BOX1

Swing Away Tire Carrier

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
When I take the whole family there is no room for a spare tire and other emergency gear so I've been working on a spare tire carrier with a box (40mm Grenade Ammo Can) for jumper cables, tire repair stuff, first aid kit, tools, etc... Thought I would post some build pics while the paint is drying. I'll post some more when the paint is dry and I put it back together. Need to post one with it opened too.

The other reason I did this is for hunting. I can pack all my gear in the bed in plastic totes and just shut the tire carrier and everything is held in place. It is also fully removable if I find a need to take it off.

Finished product before paint.
With the tire and box removed
Box mounting system, can be removed
Tire carrier set up
Latch system
Hinges

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dude, I been pondering this idea for 3 months now. I'm just not skilled enough to figure it out.
Do you think one could make it lower. Say tail gate low. I want to be able to mount tire and hi-lift.
Problem would be extending it from the ROPS back. Was thinking about curving the tubes.
You got me wanting to go out to my shop and get my hand grinder and start making this.

Would you be so kind as to provide sources for the parts.
- weld on clamps! guessing there 1.75". no problem, some rubber fixes that.
- Clamp!
- hinges! Did you buy them or custom made?
- hinge tabs! Did you build or buy?

Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im wanting to build mine here. You have just inspired me. Thanks.

Attachments

• spare.png
    spare.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 738
Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hondasxs said:
Dude, I been pondering this idea for 3 months now. I'm just not skilled enough to figure it out.
Do you think one could make it lower. Say tail gate low. I want to be able to mount tire and hi-lift.
Problem would be extending it from the ROPS back. Was thinking about curving the tubes.
You got me wanting to go out to my shop and get my hand grinder and start making this.

- Clamp!

Thanks.

The 3 weld on clamps were from ebay 1.75" with 1/16th rubber sheet if I remember right. Made my own hinges, just went online and found some thick wall steel tube, don't remember where but they were 5/8" ID and I think 1.25" long, welded the 3/16" steel plate to the clamps to complete the hinge tab, uses a 5/8" bolt (overkill) and I drilled and taped for grease fitting. For the latch side just welded 3/16" steel for a support. Welded a 1/4" square rod to create a little drop in slot and built up the weld to make a nice slope into the slot.

I think to do it the way you are thinking would be a lot more work and figuring, but it would be cool and you would have better visibility out the back. Your bottom hinge would have to be built way out to clear the bed or you would need to bend your tube around the bed which I like better than building out a huge hinge bracket. Im sure it could be done. Another option may be to build a beefy bumper and use a singe spindle hinge right off the bumper like many SUV's have. Then a kit like this would work.
Used1291

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
How does that effect you being able to see backing up

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Realtreegrizzly said:
How does that effect you being able to see backing up

It doesn't make it any easier, but I do the majority of my driving forward. Truthfully I just finished it and have not been in the field with it yet, probably won't till next year as winter riding in Alaska is problematic. I don't think I will mind it at all. When I'm out hunting the bed is filled to the roof anyway. We'll see, it is also fully removable. I can take the whole thing off or put it back on in about ten to fifteen minutes, but I doubt I ever will. Probably not as practical for someone who needs to back up frequently i.e. farm setting.

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hondasxs said:

- Clamp!

Thanks.

Finally found where I got the steel tube to make the hinges.
http://www.ombwarehouse.com/5-8-Bushings/

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!