ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer has proven itself to be a bit more capable that I though, and I took it places I did not think I would try to take it and I came dangerously close to sinking the airbox and breather tubes this weekend in a creek...

That said I would appreciate any pointers for snorkeling a SxS as I've never done it before.
I want to put some intense thought into mine before I just start hacking on PVC and glueing it together and screw something up.

Some questions I have:

Is there a max length for the snorkel?
If its longer do you need larger diameter to give better flow?
Can you plumb the breather tubes into the snorkel or does that cause a vacuum in the respective spaces and cause issues ? i.e.: sucking gas into the intake or pulling diff fluid out of the diff?

Any major DON'Ts and suggested Do's would be appreciated.
OR anything specific you ran into while snorkeling YOUR Pioneer.

Has anyone removed the airbox all together and placed the filter at the very end of the snorkel?
I will maintain my hard roof all year round so keeping it out of the rain will not be an issue.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Here's mine.One thing for sure the suction end gives off quite a bit of noise so keep it as far from your head/ears etc: Also don't put any vent tubes into the Snorkel as it will create a vacuum. If I was to make another one I'd use like a air seeder hose it's pretty flexible and that would eliminate any sharp bends etc; it can be bought in different dia.
pioneer-700-accessories-and-modifications-f48/homemade-snorkel-for-pioneer-t1141.html

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's awesome I was thinking about running in a similar fashion, and up through the fender and mount it to the windshield like a jeep snorkel. Was going to try to use 3-4" and heat form it to fit. In the tight spaces. The hard mid panel and rear doors make it impossible to run up the ROPS.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I think you'll find 2 inch PVC is large enough as long as you keep the elbows down and use long sweep elbows. I would also retain the stock air box its a good water trap for small amounts of water that might get through. The outside of A 2 inch coupler claps nicely to the stock air box inlet.I like the idea of going out front with it it should also quiet it down the stock air intake has all those pockets in it to muffle the intake noise. it would be much quieter with it out front for the passengers. On my first snorkel I used a electrical service cap for the top I can't show you a picture right now halfway across the country.
2 inch electrical conduit is the same size as 2 inch PVC I think you'll find it's a little thinner wall though and the Bends are very wide.
right now I have the filter on top of the snorkel with a bucket over it to cover it from branches rain mod everything I would much rather have the stock air filter box if I did it again I would find a way to keep it there.especially seeing as how snorkels are illegal in Maine we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great advice Spifyd! I'll look at it, know exactly what you mean by a service cap... You can actually get a snorkel scoop for about 30$. I was just going to use that. Also need to see how well the stock box can be sealed... If it's under water I would rather it not be able to force its way in.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
yes in Maine they will write you up for any kind of snorkel or any kind of aftermarket exhaust.
I guess it keeps you out of the swamps and keep you quiet on the brighter side of that they have 6000 miles of trails you couldn't ride them all in a summer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are all of the vent hoses terminated from the factory?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fan is is right there and easy to find.
Overflow is there and easy to find.
Front diff runs up and into the cross frame member by the front brake reservoir,
Rear diff runs up and into the frame
Fuel tank we discussed before. (find link and post)

Not 100%, but I think that is all.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to post a step by step with measurements. After I get it done. So if anyone wants to copy.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
53c043fd92a6aad69456fb1b61695332

So it begins....

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...and so it ends.. with a hard mid panel there is no good way to snorkel the 700 without cutting LARGE holes/slots in the mid panel.

Or if you go forward you end up making 15+ sharp turns which is gonna kill airflow.

I'm going to raise the vents and take the parts back.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I went outside the bed one long sweep 90. then up the side of the bike. it doesn't stick out any more than the front wheel.
I will take some pics when I go out plowing today.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I go through brush... Trees... My roof and ROPS are scuffed... Im sure PVC would not hold up well.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I have hit mine a lot. the air filter is on top just about cut it in half on something . I made a cover for it to protect it . if you mount the pvc strong it wont move or brake. you will have to repaint it once in a wile

Reactions: Becks357
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I left off the part about it not fitting with the soft rear doors.

I extended the vents. I should be ok as long as I'm not sitting in water. Don't plan on that, mud butt is not ideal.

I was going to order some black DVW pipe, so scratches weren't a concern.

B

big31moe

Jul 28, 2014
I put a remote air tube on mine as per one of the posters on this forum. I ran it up in the left fender and to the top of the radiator. then I put a air cleaner on the very end on top on the radiator. . I then tested it and it would run up against the rev limiter on flat ground with no problem.. I used white PVC with 22.5 degree elbows, a 2" coupler fits the airbox inlet perfectly. . it takes the nasty sound away from the riders and puts the air intake as high as you dare without having it stick out thru the body. I am not taking credit for this it was a suggestion and all I did is follow thru.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!