Cold weather or something else?

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out ice fishing and it was kind of cold (-20 celcius, but I've been out in colder weather) and the bike didn't start. Checked all the fuses, the coolant, then i checked all connections to battery everything seemed fine. The display wasn't turning on, it was completely black, but it was trying to turn over anyways. Then, i checked the main fuse (40a) near the battery, took it out, looked fine and then put it back and it started? I have no idea what happened? Anybody have any ideas. I hope this doesn't happen again.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now, that i think about it maybe the fuse got unseated with all the riding around, but that's kind of an annoying issue to have.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So...thats about 4 F, right? So was the engine rotating? Slowly, normally? When it started, did the cluster display normally?

I really doubt the fuse was unseated if it was turning over.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once i got it started everything was fine. Engine ran normally, but as always when it's cold like this it takes a bit of time for it to warm up and the gears switch with a little more difficulty. Another thing i noticed is that if you put the fuse in the wrong way, the display panel had the check engine light on and the coolant light on. Once the fuse is turned around everything is fine. Not sure, if it wasn't unseated then. When the display was off at first before i tried anything it was turning over as if nothing was wrong, just didn't want to fire.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
primeau said:
Once i got it started everything was fine. Engine ran normally, but as always when it's cold like this it takes a bit of time for it to warm up and the gears switch with a little more difficulty. Another thing i noticed is that if you put the fuse in the wrong way, the display panel had the check engine light on and the coolant light on. Once the fuse is turned around everything is fine. Not sure, if it wasn't unseated then. When the display was off at first before i tried anything it was turning over as if nothing was wrong, just didn't want to fire.
Fuse should work either way. Check out the blades and terminals where it goes for damage and good contact. Check that everything around it you might accidentally be touching is tight/ok. Did you check the batt terminals? Mine were finger tight.

A poor connection will cause all kinds of odd behaviors. It's better to be proactive with this and try and find the problem before it leaves you stranded on the trail. I'd also talk to my dealer about it.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You know. Something like has happened to me b 4 on my Rubicon.
I never found the problem and it never happened again.
So. Hopefully yours is the same.
Please keep us updated if you find anything or it happens again.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Used it all day yesterday and it was -35 or below. Never did it again, so i don't think it's the cold. Hopefully it's like you said and never happens again.

R

RonM

Sep 28, 2015
I have had an issue with the display not working in cold weather. -5 to +10 degrees, and when the display is not working the engine will crank over but not start, seems like the safety interlock will not allow it to start. Plenty of crank in the battery. Have had to use a hair dryer under the hood to warm the back of the dash and when the display comes alive it cranks right over.

Reactions: bobbyhill
Duramax

Duramax

Jul 23, 2015
Dresden,TN
I have had an issue with the display not working in cold weather. -5 to +10 degrees, and when the display is not working the engine will crank over but not start, seems like the safety interlock will not allow it to start. Plenty of crank in the battery. Have had to use a hair dryer under the hood to warm the back of the dash and when the display comes alive it cranks right over.
Hearing this reminds me of something I worked on before I think it was a mazda . I had a defective display on that would show ckeck engine light occasionally and not start because the display/cluster would send a error signal to the ecm and put it in default and prevent it front starting or cut the starting power in half making me think I had battery/wiring issues. I chased this problem down for 2 days with know luck until I replaced the display/cluster because two of the gauges were wrong.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hearing this reminds me of something too...

It's nice to live in the south.

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Humm that is a new one for me! i keep an eye out. and welcome to the club @RonM!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!