P700 Badlands Winch

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK so I've been offline for a while and in the process of researching winches. Haven't need one since I purchased my 700-2 in 10/13 and finally got it buried at my hunting camp in a blizzard. Unfortunately my buddy pulled me out in his Ranger Crew and I haven't heard the end of it!! LoL

So I recently narrowed my research down to a Superwinch Terra 45 w/ syn and the Viper Max 4500 w/syn but recently was in Harbor Freight and saw a Badlands 3500 for $129 plus an additional 20% off. Am I crazy to even consider the Badlands as an option, the research I've done has found the Badlands winches are pretty reputable. I know there's gonna be lovers of each and for another couple hundred $$ I could put a Warn on it but I'm on a Father's budget around the Holidays.

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
3500lb is almost not enough for these heavy machines. But if you are not into the big mud and only the occasional stuck on the trail then the 3500 should do. Any winch really, you should think about adding an extra rope and snatch block.
Didn't see a 4500 badlands. only a 5000. I would consider that one.
Harbor freight has a great warranty you can buy. For any reason bring it back they will give you another. BUT... that won't help you on the trail through. lol.

You just missed a sale on the Terra last week.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
3500lb is almost not enough for these heavy machines. But if you are not into the big mud and only the occasional stuck on the trail then the 3500 should do. Any winch really, you should think about adding an extra rope and snatch block.
Didn't see a 4500 badlands. only a 5000. I would consider that one.
Harbor freight has a great warranty you can buy. For any reason bring it back they will give you another. BUT... that won't help you on the trail through. lol.

You just missed a sale on the Terra last week.

I know, Amazon had a wicked deal and I missed it. Had it in my cart but scared to pull the trigger with the Holidays coming. I can sneak in a light bar or HID's with the wife's Christmas order but a winch is skating on thin ice!! LoL

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see cabelas has the Superwinch 45 with steel cable for $209. If I would have seen this when I put mine one I probably would have went this route. I actual have a Champion 4000 on my 700 that I picked up from Costco for about $130 a couple of years ago. It works great for my plow and thankfully enough I haven't been stuck yet that I needed it.

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's the thing, I'm not gonna be in any river bottoms or rock climbing. Like I said, I recently got it stuck for the first time in deep snow and it was early so there wasn't any frost and I sunk. I'll occasionally be pulling a log out of the trail or other minor pulls. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes "fairly" cheap is the way to go.

JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
I put a harbor freight winch in the bed of my truck to help with firewood and stuff it worked go but its really load I out a smittybuilt winch on my 700-4 I its a 3500 I got it from their website for $100 with everything , but remember you'll also need a winch mounting bracket for the pioneer unless you build one like u did they run around $80

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

That's the thing, I'm not gonna be in any river bottoms or rock climbing. Like I said, I recently got it stuck for the first time in deep snow and it was early so there wasn't any frost and I sunk. I'll occasionally be pulling a log out of the trail or other minor pulls. I know you get what you pay for but sometimes "fairly" cheap is the way to go.
Do a Terra 35 with steel cable and buy the synthetic rope and aluminum hawse later.. they'll run you about $60. That's what I did as I didn't want a blue hawse and yellow rope.

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
So Amazon has the Superwinch Terra 45 with steel for $223 shipped. Additionally I'd need to buy the mount for my 700, Syn rope, and hawse fairlead... On the other hand Amazon has the Viper Max 4500 with syn AND the 700 mount for $309 shipped.

Are they "apple to apple" winches?? If so it appears the Viper is the way to go. Not sure of the warranty for either...

J

JTW

I don't know about the viper.. at that price it may be the equivalent of the lt model of superwinch which is not the Terra.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't heard alot about them lately, but when the 700 was very popular, alot of guys said they were very pleased with them. I think anymore most everyone is going with the superwinch when it is on sale and because it is a pretty good deal. You might do alittle looking at the older 700 forums and see if you can find any better info on the viper.

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
And just noticed Tractor Supply has a Traveller 4500# winch for $127... Seems there's "nay" sayers for all brands... I don't know WTF to do??? LoL

J

JTW

And just noticed Tractor Supply has a Traveller 4500# winch for $127... Seems there's "nay" sayers for all brands... I don't know WTF to do??? LoL
Buy whatever you can easiest return! Or the superwinch Terra series!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Minimum 4000 lbs for the 700. As far as which one... I say go for quality

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A winch is like insurance, you hate paying for it but when you need it, it's got to come thru for you. If it doesn't, that's money wasted and time lost. It costs a little more but I like Warn & super winch and I believe in a reputable insurance company with a local agent.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Reactions: Tflynn and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!