5) Windshield Wiper

In my case, I'd need all but the wiper and heater. Any other ideas as to what else to fire up?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want two aux leads to the rear one for a Kolpin Disc power lift 3point rig as well as control for the pump on a bed mount Sprayer.
I will also have rear LED lights and the Front LED Light bar as well as Radio power and Dome light leaving me two spare spots.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
Ohanacreek, man thanks again for all the effort you have put into this project. I really like the symmetric mock-up. If there isnt a problem with space I would prefer the power point and volt meter on opposite sides but that's just because my usual right seat passenger is a teenager who always has an iSomething plugged up to a usb port. But seriously, I am being awfully picky to even say that, it really is genius and will look amazing. I don't need too many switches right now, but I never know what I may want to add later so I personally would like to have as many extra switches as space allows. Also, I really liked the switches you found(plus they offer either green or red lenses for the 'on' light) and the 2" gauge from Honda Marine. The 2" gauge and green switches are definitely the ones I will order, thanks for the leg work.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Brian,
There is not enough room to put the voltmeter on the left, it will only fit on the right.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Final Draft, The holes for the USB will need to be drilled once you purchase a port. Could put a 1/4" pilot hole so that is it already aligned for you guys.

These holes are for a Carling Style switch. The 2" gauge is the honda voltmeter I linked to earlier, standard gauges are 2-1/16"

I'm going to place a order this week if this will work for everyone who is interested.

Attachments

• SwitchPlate layout.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 550
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll take one..
I vote NO on the pilot hole. But something like a dimple may be ok. But not all the way through.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondasxs said:
I'll take one..
I vote NO on the pilot hole. But something like a dimple may be ok. But not all the way through.

Ok, didn't like it either, kinda forced something to be there. No pilot hole, it is.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
I'd vote for your symetrical layout and six switches. That seems like more than most would need / use. Not sure if your making an offer to sell? Price?

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
I'd vote for your symetrical layout and six switches. I may make a gap between each "two switch gang" (two gaps) so they are easier to identify which is being operated. That seems like more switches than most would need / use. Not sure if your making an offer to sell? Price?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
foggy said:
I'd vote for your symetrical layout and six switches. That seems like more than most would need / use. Not sure if your making an offer to sell? Price?

Originally I made a comment about making one, members expressed interest in copies. Not going to profit, but if anyone wants one I'll send them one for cost.

I have 8 switches planned. Going to put a volume control for a marine amp and the honda marine voltmeter.

I will probably add a Dual USB port next to the accessory outlet under the dash. Instead of trying to make it fit in the panel.

Price depends on quantity the more I order the lower, varies by how much of a sheet is left over when the machine it out.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!