P500 2017 info needed

1donjackman

Sep 14, 2016
Dunnigan, ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Need any info on the 2017 from someone who has drove it!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JTW

No one has drove it because they're not at the dealers yet! I'm supposed to get mine next week.. Of course I was supposed to have it two weeks ago!

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My local dealer expects to have '17's in October.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Lots of '17's posted on atv trader. Not sure if those dealers physically have them in stock or just taking deposits on them. I'm sure Southern Honda and a few of the other huge dealers get them first.
I think a lot of it has to do when they order them.. We put it for them thru our dealer months ago.

J

Jshell3

The largest Honda dealer in our area (Brookhaven Honda) said the 2017 P500 would be Oct before he'd have one to sale. Late October, at that. I don't know if that's because the first few are spoken for, or if that's the release dates from Honda.

J

JTW

The largest Honda dealer in our area (Brookhaven Honda) said the 2017 P500 would be Oct before he'd have one to sale. Late October, at that. I don't know if that's because the first few are spoken for, or if that's the release dates from Honda.
I really... Reeeeeally hope that's because the first are spoken for!

J

Jshell3

I really... Reeeeeally hope that's because the first are spoken for!
It's like someone at Honda forgot deer season is a thing!??
Oh well, absence makes the heart grow fonder... am I right @JTW ?!?

J

JTW

I wonder if the delay is because of sharing the engine/trans. with the DCT Rubicon, as they have been a pretty popular seller.
With barely any 16s left that would be stupid for the pioneer market.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wonder if the delay is because of sharing the engine/trans. with the DCT Rubicon, as they have been a pretty popular seller.
Where did you see that the '17 was going to the dct style transmission? It says nothing on Hondas's web page about that.

J

JTW

Where did you see that the '17 was going to the dct style transmission? It says nothing on Hondas's web page about that.
It's been speculated.. I've heard that it's the same tranny with the auto feature.. But I dunno.

Reactions: rocmar
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's been speculated.. I've heard that it's the same tranny with the auto feature.. But I dunno.
My guess is that it will retain the same transmission it had. It pretty much had everything to make it shift automatic before. Now it will recieve a shift program to have the option to do so.

J

JTW

My guess is that it will retain the same transmission it had. It pretty much had everything to make it shift automatic before. Now it will recieve a shift program to have the option to do so.
So was it the same transmission as the Forman?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah.. I don't care. I'm completly over all the PC bullsh*t! I've been to the US Arizona and felt the solidarity as the oil still slicks the surface. Political correctness is killing America! But those Japs make a fine bike!
To the first sentence, oh I know, thought I'd try.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Honda almost always utilizes a current engine/trans. from another product rather than building something new. It really would only make sense, that if it's now an ES Foreman engine/trans., that if they are adding an automatic mode that they would utilize the Rubicon DCT.
If you're theory was correct, why would they not have used the Foreman ES transmission with a "shift program" to make the Rubicon auto. ?

I think you might be right, but I am surprised Honda didn't mention this in the release...seems like a big feature. I will say if they try to add auto to the existing tranny it's gonna be a clanging and banging mother. With fully manual you kind of expect it but an auto should be smooth.

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
The new bikes have a switch so u can run auto or manual. Your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
The new bikes have a switch so u can run auto or manual. Your choice.

1d8098dec406274bdd700662fa56e1b1

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda almost always utilizes a current engine/trans. from another product rather than building something new. It really would only make sense, that if it's now an ES Foreman engine/trans., that if they are adding an automatic mode that they would utilize the Rubicon DCT.
If you're theory was correct, why would they not have used the Foreman ES transmission with a "shift program" to make the Rubicon auto. ?
I don't have an answer to your Rubicon trans. question. According to everyone that has looked at the parts fiche (I haven't looked personally), nothing has changed on the 2017 transmission vs. the 2015-2016. If this is true, it would lead me to believe that they will put a selectable auto program in to shift the transmission. Also, there has been no advirtisment of a DCT transmission. I'm not saying I'm right, but I think my theory could be possible.

Reactions: ehart814
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think you might be right, but I am surprised Honda didn't mention this in the release...seems like a big feature. I will say if they try to add auto to the existing tranny it's gonna be a clanging and banging mother. With fully manual you kind of expect it but an auto should be smooth.
I agree, I think Honda would have made mention of a DCT transmission in the 2017 specs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!