P700 CV axle boots

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Is anyone having trouble with axel boots cracking and busting around the clamp i have stick gaurds and the axel isn't but a year or so old

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is anyone having trouble with axel boots cracking and busting around the clamp i have stick gaurds and the axel isn't but a year or so old
Hmm no cant say I've had that problem. They can wear faster if they're caked in mud or if grass or weeds or whatever get wrapped around them. Also if ice or snow get packed in there, but I doubt that's your issue in August.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just noticed my inner front left is busted. Hopefully my replacement will be here this afternoon. It doesn't look like the most fun repair job I'll do. Anyone have links or tips for changing the boot on the 700?

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I just noticed my inner front left is busted. Hopefully my replacement will be here this afternoon. It doesn't look like the most fun repair job I'll do. Anyone have links or tips for changing the boot on the 700?
Are u changing just boot or axel to

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hopefully just the boot. I'm hoping the axel is still ok. I haven't driven it much at all lately. Hopefully I caught it early enough.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I believe the inner joint will come off the axel shaft what u do is get the axel out cut the clamps on the boots push boot back there should be a big ring on the inside of the axel cup right at the edge take it out the cup then should pop off then a snap ring holds the joint on remove it then boot will slide off put new one on put joint back together put as much grease as u can around joint

Reactions: LandPioneer
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Also if ur worried about the joint im not sure but i no on other models u can buy just the inside joint the outer joint comes with joint and shaft but inner can get just joint I don't no about the pioneers yet

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
I bought boots from all balls to replace mine it comes with a cone claiming u can stretch the rubber over the axel joint so u don't have to remove joint I haven't tried it yet

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
OK good deal. I ordered mine from all balls too. I hope to fix mine by the end of the week. That way I have some time to test it before going on another ride.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do you know if the middle nut for the hub is a 30mm? I'm going to have to purchase one if so. My kit doesn't go up that high and I moved too far away from my Dad LOL. Damn to be young again and "borrow" all my Dad's tools!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bought boots from all balls to replace mine it comes with a cone claiming u can stretch the rubber over the axel joint so u don't have to remove joint I haven't tried it yet

Also a neat tip you can get a small plastic funnel for about a dollar at Walmart. I cut the small end just so it is the size of the axle and the large end to the size of the CV joint. Then you can do the same with the OEM boots (slide and stretch over funnel / joint) as well if you don't have that cone/ tool from allsballs.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also a neat tip you can get a small plastic funnel for about a dollar at Walmart. I cut the small end just so it is the size of the axle and the large end to the size of the CV joint. Then you can do the same with the OEM boots (slide and stretch over funnel / joint) as well if you don't have that cone/ tool from allsballs.
Cool thanks for the tip Jackal. BTW, I see you are from down there close to Windrock and RRB. I'll have to meet up with you sometime down there. I'm headed to Windrock on the 15th. I've been outfitting my rig for trail riding. Pretty excited about getting it down there to test it out.

Reactions: JACKAL
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Do you know if the middle nut for the hub is a 30mm? I'm going to have to purchase one if so. My kit doesn't go up that high and I moved too far away from my Dad LOL. Damn to be young again and "borrow" all my Dad's tools!
Not sure haven't done mine yet i no the old straight axel wheelers r 30m

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Does the small end of the rubber shrink back down to axel good iv never done it over the joint before scared it streche and be loose

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does the small end of the rubber shrink back down to axel good iv never done it over the joint before scared it streche and be loose
Just like child birth, but snaps back quicker. Just don't attempt an apeasiotomy to relieve the strain.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
My lr inner ripped apart on Sundays ride. It's a clean cut like a razorblade. Ruined my axle to finish the ride out. It's a clean cut as if a manufacturing defect. My 700 just hit a yr old.

20160923 085054

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
My lr inner ripped apart on Sundays ride. It's a clean cut like a razorblade. Ruined my axle to finish the ride out. It's a clean cut as if a manufacturing defect. My 700 just hit a yr old.

View attachment 22773
Wow that sucks! Mine was a hole about as wide as your pinky. It was slinging grease out though. I disassembled the whole thing and cleaned it up. Just waiting on the boot to come in to put everything back together.
Do you have a arm protectors? I ask because I don't think anything actually hit mine. I have a suspicion that it ripped by itself.
Side note: Is yours the blue 700 that was for sale on Craigslist a while back up around the Smithville area?

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Wow that sucks! Mine was a hole about as wide as your pinky. It was slinging grease out though. I disassembled the whole thing and cleaned it up. Just waiting on the boot to come in to put everything back together.
Do you have a arm protectors? I ask because I don't think anything actually hit mine. I have a suspicion that it ripped by itself.
Side note: Is yours the blue 700 that was for sale on Craigslist a while back up around the Smithville area?
I don't think anything actually hit mine either I was to clean of a cut. I do not have A Arm guards either so who really knows. Yessir that's lil blue. Decided to keep it. Wife would love a 1000 tho.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't think anything actually hit mine either I was to clean of a cut. I do not have A Arm guards either so who really knows. Yessir that's lil blue. Decided to keep it. Wife would love a 1000 tho.
Maybe the after market All Balls will hold up better. If not that is going to be a pain. Definitely not the hardest job in the world but not something I want to be doing very often! I went ahead and ordered the UHMW protectors for mine as well.
I thought that was you. I was they guy that inquired about it that has a place at Pate's Ford. I found a 2016 Red 700-4 with like 90 miles. Now I'm addicted to accessories and I have to stop before a divorce is in my future LOL.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!