P1000 Africa Twin Engine

D

Dasmoeturhead

As a mechanic my whole life, I'm always curious, and want to know all I can about the machines I own. I've been impressed with the P1K's engine, so that lead me to www.africatwinforum.com. I figured those guys riding those adventure touring bikes have put this engine to the test. Granted their engine isn't pushing around 1649 lbs, but they have probably found a lot about those engines, due to just the amount of miles they put on them. Check it out. There polls show they like the DCT, better than the manual. If your interested, give it a look.

S

Suz450cb

Apr 11, 2016
Marshall
As a mechanic my whole life, I'm always curious, and want to know all I can about the machines I own. I've been impressed with the P1K's engine, so that lead me to www.africatwinforum.com. I figured those guys riding those adventure touring bikes have put this engine to the test. Granted their engine isn't pushing around 1649 lbs, but they have probably found a lot about those engines, due to just the amount of miles they put on them. Check it out. There polls show they like the DCT, better than the manual. If your interested, give it a look.
I've been wondering why the motorcycle has 93 hp and the pioneer only has 72 do you have any idea what the difference is in the motors to make that big of hp difference

D

Dasmoeturhead

I've been wondering why the motorcycle has 93 hp and the pioneer only has 72 do you have any idea what the difference is in the motors to make that big of hp difference
Probably fuel and timing , but not sure. They also have a less restrictive exhaust.
This is why I'm interested . 93 hp would make the P1K a super UTV. Can you imagine?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
93 HP sounds nice buts that half the story, how much torque in the AT? And what does the torque curve look like? We need torque in this 2000lb machine.

An example of how much torque matters....
Me and my father both have identical trucks. They are both 2014, 4x4, crew cabs. The difference in HP is only 5 and the difference in torque at 2000 rpms is like 200 ft/lbs!!! When driving it, it is amazing how different it feels.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
93 HP sounds nice buts that half the story, how much torque in the AT? And what does the torque curve look like? We need torque in this 2000lb machine.

An example of how much torque matters....
Me and my father both have identical trucks. They are both 2014, 4x4, crew cabs. The difference in HP is only 5 and the difference in torque at 2000 rpms is like 200 ft/lbs!!! When driving it, it is amazing how different it feels.

Sent from my iPhone 10s
Its having issues with the clutches with 72 hp what would 95 do to it.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Not sure about that. I plowed snow on my road all winter, and now I grade rock and gravel on that same road, and my clutches are fine. I use low range, and 4wd. Oil was nice and clean when I changed it. Not experiencing any Trans or clutch issues. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood). I'd like to see 95hp, that be a real kick. I drive like an old man anyway , so it would probably be a waste of hp. :-(

Reactions: CumminsPusher
N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Not sure about that. I plowed snow on my road all winter, and now I grade rock and gravel on that same road, and my clutches are fine. I use low range, and 4wd. Oil was nice and clean when I changed it. Not experiencing any Trans or clutch issues. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood). I'd like to see 95hp, that be a real kick. I drive like an old man anyway , so it would probably be a waste of hp. :-(
I agree with you on the waste of hp, I drove mine like driving miss daisy. Probably would be fine with a 700 lol, hope you continue the good luck with your clutch. I am sure they are going to be just fine. Don't plow much in East Texas hahaha

D

Dasmoeturhead

I agree with you on the waste of hp, I drove mine like driving miss daisy. Probably would be fine with a 700 lol, hope you continue the good luck with your clutch. I am sure they are going to be just fine. Don't plow much in East Texas hahaha
Your lucky you don't have to plow, believe me. It's not really that bad here. It's not like we get snow like the Real snow country, but we can get a foot at times, and my driveway is very steep. I need 4wd in my truck toake it up here even when it's not covered in snow. Count your blessings Bro!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I don't think that is an accurate statement. I'm willing to bet this transmission can handle more power, probably 50 more HP or so.

I think the transmission had issues with assembly or inferior parts. Honda would not build/design a transmission that was borderline on taking the power.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@joeymt33 is right we don't need hp in this we need torque. Hp is a generated number based off of multiple things and means squat. My truck is only 280hp and that would be a slug however at nearly 750 tq not so much. This is a heavy beast of a rig that tugs and pushes anything not a 1200pnd rzr made for dunes and open roads. I think they will open her up down the road as needed for model year and fully expect the motor to be capable of more as I'm sure to see in the "sport" version. I'm at a grand for miles and no problems with tranny and I'm fully comfortable now with it (maybe we got a Wednesday build with a sober Japanese fellow who prides himself with the correct tools set to the right specs....) and I'm sure honda will correct this but I fully expect it to hold up to a bit more power (Honda understands DCT!!) in our rigs and lots more in the sport. But they WILL be different torque curves.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
the horsepower is probably gained via a different cam profile. but most of the responses on here are correct that torque is what gets things moving. this is a rather short stroke engine, great for revving up and racing on a sportbike but not a utility machine. so for a 1000cc machine it does well but falls short on torque. soon as i can get some sort of performance high flow exhaust on mine, i'll re-tune and see what i can get out of it. my buddy has a ranger 900 with the same tires as me so we can line them up and see how much i've gained.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!