P700 700-4 Overheating under power

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Ran with three other 700s this week at Windrock. When I climbed a hill under power my temps went from 2 bars to 4 and if long enough Red temp light came on.

Coolant and oil levels good, I washed radiator with a hose, no power washer. Ran the next day and one other 700 and I ran hot with only me in the red. The two other 700s ran fine 2 bars all day long.

We were just trail riding with normal uphill climbing no stunts, occasional mud holes, nothing that would clog the radiator. Each time I hit 4 or red lite, I pulled over, shut it off, and key on to keep the fan running. Start up again after ~5 min and temp again at 2 bars.

Running level or down hill 2 bars all day. Just pulling power to climb does it.

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does it boil over or seem like it's hotter than the others? Might use a temp gun to compare if they measure the same might b faulty temp sensor. I'm new to the pioneer thing but I've worked on vehicles my whole life just where I'd start if it was mine. After that I'd investigate the thermostat or if it's got one. I'm sure one of these guys on here would know for sure.

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Does it boil over or seem like it's hotter than the others? Might use a temp gun to compare if they measure the same might b faulty temp sensor. I'm new to the pioneer thing but I've worked on vehicles my whole life just where I'd start if it was mine. After that I'd investigate the thermostat or if it's got one. I'm sure one of these guys on here would know for sure.

It is hotter than the other two, one other hits 4 bars when pulling power never turned on the red lite. Mine was boiling at one point, one could hear it bubbling. I have a info red temp gun an thought the same as you. Have no idea of there is a thermostat or where it is. Looked on the IPB and did not see one. Also have no idea what the bars represent in degrees. Gun was home, so I could not compare to another 700.

Read a thread were there seems to be a problem with air in the coolant system, but the symptoms were a little different than mine. I'm going to follow their fix just in case. Raise nose, Take off rad cap and run to allow trapped air to escape. If it burps I've done good.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Air in the system would cause it to heat that's for sure. I know to an engine will heat under a load if the timing is to far advanced on these I would imagine the computer controls the timing.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ran with three other 700s this week at Windrock. When I climbed a hill under power my temps went from 2 bars to 4 and if long enough Red temp light came on.

Coolant and oil levels good, I washed radiator with a hose, no power washer. Ran the next day and one other 700 and I ran hot with only me in the red. The two other 700s ran fine 2 bars all day long.

We were just trail riding with normal uphill climbing no stunts, occasional mud holes, nothing that would clog the radiator. Each time I hit 4 or red lite, I pulled over, shut it off, and key on to keep the fan running. Start up again after ~5 min and temp again at 2 bars.

Running level or down hill 2 bars all day. Just pulling power to climb does it.

Maybe this?

P700m2 - Brand New Overheating.

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like that's probably it... All the stuff I said was more serious problems but nothing I've ever dealt with is ever that simple.

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Sounds like that's probably it... All the stuff I said was more serious problems but nothing I've ever dealt with is ever that simple.
That's the thread I referred to. Problem is he has a different symptom than I do. His did it at idle or when he slowed to a stop. Mine is getting hot under power.

I'll give it a try, but its a long shot.

Harman24630

Harman24630

Mar 24, 2016
Tazewell Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's the thread I referred to. Problem is he has a different symptom than I do. His did it at idle or when he slowed to a stop. Mine is getting hot under power.

I'll give it a try, but its a long shot.
As far as long shots and simple fixes I'd check the spark arestor and see how clean it was just a recent thought.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Low on coolant and or air lock in system. Fill coolant overflow tank after running hot and let it cool down like overnight and it should draw the coolant out of overflow tank into the system. You may have to do this several times. This has happened to me several times after the dealer rerouted the heater hoses on an upgrade for lack of heat from the heater. It doesn't take much loss of coolant to make it overheat.

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Low on coolant and or air lock in system. Fill coolant overflow tank after running hot and let it cool down like overnight and it should draw the coolant out of overflow tank into the system. You may have to do this several times. This has happened to me several times after the dealer rerouted the heater hoses on an upgrade for lack of heat from the heater. It doesn't take much loss of coolant to make it overheat.
Thanks form the advice, the overflow reservoir looks full now, and the coolant is at the top of the radiator. So one would not think it was not low on coolant, but I plan tomorrow to raise the front, I'll drive the front wheels on the trailer and run it with cap off to see if it will burp. Burp or not I'll do as you suggest and put this to rest until the next trip.

Thanks to all for the suggestions., Mike

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks form the advice, the overflow reservoir looks full now, and the coolant is at the top of the radiator. So one would not think it was not low on coolant, but I plan tomorrow to raise the front, I'll drive the front wheels on the trailer and run it with cap off to see if it will burp. Burp or not I'll do as you suggest and put this to rest until the next trip.

Thanks to all for the suggestions., Mike
I raised the front, removed the radiator cap and ran until it was hot and water was flowing freely thru the radiator. Topped it of and let it cool over night. Ran weeks later and temp got to 4 bars on a hot day. Called the dealer and took it to them. They inspected and found nothing wrong. Go quote the service manager, the Honda service rep blew it off.

Called the national call desk to escalate. There is a problem, blowing me off is not an option I'll accept.

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
that really sucks man I'm sorry to hear it. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with an answer here! I wonder if your water pump is ok?

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
that really sucks man I'm sorry to hear it. I'm racking my brain trying to come up with an answer here! I wonder if your water pump is ok?
We drove at Windsock early April, all May and most of June it was fine. I guess I have to go back to TN and drive in the mountains to make it fail, and take it to a dealer in TN to see if they can find the problem. I'm thinking a water passage is partially blocked, and only indicates a problem when power is really required, heating the water beyond what is normal???

Mike

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious if they checked the spark arestor as stated above. I haven't heard of it lately, but I do believe some of the early ones had a problem with this. This is something I haven't done, but we are headed for a long weekend trip, so I plan on doing it tonight. Let us know the results.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
We drove at Windsock early April, all May and most of June it was fine. I guess I have to go back to TN and drive in the mountains to make it fail, and take it to a dealer in TN to see if they can find the problem. I'm thinking a water passage is partially blocked, and only indicates a problem when power is really required, heating the water beyond what is normal???

Mike
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe a piece broke off the impeller or something (partially blocking a passage) and the pump can't flow enough to meet the cooling needs under harsh conditions? I don't know just a thought.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@tjoreo are you thinking of when the baffles were breaking off in the 2014 mufflers?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@tjoreo are you thinking of when the baffles were breaking off in the 2014 mufflers?
I don't really recall, but I just remember some having trouble. Just a thought and might be worth pulling the 3 screws out and checking. I know my brother had a dodge v10 that had a plugged off cat. It was fine at normal everyday use, but when you worked it hard, it developed ALOT of heat. One other thing I just thought of is, to make sure the fan is working properly. I think some of the 1000 came from the factory with loose connections and items not working. Maybe Bobby Sue was having a bad day and forgot to plug in the fan connector. Who knows now a days.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't really recall, but I just remember some having trouble. Just a thought and might be worth pulling the 3 screws out and checking. I know my brother had a dodge v10 that had a plugged off cat. It was fine at normal everyday use, but when you worked it hard, it developed ALOT of heat. One other thing I just thought of is, to make sure the fan is working properly. I think some of the 1000 came from the factory with loose connections and items not working. Maybe Bobby Sue was having a bad day and forgot to plug in the fan connector. Who knows now a days.
Hmmmm good point, does the fan come on @mike2016700-4 ?

mike2016700-4

mike2016700-4

Jan 9, 2016
Louisiana
Hmmmm good point, does the fan come on @mike2016700-4 ?
Fan cycles on and off as I would imagine it should. Dealer told me they checked the fan operation and it was fine. So if there is a problem with the spark arestor it restricts exhaust and could cause engine overheat? Not allowing exhaust gas to leave the engine would b a problem. This is a screen in the muffler? Removing the stubby tail pipe should remove the screen?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fan cycles on and off as I would imagine it should. Dealer told me they checked the fan operation and it was fine. So if there is a problem with the spark arestor it restricts exhaust and could cause engine overheat? Not allowing exhaust gas to leave the engine would b a problem. This is a screen in the muffler? Removing the stubby tail pipe should remove the screen?
If it was the muffler issue you would have a noticeable loss of power under load or at high speed. Is that something you've noticed?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!