BOX1

C'Mon... Post your sand riding reviews!

O

Oregondunes89

Oct 17, 2013
I'm still looking for good reviews on how the Pioneer does in the sand, preferably the sand dunes or deep sand! Let me know what you got! Videos and pics welcome!

B

bleed

Apr 25, 2014
I want the same kind of details. I have $14,000.00 sitting in my toy fund and a dealer 20 minutes from me. As soon as I am comfortable with the Pioneer's power and torque I'm placing an order. The trouble is that for every comment of "it has plenty of power" you get a detailed report that it only has enough power on the flat or with 1 passenger. I want to believe the motor can keep up with the rest of the machine, because I WANT THE PIONEER! It will last a lifetime and is an amazingly innovative design.

But then you see stuff like these two videos and it makes you wonder.

This first one about mudding, it sounds like the motor is bouncing on the redline
http://youtu.be/CfKqEJxWxss?t=33s

This comparison video has a bunch of garbage about how big and comfortable the three across front bench designs are and how crazy it is that wheel base and body length correlate. But then it flat out shows the Pioneer bog down in a couple inches of sand, you can see the wheels just hesitate and stall.
http://youtu.be/ayGWeT67aGU

I want to buy the Pioneer... but I don't want to hate it every time I climb in, because it can't pull or climb or cross a muddy trail.

I check You Tube every week and filter by new videos hoping to see some solid owners reviews demonstrating real world utility

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I know your concerns you I had the same ones. My biggest concern was the lack of low gear. With the deal I got and the way it worked out I got the pioneer and figured I am just gonna have to find out for my self. I have been in a little sand and was able to do ok. But the sand is not why I bought it. If you are strictly buying the pioneer for sand I think you will be disappointed some times depending on what you were trying to do. With the rides I have gone on which have all been trail rides I have not had any problems with power or hills climbs. Which granted all hills were dry. I did have an issue going up a muddy hill once because of the lack of power but it is what it is. I don't see my self being in those situations very often ever. So for me with me going on all trail rides and some hill climbs the pioneer has not let me down.

A

av8or

Apr 13, 2014
If your looking for a sand duner I wouldn't buy the pioneer. I've had mine to the Oregon dunes and it only did ok. I have rode a Raptor 700 there many times, and comparing it to the pioneer is night and day. In my opinion the pioneer is just too heavy and under powered for the dunes. I had the stock tires on at 8psi, and they dug in real easy. The pioneer is great for Oregon logging roads and trails, but not the dunes. If I were looking for a sxs for the dunes I would look more for lighter and as much HP as I could get. A raptor 700 weighs in at under 400lbs. Pioneer add a half ton with same size engine.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
First video. the guy was pumping the gas not even close to red line. it would have upshifted it it was.
Second video. Looks like yamaha is worried about looseing sales to honda.
I have never needed or wanted low range in 600 miles of snow mud or hills I could not beleave anything could climb.
i have 27 " tires and that didnt even hurt the power.i keep driving around wondering when I will need low range even when I know the answer. Never...
What most peaple dont understand is that low range is to save the belt.
That sead I would not buy eather sxs for the dunes will it climb most hills yes will it be fast . no. its a trail machine it takes big hp to play in the sand dunes. I spent a few days in very soft sand in floridas acala state park the bike went very good. Adding big hills to that would be different. The yamaha would be the same. I have spent a lot of time in very large sand pitts over the yeary it take lots of tire speed and spin to climb in the sand. neather bike will do that .if you want to cruse around an climb what you can the honda will be fun.
Lets put it this way I was a big 3 wheeler back in my teens first one was a 200x it was a blast I could climb almost all of the pit walls with it, the large ones needed a running start. Next 3 were 85 and 86 250r's. I never found a hill I could not climb even from a stand still at the bottom. Both both sxs are 200x s

B

bandyt74

Mar 31, 2014
We have a 700-4, plenty of power for three riders, on some serious trails. Very pleased with what we decided to go with. Total weight 500-600 lbs of riders and gear!

W

wvcota

Feb 10, 2014
I agree with , spifyd First video the guy was pumping the gas( maybe bouncing around) not redlined.
I too think the Second video Looks like Yamaha is worried about losing sales to Honda watch close when it talks about ground clearance, watch the front tire, the Honda front tire looks almost flat especially in the second seen!!!. I believe this video is a little miss leading.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
The videos is full of flat out lies. Climbing the hill it would have spun its self to a stop. Same in the sand, especially with with stock tires. The stock tires dont float like radials.thay dig and there is now way it would stop spinning. The clip with it tuning loaded was in 4 wheel dif lock wide open. I wonder why it wouldnt turning sharpe.
Yamaha should be a shamed of them self.
The only thing I will give them is the skid plates.

C

copperhorse

Jul 15, 2014
Dont have any pics but was just at the oregon coast this weekend and it did great except the ride was a little rough for me. However I just sold my rzr and got this. I like the fold away seats and the rzr was not practical for hunting. It did have much better supension so I guess it is not fair to compare. It did fine in 2 w and 4 w my wife got it stuck but put it in 4 w lock and it pulled right out. All in all I like it.It gets around just fine.

Reactions: cutt69
C

Catfish

May 23, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really like my p700 no they ain't good in dunes does ok but not great on big sand hills... Soo far as mud an trail ridding it's awesome my buddy's gots rzr 1000s an I can go anywhere they can up mud hills mud bogs an rock cliffs.. We even put em to a mud off the rzr made it 2 inches farther than my p700 I can live with that... Seeing that they paid 20,000 an I only paid 10

Reactions: joeymt33