BOX1

Amsoil 10w/30 motorcycle oil

T

tiogajoe

Aug 21, 2013
I changed my oil this past week at just 90 miles shy of the 600 mile change. The honda oil was looking pretty dirty so I drop the oil and filter and put in Amsoil 10w/30. This oil is stated for use in honda atvs and utvs? So far I can tell that the engine seems to be smoother and alittle more quite. The shift points are definitly far smoother. I also changed the front a rear diffs to amsoil severe gear. Still get the chatter out of the rear when coasting.....maybe a heavier grade would settle thing down?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Thank's for the information. I love Amsoil I'm just waiting till my next oil change at 1600 miles. I'm deaf in one ear but here gear noise start at 15 mph in four wheel drive. do others have that noise also?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
tiogajoe said:
I changed my oil this past week at just 90 miles shy of the 600 mile change. The honda oil was looking pretty dirty so I drop the oil and filter and put in Amsoil 10w/30. This oil is stated for use in honda atvs and utvs? So far I can tell that the engine seems to be smoother and alittle more quite. The shift points are definitly far smoother. I also changed the front a rear diffs to amsoil severe gear. Still get the chatter out of the rear when coasting.....maybe a heavier grade would settle thing down?

This might be a stupid question but why would a different brand of engine oil smooth out shifting? Has anyone else experienced this? If so what kind of oil did you use because I want some!

BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
I use AMSOIL in our vehicles, from oil to other fluids. I also use it in our generator, snow thrower, pressure washer, and lawn mower. 3 of the 4 are Honda ' s of course.

BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
Tflynn said:
tiogajoe said:

This might be a stupid question but why would a different brand of engine oil smooth out shifting? Has anyone else experienced this? If so what kind of oil did you use because I want some!

Quality and grade of oil, including additives and such. Not sure but is the Honda oil synthetic? My experience has been very positive with Amsoil products.

Our 2000 CR-V has had Amsoil since it was new. 204,500 miles later no issues with burning or extreme wear as confirmed by Blackstone Lab analysis.
Last time the Timing Belt was changed, the tech was amazed on how good the motor looked on the inside.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Honda makes a synthetic oil. That's what I use. smooths out the shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Elkhunter do you use 10w-30 HP4S honda full synthetic? Are there any downsides to going full synthetic? Everything I read says its great but it makes me wonder if its so great then why don't manufacturers use it? Pioneers are shipped with regular oil and the manual recommends regular oil so what's the deal? I've heard you shouldn't use synthetic in a new motor, is that why? Or is it a cost issue?

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Yep Thats the oil I've been using. when it was time for my first service my wife was going shopping and I told her to stop by the Honda dealer and pick me up some oil. she came back with the synthetic and said that they recommend it. I seems to shift smoother and starts better in the winter. I live in northern mn. and plow snow with it in the winter and I need it to start when it's 0 out. It is more expensive but I run synthetic in every thing I own. I think cost is why they don't come from the factory with it.

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
I am running Amsoil 0W-40 full synthetic in mine. Really shifts much smoother I think.

O

OkieBoy

Jul 19, 2014
ckhenshaw4 said:
I am running Amsoil 0W-40 full synthetic in mine. Really shifts much smoother I think.
X2.....Amsoil has my buggy shifting VERY smooth...I'm really impressed, first time Amsoil user...I'm sold!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just a FYI guys. The OEMs use Dino oil because it's needed for proper break-in. After the first two oil changes I plan on using a synthetic oil like Amsoil or the Honda synthetic. I hope to have the same results as you guys mention. There is a gear whine so I may try 75-140 gear oil, and I hope the Amsoil engine oil at least makes a noticeable difference.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd like to rephrase my last statement. That's not the only reason they use standard oil. The primary reason is cost I'm sure. It just so happens that it's better for break-in.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
I use Lucas 75-140 wt synthetic gear oil in the diffs. It really quieted down the gear chatter in the rear end. I noticed when driving at medium to high speed for a while the rear end pumpkin got very warm to almost hot to the touch with the oem stuff. I went to this for its better heat capability and viscosity and noticed a significant noise reduction.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's great news. Thank you for posting your results. I will do the same soon.

BamaBoundSteve

BamaBoundSteve

Lifetime Member
Mar 13, 2015
S.E. Alabama
FYI for those who may not know. ..

If you go to

http://www.amsoil.com

Look on the left side of the page and you will see a box that says I NEED PRODUCTS FOR, Select vehicle type,and then click on utv and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited:
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am an AMSOil dealer and it's the only thing i use. As far as break in, well it will be argued till the end of time but all of your high end cars are now factory filled with synthetics. I have never experienced a set of properly fitted rings not seating within minutes on the dyno or during cam break in.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!