P700 Couple of questions for the gang

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

I promise to post some pics real soon but, first I bought duro tires (not aggressive mud tires but wide and for general use, no doubt some of you are squealing at that thought alone LOL!) and ITP steel rims. All are the same so I can rotate them. We do not do the mud trail thing, so this combination seemed good for our needs. After the install the ride was considerable smoother. My concern is the chucking of the rear wheels when doing three point turn etc. Is this to be expected or is the air pressure wrong or is something else amiss. I got the 25 X 10 X 12 size. They look great and again very smooth buttttt? Is this just the way it will be? I also bought a Silent Rider exhaust. Company forgot to include the gasket though. Coming this week. I want to say how GREAT Rocky Mountain is. I order tires and they came the next day. Mounted and ready to go. VERY IMPRESSED. Lastly, does anyone have demensions for fender flares for my rig 2016 700-4? I was thinking of buying some ABS and making my own. They seem so expensive to buy for all they are? OK, that's my need list for today. I will post pics soon.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The tires chirping on sharp turns on pavement is totally normal. Your ride has a locked rear end, sometimes called a live axle. It means the two rear wheels turn the same speed ALWAYS. When making a sharp turn the outside tire must travel a greater distance than the inside tire so to compensate the inside tire slips which causes the noise you hear. No big deal!

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
The tires chirping on sharp turns on pavement is totally normal. Your ride has a locked rear end, sometimes called a live axle. It means the two rear wheels turn the same speed ALWAYS. When making a sharp turn the outside tire must travel a greater distance than the inside tire so to compensate the inside tire slips which causes the noise you hear. No big deal!

Has anyone looked at a limited slip option? I assume the internal of the diff are just a solid piece based on the tiny housing? I noticed this too and was going ask as a new owner. I knew what it felt like, didn't know it was a mechanical lock/one piece axle. A trick ARB locker with dash switch would be super nice!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Be sure to give us your impression of the exhaust system. You should take your machine out and run it a lot before you change so that you can get a feel for any power loss.

What the fender flares if you don't ride in any mud?

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I have been studying on a set of fender flares too but i am a tight @$$ and don't wanna pay what they think the flares are worth. I am planning on making a set of fender flares out of a 10" or 12 " 1/8-3/16" flat rubber. 1 They will flex when rubbing against rocks or tree's instead of ripping off or breaking, 2 my rear 12" n front 10" tires sling that crap out of mud and water so the inside of my roof and windshield get muddy along with us and 3 when hauling passengers in messy conditions there is mud and water that will sling in on the back of the rear passengers legs and feet between the floorboard and bed frame at the floorboard.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Here are some photo's of home made mud guards ( or fender flares ) made out of 1/8" ABS plastic. Just heat to bend, I used a body shop hair dryer. Oh if you by a Pioneer 1000 it has a turf mode so you can eliminate chunking if you like. This is a 700 2P

2007 01 01 120151 2014 11 10 051306 Lt front fender flare Rear fender flares Rt rear fender flare Rt rear side view

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

Great suggestion on the ABS/Rubber flares. I assume you just did a cardboard mock up first? Did you use the factory fasteners or metal screws to attach? These new tires are wider than the stock ones and no doubt will throw a lot of water or mud. If anyone could post a pic of the 700-4 flares laid out or has dimensions, that would be very helpful in designing a set. No we don't venture into the swamp holes but do experience those lesser conditions. We use to use a custom golf cart and when I decided it was time for something new, the wife agreed that a unit that could plow out the drive way was a good investment that covered both needs. Thus the need to have summer tread and winter tread. Smooth comfy ride for her in the summer and snowplowing power for me in the winter. The silencer was needed due to close proximity to other people and dogs during the summer. Need to keep the noise down a little. So I will report back once everything is in place.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Great suggestion on the ABS/Rubber flares. I assume you just did a cardboard mock up first? Did you use the factory fasteners or metal screws to attach? These new tires are wider than the stock ones and no doubt will throw a lot of water or mud. If anyone could post a pic of the 700-4 flares laid out or has dimensions, that would be very helpful in designing a set. No we don't venture into the swamp holes but do experience those lesser conditions. We use to use a custom golf cart and when I decided it was time for something new, the wife agreed that a unit that could plow out the drive way was a good investment that covered both needs. Thus the need to have summer tread and winter tread. Smooth comfy ride for her in the summer and snowplowing power for me in the winter. The silencer was needed due to close proximity to other people and dogs during the summer. Need to keep the noise down a little. So I will report back once everything is in place.
Planning on using rubber. Haven't done it yet but yes I will be using cardboard to make templates and not sure on how I will secure it. I will post pics once I get going.

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought the available retail fender flares and was not impressed with fit and finish. The front ones were not going on without drilling some new mounting holes and the rear were hard to get the fasteners to line up at best. the bends are not very precise nor are they bent all the way to the correct angle. I just didn't want to spend a bunch of time engineering something that was already done, but kinda wish I had made my own. Price is a little high for what they are, but the market for this product is relatively small so I can understand getting a premium for them, just wish they were a little better fit.

Dogjudge

Dogjudge

Well here's a pic with the new wheels. Center caps had to bought else where as Rocky Mountain didn't have them . Not a bad look and rotatable I'll put the stock tires and wheels back on for snow season The exhaust does help but certainly not whisper quiet. Smoked like a steel mill for a while when first installed. Really hot Thought it was on fire until I stopped to look where all the smoke was coming from Good power but again I use it for different things than most on here.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!