BOX1

Tailgate doesn't lay flat

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
If the tailgate is not completely flat when open and your hauling a load longer than the bed a lot of the weight will be on the back edge of the tailgate

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep.

Don't know why they did it. After market longer cables will probably be out at some point.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Made mine lay flat just by doing a simple mod. I took a 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar steel ,cut it to 1 3/4" long.I then drilled two 1/4" holes 1" apart and mounted the piece to where the cable mounts onto the tail gate and mounted the cable to the other end.Works good and tail gate lays flat.

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm 100% sure that the cables are just too short. I have called Honda myself and asked about it and they said that they have not had any complaints. That the tail gate is to lay flat. I have posted on here and I have sent a pm for someone to measure their cable that their tail gate lays down flat and no one will do this. So guess I'll do what slowdryrider did.

winnscollision

winnscollision

Aug 24, 2013
Saluda SC
IMG 1984 zps8be656f2
IMG 34691 zpsa5c7b00d
IMG 34701 zpsb618af0f
Puts a weird angle on a cooler when seats are up and tail gate extender is installed. Cant really tell in the pics but the cooler is angled into to seats
and is only touching tailgate. none of the cooler actually touches the bed. 45qt Yeti Full of Silver cans is A LOT of weight on those two little cables!!

N

nagromr1

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2013
Ran across on eBay someone made some cables for it to lay flat.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Google "farmer tech pioneer cables" I have a set and they are really nice!

M

mrmnmikey

Jun 4, 2014
Reeve, Wi
slowdryrider said:
Made mine lay flat just by doing a simple mod. I took a 3/4" x 1/8" flat bar steel ,cut it to 1 3/4" long.I then drilled two 1/4" holes 1" apart and mounted the piece to where the cable mounts onto the tail gate and mounted the cable to the other end.Works good and tail gate lays flat.

might have to try this myself. My gate isnt flat either. Thanks for the idea. :)

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
made some new cables for mine, it now lays flat.
Gate zps16fc9bf2

TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I called Honda and they told me, They have not had any complaints and that the tail gate does lay flat. So everyone needs to be calling Honda and they will have a recall. No calls and nothing will be done. Honda should be taking care of this.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed, it is frustrating. For me <$2 worth of aluminum flat bar and 15 mins accomplishes a lot more than that phone call and faster.

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
Called honda today they are doing research into it and are supposed to call me back. We will see how soon they respond!

Realtreegrizzly

Realtreegrizzly

Jan 20, 2014
Honda rep returned my call today He said they pulled a new unit and found the tailgate NOT to lay flat. He said they ordered a set of new cables and found them to be the same length so there was no difference. He spoke with the engineers and no one could explain other than that was the way they were designed. He put a note in the file to be looked into further so everyone needs to call and complain

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Where do you order the tailgate extender from?

Parkinlot

Parkinlot

Mar 18, 2015
London On
IMG 1984 zps8be656f2
IMG 34691 zpsa5c7b00d
IMG 34701 zpsb618af0f
Puts a weird angle on a cooler when seats are up and tail gate extender is installed. Cant really tell in the pics but the cooler is angled into to seats
and is only touching tailgate. none of the cooler actually touches the bed. 45qt Yeti Full of Silver cans is A LOT of weight on those two little cables!!
How tight is that yeti 45 in there? I'm looking to get a cooler that'll fit just like that with the seats up.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!