Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So what are everyone's thoughts?

Let me see,
Color options? Don't really care.

Colored shocks? Really don't care, unless those colors spelled Fox, Walker Evans, or Elka haha.

New safety features? Don't like.

Aluminum wheels? Don't care.

Manual transmission? Awesome!

Power steering? Pretty nice.

If they added low range or even just another gear or two to the new paddle shift/auto transmission then I might consider an upgrade but as it is, I'm perfectly happy with my 2014.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Let me see,

Colored shocks? Really don't care, unless those colors spelled Fox, Walker Evans, or Elka haha.

If they added low range or even just another gear or two to the new paddle shift/auto transmission then I might consider an upgrade but as it is, I'm perfectly happy with my 2014.

If this had been available last week, I would have seriously considered it and probably would have at least taken a test drive in it. As of right now, I have never test driven a P700 because I figured it was too much like my Rincon which didn't have very good engine braking which was my biggest beef with it.

If there was a way that I could force it to stay in 1st gear and it could hold back to at least 4 MPH on a downward slope, I think I would definitely have gone with it over the P1000 based on just price alone.

The power steering and manual control on the shifting outweigh the safety features to me as long as the new torso restraints don't stick into your working area as bad as the shoulder bolsters on the Viking/Wolverine. Those I didn't like AT ALL. You had to lean forwards to get out. That was actually one of the deciding factors for myself and my wife to go with the Honda.

I actually think the safety belt thing is a good idea. I really can't think of a reason to be going more than 15MPH without having them on. Having that interlock in there and people bypassing it if they want is better than not having it available in my opinion.

Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
With you tflynn on mostly everything. I don't care about eps, color, crappy shocks are crappy shocks color doesn't change it, hate the safety belts, wheels don't care, paddle shifters kind of cool. I really wished it had turf mode and the fox podiums. Currently waiting for my podiums to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
With you tflynn on mostly everything. I don't care about eps, color, crappy shocks are crappy shocks color doesn't change it, hate the safety belts, wheels don't care, paddle shifters kind of cool. I really wished it had turf mode and the fox podiums. Currently waiting for my podiums to ship.

How long til the shocks arrive? You'll like them! Every time I trail ride I appreciate them more and more.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
Picked them up off eBay so just waiting the seller to ship. I ordered them on Monday. I know my neighbor has them on his 700 and he rubs it in all then time. There is a huge difference between stock and the fox podiums

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Let me see,

Color Options and Aluminum Wheels - Nice
Power Steering and Paddle Shifters - YES
Safety Features - NO
Shocks - You are right. The color ain't the problem with the shocks.

Another gear - I think the perfect balance would have been slightly lower low (be comfortable with 30" tires) and slightly higher high (50-55 MPH top speed) with total of 4 gears.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Let me see,

I loved my 700. Shocks sucked! Another gear would have been nice. Power steering after I ordered it was nice but not a requirement. I guess I'm 100% in agreement with you @Tflynn on everything

Reactions: jawquin and Tflynn
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If this had been available last week, I would have seriously considered it and probably would have at least taken a test drive in it. As of right now, I have never test driven a P700 because I figured it was too much like my Rincon which didn't have very good engine braking which was my biggest beef with it.

If there was a way that I could force it to stay in 1st gear and it could hold back to at least 4 MPH on a downward slope, I think I would definitely have gone with it over the P1000 based on just price alone.

The power steering and manual control on the shifting outweigh the safety features to me as long as the new torso restraints don't stick into your working area as bad as the shoulder bolsters on the Viking/Wolverine. Those I didn't like AT ALL. You had to lean forwards to get out. That was actually one of the deciding factors for myself and my wife to go with the Honda.

I actually think the safety belt thing is a good idea. I really can't think of a reason to be going more than 15MPH without having them on. Having that interlock in there and people bypassing it if they want is better than not having it available in my opinion.

FYI

You actually can hold the P700 in first gear going down hill. When braking going down hill, it will gear down. However, first gear is too high to hold it back. Especially 4 mph.

Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
How long til the shocks arrive? You'll like them! Every time I trail ride I appreciate them more and more.

Called the seller today and they are shipping tonight or tomorrow morning. So they should be here next week.

Reactions: Tflynn
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
FYI

You actually can hold the P700 in first gear going down hill. When braking going down hill, it will gear down. However, first gear is too high to hold it back. Especially 4 mph.

Glad to know that.

I had some regrets that I didn't give the 700 a spin before making the decision to go with the P1000. I had concerns based on my experience with that drivetrain on the Rincon. I liked most everything about it but the lack of compression braking on the hill behind my house, the Rincon could hit 12 MPH in one part of my back yard going downhill.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Glad to know that.

I had some regrets that I didn't give the 700 a spin before making the decision to go with the P1000. I had concerns based on my experience with that drivetrain on the Rincon. I liked most everything about it but the lack of compression braking on the hill behind my house, the Rincon could hit 12 MPH in one part of my back yard going downhill.

That's the same experience I had with the 700. The 2017 P700 will be the same since the gears haven't changed.

Sorry to hear about your tire. Plugs are not a bad thing at all. I carry plugs and compressor and plug tires a lot. However, I haven't punctured one of my 4ply bighorns yet. They stay on my pioneer while at home and usually get a good work out.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I like the manual/auto paddle shift and power steering, and hope the new tranny has a creeper gear. I'd like to get a 700 in the future, but really like having the creeper in the P500.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Info is is limited but I am fairly sure the...
- 700 still has same 3 speed, just adds paddle shifters.
- 500 has the same 5 speed, just adds automatic shifting program.

I do agree a DCT upgrade for both would be nice.

Full public announcement is expected 2nd week of August.

G

GMacdonald

Jan 23, 2016
Bothell, Wa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi everyone. So if the tranny is unchanged from previous years, wouldn't that mean we could add the paddle shifters to the older models?
BTW. Long time reader, first time poster.
2014 Pioneer 700-4
No mods
and only 101 miles....need to ride more

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi everyone. So if the tranny is unchanged from previous years, wouldn't that mean we could add the paddle shifters to the older models?
BTW. Long time reader, first time poster.
2014 Pioneer 700-4
No mods
and only 101 miles....need to ride more

Welcome to HondaSXS.

I guess the question is can it be easily done. It may require a new ecu and other expensive parts.

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
Info is is limited but I am fairly sure the...
- 700 still has same 3 speed, just adds paddle shifters.
- 500 has the same 5 speed, just adds automatic shifting program.

I do agree a DCT upgrade for both would be nice.

Full public announcement is expected 2nd week of August.

First gear on the 500 is a different ratio on the 17'

S

Snowman

Jul 24, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any news on when the 2017 will be released? Currently in market, and thinking waiting is a good idea.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any news on when the 2017 will be released? Currently in market, and thinking waiting is a good idea.

Welcome Snowman,

I think the 2017's have been announced. Depending on your needs/wants there seem to be some nice upgrades. Personally, I think I opting for the new model will be worth it.

Option 2 would be to pick up a slightly used 2015-2016 unit with very low miles.

We will be watching your "Do not currently own" status with anticipation.

S

Snowman

Jul 24, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome Snowman,

I think the 2017's have been announced. Depending on your needs/wants there seem to be some nice upgrades. Personally, I think I opting for the new model will be worth it.

Option 2 would be to pick up a slightly used 2015-2016 unit with very low miles.

We will be watching your "Do not currently own" status with anticipation.

Slightly worried about the "Do not currently own" status myself. My wife is non to pleased with the seats. She likes everything else though. We looked at a few more models over the last few days, including Yamaha Wolverine, and the Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. She likes the Honda for reliability and 4-seat awesomeness, but does not like how the current front seats feel. She likes the size of the Wolverine and its super amazing suspension. She likes the Arctic Cats seats the most and feels she can live with it being a sport model. However, she admits test rides are greatly needed because she is worried about over all ride comfort.

Wish Honda offered a more contoured seat as an option. If there is a direct bolt on replacement that does not require any modification then the 700-4 is still an option.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!