BOX1

Drive shaft boots

T

Tnfirefighter

Apr 16, 2014
Hey guys. I put my pioneer 2 through hell this past duck season and was extremely impressed with its capabilities considering it was bone stock ( not for long hopefully). While busting up some thick ice on a rice field, I tore 4 of the 8 drive shaft boots. Has anyone had to replace them yet? How was it? Anyone found any videos for this procedure yet?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does sound like u gave it hell.. Lol. Anyways, haven't heard of anyone replacing them on a Pioneer yet.
But it is just like the other Honda Atv CV's. I have done many.
Bad part is. You have to take the inside joint apart to replace the outer boot. And that sucks.

If you never done it. Let me know and I can help guide you through it.
Thanks.

T

Tnfirefighter

Apr 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I have not done it before but I would like to think of myself as somewhat handy so hopefully I can figure it out. I just ordered the service manual for the pioneer so I'm assuming that will help also. I have found several sites that sell the oem boot sets that looks like they have the grease and everything included.
You said that you must remove the inboard joint to get to the outer boot, does that mean you must remove the wheel hub and driveshafts to get to them?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tnfirefighter said:
You said that you must remove the inboard joint to get to the outer boot, does that mean you must remove the wheel hub and driveshafts to get to them?
Yep, At least the bottom knuckle bolt and tie rod end. Remove bottom shock bolt. Then you can push up the a-arm enough to pull it out of the knuckle. At least on a Rubicon and Rincon you can.

Few hints:
The inside joint is the only joint Honda claims will come apart.
When taking the joint apart, pay attention to how the star and cage come off in regards to which is the top. You will get confused if you just lay it to the side without marking it. Use a black marker and color it, marking that the TOP so you know.
Dont drop the ball's. That could cause future problems. If they do not fall out just use a small screw driver and they should pop out with ease.
Dont forget to put the small clamps on the shaft before putting the outer boot on the shaft
Dont forget the large snap ring when putting it back together.
... can you tell my buddies have done that before. lol.

Able3605

Able3605

Nov 10, 2015
South Tx
Ownership

1. 700-4
Question: Anybody replace propeller shaft boot? I just noticed mine was torn. On 2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!