P700 2017 P700 Deluxe

P

pigtrail

Dec 6, 2016
central USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
New to this forum. I have been looking at the P700,I drove a 2014 P700 a few weeks back and seemed it may fit my trail riding needs.I don't need or want high speeds for trails .And the suspension seemed to be enough for me.The one thing I did not care for was going down hill and standing on the brakes.Im used to manual shift Honda four wheeler's, The P700 I drove was auto shift.I am wondering if the 2017 P700 well be any better with the paddle shift ? I I have been hearing things about " engine breaking " what is this ? I am really wanting to purchase the P700-2 Deluxe , but if nothing has changed from the 2014 I drove I will stay with four wheelers.I understand the paddle shift will be usefull climbing or low speed crawling but will it be usefull when downhill runs need more than just brakes ?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to this forum. I have been looking at the P700,I drove a 2014 P700 a few weeks back and seemed it may fit my trail riding needs.I don't need or want high speeds for trails .And the suspension seemed to be enough for me.The one thing I did not care for was going down hill and standing on the brakes.Im used to manual shift Honda four wheeler's, The P700 I drove was auto shift.I am wondering if the 2017 P700 well be any better with the paddle shift ? I I have been hearing things about " engine breaking " what is this ? I am really wanting to purchase the P700-2 Deluxe , but if nothing has changed from the 2014 I drove I will stay with four wheelers.I understand the paddle shift will be usefull climbing or low speed crawling but will it be usefull when downhill runs need more than just brakes ?
Yea it will be helpful . you can keep it in 1st gear just like the 4 wheeler .

Reactions: QuadMan747
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

It will be the same on the 2017.

The P700 is basically a Honda Rincon with a UTV body and a locking front diff. (Maybe some lower gearing?)

The manual shift control won't keep it from going fast down hill. That is because the first gear is relatively high.

Engine braking is using the drag of the engine to slow the vehicle down via the transmission. Just like if you were in your car/truck and you shift into a lower gear like is recommended when going down steep mountain roads.

Engine braking - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking
However, the total amount of slowing is more directly related to the the first gear ratio. If it is relatively high, like the P700 and the Honda Rincon, you won't notice anything until the speed has gotten relatively fast. Like 11-13 MPH, at that point the drag of the engine will be noticeable. If you need to keep your downhill speed at less than that without brakes, you will need to look at a different machine.

That is one of the advantages of the P500 (Like Honda Foreman)and the P1000. Both have low enough 1st gears that you can creep down very steep hills without needed to use the brakes.

That was one of the prime drivers for my getting the P1000 over the P700. I had a Rincon and I live on a steep hill and I wanted more effective engine braking. :)

TLDR:

If you want to go downhill without using brakes, the P700 is not the ride to be looking at. ;)

Reactions: rmk700 and AKRider
P

pigtrail

Dec 6, 2016
central USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yea it will be helpful . you can keep it in 1st gear just like the 4 wheeler .

The P700 is basically a Honda Rincon with a UTV body and a locking front diff. (Maybe some lower gearing?)

The manual shift control won't keep it from going fast down hill. That is because the first gear is relatively high.

Engine braking is using the drag of the engine to slow the vehicle down via the transmission. Just like if you were in your car/truck and you shift into a lower gear like is recommended when going down steep mountain roads.

However, the total amount of slowing is more directly related to the the first gear ratio. If it is relatively high, like the P700 and the Honda Rincon, you won't notice anything until the speed has gotten relatively fast. Like 11-13 MPH, at that point the drag of the engine will be noticeable. If you need to keep your downhill speed at less than that without brakes, you will need to look at a different machine.

That is one of the advantages of the P500 (Like Honda Foreman)and the P1000. Both have low enough 1st gears that you can creep down very steep hills without needed to use the brakes.

That was one of the prime drivers for my getting the P1000 over the P700. I had a Rincon and I live on a steep hill and I wanted more effective engine braking. :)

TLDR:

If you want to go downhill without using brakes, the P700 is not the ride to be looking a

TLDR:

If you want to go downhill without using brakes, the P700 is not the ride to be looking at. ;)
I was hoping for a change. Really like Honda ,quality machines. but I'm old school and like a set of gears when needed.I have looked at the Yamaha Wolverene but really hate to switch to CVT after years of Honda.I thinlk Ill keep the four wheeler and see what Honda comes out with 2018.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The P700 only needs a low range sub transmission and a turf mode/unlockable rear diff to be one of the most awesome machine out there.

Heck, just the low range would probably have been enough to convince me to get one instead of the P1000. I thought about it really, really hard but that high first gear was one of the few things I didn't like about my Rincon. Actually the only thing I didn't like about it honestly. Although I always wanted a locking front diff which the P700 had.

I originally was dead set on getting the Wolverine as well. I am glad I didn't though. I never realized how incredibly useful a dumping bed was until I had one.

I also really wasn't a big fan of the shoulder bolsters and the doors of the Wolverine either. Sounds petty but after recent problems I have had, not having something rubbing on my shoulder and the ability to open the doors and keep them open are nice.

Plus the doors on the Pioneer are quite a bit taller than the Wolverine/Viking which come in real handy driving through briar infested trails.

If you are primarily focused on trail riding, I would definitely wait as 2018 might be when they release the long awaited and anticipated Honda sport machine. Which I am hoping will be all the best features of the Yamaha YXZ and the Pioneer 1000 along with some things no one has even thought of.

Reactions: pigtrail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!