Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, So im planning to add a Blue Sea fuse block for my accessories. Right now my winch is all I have installed but Im gonna do a radio, led bar and led back up lights.

My thoughts were to use the cables that currently go from the battery to the winch solenoid as my power for the fuse block, then run winch from fuse block as well as the light bar, reverse lights, and radio. Anyone see a problem with that?

My next question is about my winch. Installed a Superwinch Terra 45 upside down with a KFI plate.

Does it matter which side the cables are on? Currently I have the freespool knob on the drivers side and the wires on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok, So im planning to add a Blue Sea fuse block for my accessories. Right now my winch is all I have installed but Im gonna do a radio, led bar and led back up lights.

My thoughts were to use the cables that currently go from the battery to the winch solenoid as my power for the fuse block, then run winch from fuse block as well as the light bar, reverse lights, and radio. Anyone see a problem with that?

My next question is about my winch. Installed a Superwinch Terra 45 upside down with a KFI plate.

Does it matter which side the cables are on? Currently I have the freespool knob on the drivers side and the wires on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance
I would put a circuit breaker between the fuse block and the battery. What i did was attach the power to the winch to the circuit breaker but not the fuse block. The winch already has a fuse so there is really no need.
I installed the same winch setup and my knob is on the passenger side and wires on the driver side.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would put a circuit breaker between the fuse block and the battery. What i did was attach the power to the winch to the circuit breaker but not the fuse block. The winch already has a fuse so there is really no need.
I installed the same winch setup and my knob is on the passenger side and wires on the driver side.

Thats a good idea, so you just ran one set of wires from the breaker to the winch and one set from breaker to fuse block? what size breaker did you use?

As far at the winch install, the black and red cables were long enough to go from your contactor to the winch with terminals on the driver side? I mounted my contactor near the factory fuse box.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thats a good idea, so you just ran one set of wires from the breaker to the winch and one set from breaker to fuse block? what size breaker did you use?

As far at the winch install, the black and red cables were long enough to go from your contactor to the winch with terminals on the driver side? I mounted my contactor near the factory fuse box.
Yes that is correct. I used a 100 amp water proof breaker on mine. I love it because when the machine is sitting for more than a couple of days I throw the breaker. Then I don't have to worry about my battery being drained.
I mounted the power wire to the circuit breaker so it didn't need to be long. With the ground I just put it on the fuse block with the negative that runs to the battery.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
E163af4c774cf7ab226fb4a1e050b37f
Here's a bad pic I took when it was dirty Lol. It is much cleaner now I promise! It should give you an idea though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
View attachment 27816
Here's a bad pic I took when it was dirty Lol. It is much cleaner now I promise! It should give you an idea though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whats in the top left of your pictures, behind the factory fuse block. Where your disconnect power is coming from?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
whats in the top left of your pictures, behind the factory fuse block. Where your disconnect power is coming from?
That is the relay from the Winch. It is just looping around and coming in the front side of the solenoid.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance
Hey Dragon, the wire size you run dictates the circuit size. Be sure to have the circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible, I installed mine inside the OEM battery box. Use split loam protector on everything and shrink wrap all connections.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey Dragon, the wire size you run dictates the circuit size. Be sure to have the circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible, I installed mine inside the OEM battery box. Use split loam protector on everything and shrink wrap all connections.

So you have 2 power wires coming from the breaker under the seat to under the hood? One for fuse box and one for solenoid?

Is there a need to still use the Superwinch supplied fuse or will the breaker be an acceptable alternative?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
So you have 2 power wires coming from the breaker under the seat to under the hood? One for fuse box and one for solenoid?

Is there a need to still use the Superwinch supplied fuse or will the breaker be an acceptable alternative?
Actually I have three because of dual battery set up. And yes I included the fuse protection supplied with the winch as well.

Reactions: LandPioneer
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Actually I have three because of dual battery set up. And yes I included the fuse protection supplied with the winch as well.
Thanks.

What size breaker did you use? At 4500lbs the winch is rated at 178amps.

Is there a good place to get the wiring?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4

I only ran one power wire to the battery from the circuit breaker. I put my Circuit Breaker under the hood because I knew I would access it often. I hate pulling the seat up because I put in harnesses. They make it a pain to take the seat in and out. I then ran a power wire from the Fuse Block and Solenoid to the Circuit Breaker.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks.

Here is the guy I ordered my wiring from. I did marine grade... gregsmarine on eBay
I wasn't going to run the winch through the circuit breaker but I tried it to see if it would work ok. Mainly because the wires were to short to get to the battery. Everything worked perfect so I decided to go with it at least until a do a dual battery setup.

Reactions: Dragon21
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I only ran one power wire to the battery from the circuit breaker. I put my Circuit Breaker under the hood because I knew I would access it often. I hate pulling the seat up because I put in harnesses. They make it a pain to take the seat in and out. I then ran a power wire from the Fuse Block and Solenoid to the Circuit Breaker.
If everything is functioning properly, you shouldn't have to access your circuit breaker often. The purpose of it being in the battery box, is protection the entire length of the circuit.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Thanks.

100 amp on 6 gauge. This is on my P5 and it's a 3,000 lbs winch.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
If everything is functioning properly, you shouldn't have to access your circuit breaker often. The purpose of it being in the battery box, is protection the entire length of the circuit.
My radio was draining my battery if I left it for prolonged periods. I like being able to disconnect everything when it is not in use. Since I put in the breaker I've had zero issues. I thought about a relay but I like the peace of mind the circuit breaker provides.
@Montecresto You are just protecting a shorter wire vs. longer wire with it being closer to the battery correct? I really did thing about putting mine in the battery box but there is no room in the 700! Lol

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My radio was draining my battery if I left it for prolonged periods. I like being able to disconnect everything when it is not in use. Since I put in the breaker I've had zero issues. I thought about a relay but I like the peace of mind the circuit breaker provides.
@Montecresto You are just protecting a shorter wire vs. longer wire with it being closer to the battery correct? I really did thing about putting mine in the battery box but there is no room in the 700! Lol
The only place i could see is mounting it is to the tool pouch holder under the passenger seat. but I do like the idea of it being under the hood.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
The only place i could see is mounting it is to the tool pouch holder under the passenger seat. but I do like the idea of it being under the hood.
Yep that was exactly my thoughts. I've had mine in for a few weeks now and have yet to have a problem. Here's what I have wired in mine:
1) Super winch Terra 4500
2) MTX MUDSYS41 Overhead Audio System
3) 40 inch Light Bar
4) Infinite Offroad Shadow Reaper Rock Lights

I plan on adding a rear light soon but haven't yet.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just ordered my switch plate from the member on here. Gonna have my Terra 45, Light Bar, Rear lights, and pro armour sound bar switches on there

Reactions: LandPioneer
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Reactions: bigbruse
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!