BOX1

P500 center of gravity?

S

shep

Dec 17, 2015
I have a 2013 Foreman and love it. I prospect in NV and AZ. Feels to me sometimes, I'm sitting too high going up hills sometimes and usually will try to find another way. A friend took me to a spot with his Polaris side x side last year, there was no way I would attempt with my Foreman (66 and don't bounce well). Want to get a dog to travel with me, so want to get a side x side. I do not do riding side hills. Up and down or on trails. Looking at the Pioneer 500. Looking for workhorse not speed. Thoughts?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Compact, simple in maintance, budget friendly. Reduce pressure to 7 psi on tires , get 26". Hopefully someone will make good suspension and full cab kit ( for my climate). I'm happy so far. Wait for 2017 with auto shift. Or get better price on 2015-16.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I have a 2013 Foreman and love it. I prospect in NV and AZ. Feels to me sometimes, I'm sitting too high going up hills sometimes and usually will try to find another way. A friend took me to a spot with his Polaris side x side last year, there was no way I would attempt with my Foreman (66 and don't bounce well). Want to get a dog to travel with me, so want to get a side x side. I do not do riding side hills. Up and down or on trails. Looking at the Pioneer 500. Looking for workhorse not speed. Thoughts?
Get the 700. The P5 is a very tippy machine. From what you describe, you may not be happy with it.

S

shep

Dec 17, 2015
I've looked into the 700's and even 1000's. Have small TH'r. 500 at this time looks best for me, but Thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I've looked into the 700's and even 1000's. Have small TH'r. 500 at this time looks best for me, but Thanks
You bet. Just didn't want you to be disappointed. The Polaris is very stable, you still may not follow him in a P5. There are mods however that you can do to improve the P5's stability some.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

After market wheels with 5+2 offset and 9" front and 11" 26" tires cures stability problem for me. now 53" wide

Reactions: snide686 and SBuckJ
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Get the 700. The P5 is a very tippy machine. From what you describe, you may not be happy with it.

Respectfully Monte I have to disagree with your assertion that the P5 is tippy, (compared to what)? Now that I've driven mine 3200 Kms in a variety of terrain from desert to swamp and snow here in Western Canada this is what I've come up with. What I can say is it may "feel tippy" I've actually stopped when it feels nasty and tried to pull it over.... Nope, now it might slide a little down slope but it so far has not flopped over. I would say 5-2 rims and I'm running 26 by 11 by 12 tires on all corners might help a little, but you are higher too. When I'm next out I'll use my iPhone level and slope clinometer to see how steep side slope I can go with out flopping it over.

As noted in other post on here, I find as I can't see the wheels on the P5 it feels awful at times, compare to my Honda Rubi ATV. Compare to ATV you can't really apply any body English in a meaningful way and not seeing if the wheels are touching (or lifting off) makes it feel tippy. Have even opened the door on the high side and hung out for a little counter balance, (really not sure this does anything, but makes me feel better). Had my son stand with door open on high side and lean out to counter. We stopped at that point to see if we could pull it over... Nope, it did slide downslope a little, only because we where pulling on the ROPS though I think.

Again next time out I'll take some measurements best I can and a pix or two.

jrc

Reactions: hambone and rocmar
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Respectfully Monte I have to disagree with your assertion that the P5 is tippy, (compared to what)? Now that I've driven mine 3200 Kms in a variety of terrain from desert to swamp and snow here in Western Canada this is what I've come up with. What I can say is it may "feel tippy" I've actually stopped when it feels nasty and tried to pull it over.... Nope, now it might slide a little down slope but it so far has not flopped over. I would say 5-2 rims and I'm running 26 by 11 by 12 tires on all corners might help a little, but you are higher too. When I'm next out I'll use my iPhone level and slope clinometer to see how steep side slope I can go with out flopping it over.

As noted in other post on here, I find as I can't see the wheels on the P5 it feels awful at times, compare to my Honda Rubi ATV. Compare to ATV you can't really apply any body English in a meaningful way and not seeing if the wheels are touching (or lifting off) makes it feel tippy. Have even opened the door on the high side and hung out for a little counter balance, (really not sure this does anything, but makes me feel better). Had my son stand with door open on high side and lean out to counter. We stopped at that point to see if we could pull it over... Nope, it did slide downslope a little, only because we where pulling on the ROPS though I think.

jrc

Did you put rear shocks at the front end?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

jrc
Compared to any 56-60" SXS. All opinions are welcome here, and this is how we help guys like shep make an informed decision.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

jrc

I felt my was a little tippy
but feeling tippy & wheel off ground
different story....
If you go up...with tire size
...you must also go out
IMO...
Wolverine is also an option. ....
I don't determine my purchase
by make....
Gotta fit my needs...

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Rant/
My 500 is pretty tall on 30's and while I did add 2" spacers on all corners to make it a bit more "Sure footed" I would not call it "Tippy" any more than many other true trail machines. Some people may have the feeling of tipping over, but I have tipped over and it takes a bit more than many think.

The Foreman has taller stock tires, and is narrower, and weighs about 350 pounds less. The biggest difference is that you can use body english on an ATV and not so much in a side X. This has comparable dimensions to the Arctic Cat 700 wildcat trail and people will point and the pioneer and call it tippy? Sure, you can fall on your side, but I ride with a RZR1000 4 seater that was on it's side last weekend. The low range in the 500 makes it mechanically superior to the 700 2 seater in every way except the dump bed. The power to weight ratio is the same. No power advantage exists for the 700.
The 700 has no low and that is the biggest complaint about those,that 3 speed transmission with a torque converter is better than a belt drive I guess, but not at the cost of a low range.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Rant/
My 500 is pretty tall on 30's and while I did add 2" spacers on all corners to make it a bit more "Sure footed" I would not call it "Tippy" any more than many other true trail machines. Some people may have the feeling of tipping over, but I have tipped over and it takes a bit more than many think.

The Foreman has taller stock tires, and is narrower, and weighs about 350 pounds less. The biggest difference is that you can use body english on an ATV and not so much in a side X. This has comparable dimensions to the Arctic Cat 700 wildcat trail and people will point and the pioneer and call it tippy? Sure, you can fall on your side, but I ride with a RZR1000 4 seater that was on it's side last weekend. The low range in the 500 makes it mechanically superior to the 700 2 seater in every way except the dump bed. The power to weight ratio is the same. No power advantage exists for the 700.
The 700 has no low and that is the biggest complaint about those,that 3 speed transmission with a torque converter is better than a belt drive I guess, but not at the cost of a low range.

Kool....P5
can ya post wat
2" spacers ya went with
thanks bro

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Did you put rear shocks at the front end?

No as I'm in Canada, did the warrenty return and mine are now adjustable on all 4 corners. Fair amount softer ride too especially on the smaller bumps. What I did was add a 1/2" spacer on all corners, tried 1" but found it was much like the original stockers so went to 1/2". It is a bit lower but with 26" tires and spacers with shocks on lowest setting works for me and is higher then original stock, iirc. I don't really understand why they (warrenty shocks) aren't offered in the USA.

j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Compared to any 56-60" SXS. All opinions are welcome here, and this is how we help guys like shep make an informed decision.

Oh ok compared to wider gotcha. I've ridden in a few Rhinos, still feels awful when on a side hill, worse as I'm not driving, I think you have to log some miles to get used to any of them. The thought of flopping it over is not appealing to me in the least, it'd be a challenge to keep the arms in...

j

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500

I went from (still have the beast) Can AM Outlander to the P5 after driving a friends RZR (Zippo) I must say I love the little P5. The low speed tractor like gearing coupled with a manual transmission is its best feature. Also the fact that it is trail size is a good thing at least in my opinion.
Its really a matter of caution and careful consideration while side hilling or hitting those deep ruts at mach 2. Unless you are a really big guy the P5 is perfect. Easy to transport, sips fuel, can go 40, has the rear rack that can carry a house and its a Honda. What could go wrong?

Anyway all I can say is good luck and I am very happy with my purchase. I stayed to near stock diameter tires because of the already fairly serious horsepower loss I have from elevation. Good luck with your choices. I honestly don't know anybody who is unhappy with buying one of these little critters.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I went from (still have the beast) Can AM Outlander to the P5 after driving a friends RZR (Zippo) I must say I love the little P5. The low speed tractor like gearing coupled with a manual transmission is its best feature. Also the fact that it is trail size is a good thing at least in my opinion.
Its really a matter of caution and careful consideration while side hilling or hitting those deep ruts at mach 2. Unless you are a really big guy the P5 is perfect. Easy to transport, sips fuel, can go 40, has the rear rack that can carry a house and its a Honda. What could go wrong?

Anyway all I can say is good luck and I am very happy with my purchase. I stayed to near stock diameter tires because of the already fairly serious horsepower loss I have from elevation. Good luck with your choices. I honestly don't know anybody who is unhappy with buying one of these little critters.
Elevation. ......
It's fuel injected
that shouldn't be a
factor..
I've had mine from
sea level to 12,138ft
not a sputter. ...
just sayin

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Oh ok compared to wider gotcha. I've ridden in a few Rhinos, still feels awful when on a side hill, worse as I'm not driving, I think you have to log some miles to get used to any of them. The thought of flopping it over is not appealing to me in the least, it'd be a challenge to keep the arms in...

j
Well, that's what shep was comparing it to, a Polaris, which I own also. And the Polaris is vastly more stable. In nearly 5,000 miles I've never once been in a situation where I felt it was going to tip over. The P5, all the time, and I've actually had it on its side. So I consider the P5 to be very tippy and I think that based on his comments that shep may feel more comfortable in a 60" machine. My two cents.

Reactions: JTW and JCart
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Well, that's what shep was comparing it to, a Polaris, which I own also. And the Polaris is vastly more stable. In nearly 5,000 miles I've never once been in a situation where I felt it was going to tip over. The P5, all the time, and I've actually had it on its side. So I consider the P5 to be very tippy and I think that based on his comments that shep may feel more comfortable in a 60" machine. My two cents.
Just curious Monte. Are we comparing 50" machines to 50" or 50" to 60". My friends RZR is 50" and while its okay there is still not the stability of the wider machines.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!