BOX1

Throttle and Shifting issues after hitting a stick!

N

NorthernCX

Jul 5, 2014
OK, was out on a ride today and a spear popped up on the trail that we didn't see on the trail going in. Right away, the throttle got pinned and jammed, had to throw it in Neutral and shut it off. Pushed the machine back and found a stick jammed between the lower A-arm and driveshaft on the passenger side going in between the frame and floor. Cut out a small section between the A-arm and back of the wheelwell so the stick would even move, and still had to loop my tree strap on it and it took two men to pull out the remainder- a spruce treetop about 6 feet long.

From that point on, if you start it in Neutral, it races. You can't put it in gear once it's running. If you force the shifter, the display shows it's in that gear but you only get clicking. It drops into gear when you shut it off. So getting going was a process of start in Neutral, shut the switch off, throw it in gear while it spins down, and turn it back on fast enough for the motor to catch. In gear it seems to idle a little high but not as bad.

Part of the way back, I got the little line instead of the gear indicator, and the rev limiter was coming on at about 40kph. After some playing around I got that issue fixed and got all three gears back.

My theory is that something is stuck in there still jamming the throttle, but I can't see anything, and access to it is limited. Any other thoughts? Where should I be looking for those throttle and transmission linkages? Middle of hunting season, can't really afford the time to take it to the nearest shop, two hours away.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Could have done damage to the cable.s internally.You won't see the damage on the outside ,but inside something more then likely has bent and stretched . You do know that you can start the Pioneer in gear.Just put your foot on the brake pedal and it will start in either forward or reverse.

N

NorthernCX

Jul 5, 2014
Didn't know that about starting in gear, thanks!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!