Power Steering is starting to fail

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
As you know I installed power steering in my Pioneer shortly after getting it [ see link below] Anyway it is now starting to fail. I'am very disappointed in that something is going wrong with the unit already. I only had the unit installed in my Ranger for a couple of months before I took it out and put it on the shelf from April untill Nov 2013 when I installed it in the Pioneer. The other day while driving I noticed that is was hard to steer to the right but to the left it was very easy. Last night we took it for a ride and as soon as I turned the key on the steering wheel spun to the left about 1/2 a turn.When I was driving at first it had a slight pull to the left. I took my hand pressure off the steering wheel and it turned to the left instantly.You had to keep your hands firmly on the steering wheel. After 5 minutes it all seemed to be fine,but then after a bit you could feel it intermitantly wanting to pull to the left and then it started to do it to the right as well. Not sure whats going on but I'll check for any loose bolts etc: today and any moisture in the wiring conections. Its worked perfectly up untill now so not sure what has happened. I'am hoping its something simple like moisture in the connections or a loose bolt somewhere. I know that there won't be any warrenty due to the unit being over a year old plus it was bought for a Ranger not a Pioneer. Very disappointed to have spent that amount of $$ and have it fail already.

accessories-and-modifications-f48/installed-electronic-power-steering-honda-pioneer-t632.html

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I took a good look at everything today and there's no loose bolts anywhere,all brackets and mounts are tight. Took the wire plugs apart and put the dielectric grease into each plug etc;. I haven't had time to try it out yet but hopefully will get a chance in the next couple days. Also decided to start putting it back into the shop where its drier ,rather then in the damp shed.Sort of hoping its something to do with all the moisture that we've been having. I'll keep everyone informed as to what I find out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes. Please do. It would suck to find it bad already. Hopefully letting it dry out will fix the issue and adding the dielitic grease will help stop it from happening again.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I've been keeping the Pioneer in the shop now rather then out in one of the shed's [where there's lots of moisture] and since keeping it in the shop the steering has been working fine. Guess that it doesn't like moisture.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Glad to hear you seem to have the steering working better. While reading, the 1st thing that came to my mind was a bad ground. That is usually the 1st place to look when it comes to electrical issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!