My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lynn said:
Homemade manometer test.

Found that removing all the factory snorkel including the 90deg end made a huge difference as shown in the manometer results.

What's the measurement with engine running without the blower?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
The measurement with engine running, blower off should be to the left toward the port in the air box but the neg pressure is so small you really can't see the column of water move. virtually same pressure inside and outside of air box.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131269641137?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
This is an E-bay page link with a photo of a very similar blower motor that I'm using. This one is rated at 235 cfm, and the one I"m using is rated at 270 or 300 cfm from china with 8 metal blades. The Attwood ones I've tested and the cfm is low around 120 cfm (cubic feet per minute). There are some plastic bladed ones rated around 240 cfm which may work fine. I may get one and test it.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks. This will be on my list sometime soon to get done. Probably just modify the intake first for now and get a k&n and see where that gets me.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
update on supercharger project

Thanks to everyone who's viewed this post. Here's the next steps I'm taking. 1. Today I ordered a big Gun exhaust system for my Pioneer and will put it on and test the results.
2. I've identified a improvement I could make and that is the hose from the supercharger motor to the Air Box. I've found some 3" aluminum intake pipe with smooth mandrel bends that should improve the airflow. I will be ordering some of this pipe and testing it soon.
Thanks again for following this project. Oh and just a side note I've run the supercharger for like 2 hrs on a trail ride just to see if there would be any problems. It worked fine at all speeds and idle with no side effects, for those who where curious. My plan however is to just run the supercharger when needed or wanted. (steep climbs or high altitude.)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Lynn, I agree, some smooth pipe should allow for a better flow. I received my blower today. I have been looking for some 3" smooth flexible pipe but unable to locate any. I found 2 inch though. I may start with that and see what I get. Looking at the 700-4 today... Its going to be tough to get to.

Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lynn said:
Thanks to everyone who's viewed this post. Here's the next steps I'm taking. 1. Today I ordered a big Gun exhaust system for my Pioneer and will put it on and test the results.
2. I've identified a improvement I could make and that is the hose from the supercharger motor to the Air Box. I've found some 3" aluminum intake pipe with smooth mandrel bends that should improve the airflow. I will be ordering some of this pipe and testing it soon.
Thanks again for following this project. Oh and just a side note I've run the supercharger for like 2 hrs on a trail ride just to see if there would be any problems. It worked fine at all speeds and idle with no side effects, for those who where curious. My plan however is to just run the supercharger when needed or wanted. (steep climbs or high altitude.)

Did you use a cold air intake pipe?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I used 3" flexible RV sewage hose, but plan to switch to 3" aluminum rigid turbo pipe with a silicon coupler. The trick will be getting the correct angles at both ends.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was wondering what model you found that fit without modification.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I didn't find or look for any model to fit. I just pieced together parts from my shop or hardware store; If your talking about the intake system. The blower motor I got on E-bay.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Isn't forced air induction what a supercharger does? I guess I don't see the difference. A supercharger can be driven by belt from the motor or by an electric motor but they do the same thing right? I think a belt driven one is capable of producing more pressure I would assume. Do you have a different definition of supercharger?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought forced air was via vehicle movement or: RAM air induction.

In the end it's semantics, tomato tomAtoe.

Lynn's add on works that's what matters to me.

Reactions: MBeaulieu
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Lynn said:
Isn't forced air induction what a supercharger does? I guess I don't see the difference. A supercharger can be driven by belt from the motor or by an electric motor but they do the same thing right? I think a belt driven one is capable of producing more pressure I would assume. Do you have a different definition of supercharger?

I believe that Supercharging generally refers to forced air induction that's powered mechanically from the motor's rotation, usually driven by belt.

Also, I believe that turbos and superchargers generally pressurize directly into the intake manifold, and not pre-manifold (ie airbox).

Your rig seems to be just what the Pioneer needs to bring it's high altitude performance up to par.

I've got a question about filter filtration performance. I purchased a used '08 RZR which had a major intake design flaw... They apparently didn't have enough flow volume going to the stock airbox which caused the filter to allow dirt to pass though due to (presumably) too much Vaccuum created at WOT., which would score and wreck the cyclinders on the intake side. Long story short- the seller lied about having oil consumption, I ended up rebuilding and installing an aftermarket Donaldson filter based intake, which has solved the problem.

I would recommend testing the filter material to make sure filtration still works well with positive pressure on the outside... k&n filters are pretty robust and can probably handle it no problem, but they are designed to work with negative pressure from the intake and it wouldn't be fun to find that dirt is getting into you cyclinders due to some quirkiness. Using the blower only when needed will surely minimize any risk (probably wouldn't be in highly dusty situations) but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your filtration effectiveness...

Keep up the great work and excellent reporting! It's nice to know that if I get a Pioneer down the road there are options if I find that it lacks power. It's good to see ingenuity thriving! :)

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Yea: thanks for the comment's. I've thought about the filter situation and plan to keep an eye on it for sure. I've also thought about using a pre- filter on the air intake. It would be easy to do and easily accessible to clean. Your right though only using the supercharger sparingly it's probably not needed. Just using the K&N filter and opening up the air intake passage has improved performance a lot.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Supercharged Pioneer

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 10.42.03 (1024x768).jpg
    2014-10-13 10.42.03 (1024x768).jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 548
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Supercharged Pioneer with Big Gun Exhaust on.

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 10.42.22 (1024x768).jpg
    2014-10-13 10.42.22 (1024x768).jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 560
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Big Gun Installed

Attachments

• 2014-10-13 10.39.38 (1024x768).jpg
    2014-10-13 10.39.38 (1024x768).jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 516
Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Today with the addition of the Big Gun exhaust, with the vortex insert and spark arrester installed in the muffler, I took a 4hr ride from 3000 ft to 7000 ft and retested the acceleration on the same courses as previous runs. The total increase in acceleration as a percentage with all my modifications is 36.05%. The factory fuel management system compensated for all the modifications and worked flawlessly. No signs of being lean even when pushing it hard up steep climbs. The throttle response is very quick and driving it is very fun and i am completely satisfied with the results. The Big Gun exhaust may be a little louder but not much, it has a deep throaty sound just like a much bigger engine would have. With this much power there was no Ill effects from running 27" tires. I thought maybe the bigger tires would hinder it's acceleration, but I certainly couldn't detect it. I could do a comparison with 25" tires on but I sold them on craigslist. Oh well. I still have want to test the aluminum 3" pipe with mandrel bends on the intake, but I'm certainly not any any hurry to do it. I'm just going to enjoy it and can't wait for the snow , bring it on. Thank you all for looking at this post and I hope it's helpful.

Attachments

• 20141014_125951 (768x1024).jpg
    20141014_125951 (768x1024).jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 478

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!