P700 Elevation issues?

N

nwdude

Jun 10, 2016
oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 700-4 and the ocd side of me has been researching the #$%# out this machine. Everything I have come across has been fairly positive other then the units seem high geared on the low end also issues with riding at elevation. Where I live the elevation isn't an issue and the guys at the local shop are kind of clueless when I ask questions. Pretty sure I know more about a machine they are trying to sell... Anyway seems like the 2014 struggled more then what I have found with the 15/16 models since they did a few modifications to the 15 model. My primary use will be for hunting and some camping up to 7k in elevation. My concern is trips to Colorado where we be riding at 10k up steeper terrain. So was curious on some feedback from those with 15/16 model?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The '15 and '16's have an O2 sensor to help compensate for different elevations. The '14's don't have one which is why they struggle a bit up high

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Probably the best way is to get a tuner from dobeck WITH the auto tune feature. With this unit you actually install an O2 sensor in the head pipe and then set your desired AFR (air fuel ratio). The tuner will then automatically adjust fuel delivery based on hitting that target AFR. This is what I plan on doing to alleviate the problem. The reason I've not yet done it is because I've never not been able to climb something, although it felt sluggish. The dobeck kit is $400, but I can't tell if that includes all you need or if it's meant to be added on top of their tuner or what. I may have to email them. Here's what I'm looking at @Graham-

AFR+ - Air/Fuel Ratio gauge plus EFI controller. #1 Fuel trimming and closed loop controller.

M

mantifun

Aug 22, 2016
Sandy,Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 700-4 and the ocd side of me has been researching the #$%# out this machine. Everything I have come across has been fairly positive other then the units seem high geared on the low end also issues with riding at elevation. Where I live the elevation isn't an issue and the guys at the local shop are kind of clueless when I ask questions. Pretty sure I know more about a machine they are trying to sell... Anyway seems like the 2014 struggled more then what I have found with the 15/16 models since they did a few modifications to the 15 model. My primary use will be for hunting and some camping up to 7k in elevation. My concern is trips to Colorado where we be riding at 10k up steeper terrain. So was curious on some feedback from those with 15/16 model?
Hi gang, i am brand new to forum. sorry for stupiity from the get go! i have an 2015 700-4 new to me and went riding in Manti Utah last weekend. had a blast love this machine--- but-- i lost forward momentum between 7200 and 8000 feet awesome power lower and higher elevations
reading past posts - what am i really looking for? air flow, exhaust, trans, low blinker fluid?
this happened up the manti face 10 miles uphill from 20degree pitch to my guess 55degree.
there was 18 machines of different brands and sizes, but , i was the only honda so i can not compare apples to apples.

M

mantifun

Aug 22, 2016
Sandy,Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi gang, i am brand new to forum. sorry for stupiity from the get go! i have an 2015 700-4 new to me and went riding in Manti Utah last weekend. had a blast love this machine--- but-- i lost forward momentum between 7200 and 8000 feet awesome power lower and higher elevations
reading past posts - what am i really looking for? air flow, exhaust, trans, low blinker fluid?
this happened up the manti face 10 miles uphill from 20degree pitch to my guess 55degree.
there was 18 machines of different brands and sizes, but , i was the only honda so i can not compare apples to apples.
i did retry this hill 3 times stopping in the same spot, 4th time i turned wheel and managed to get 1 mph up and over this spot, had more climbing up to 10k- machine never died, just no momentum.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So long story short, your engine died when you hit a steep climb? Or you just didn't have the power to get up it?

M

mantifun

Aug 22, 2016
Sandy,Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
engine did not die- just lost forward momentum until dead stop. backed down hill 100 yards made 2 more runs to the top- same thing.
4th attempt I did make it at 1 mph

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
engine did not die- just lost forward momentum until dead stop. backed down hill 100 yards made 2 more runs to the top- same thing.

Welcome to the forum mantifun and thanks for posting. I've read alot about these machines and love hearing people's experiences and will make it west some day.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So just on that steep climb it did it? But then at higher elevations it seemed ok? That is weird and I'm sure very frustrating for you! I have one suggestion (that's why I asked so many questions) although it's probably a long shot, it's an easy thing you can try. I remember a long time ago reading about a similar problem someone was having when getting in steep situations. Now I don't remember all that well but the cause was something to do with the oil all going to the rear of the case on very steep inclines. I know sounds crazy and it's never happened to me but it did to them. Anyway, what they did and what you can try is adding an extra half a quart of oil to the engine.

I could be off here, I may not be understanding your problem completely, or it could have just been plain ol lack of power. But there's at least something to try.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!