BOX1
Resource icon

Multi PSA - Fuel tank breather hose - IMPORTANT modification for ALL!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Hondasxs or @JACKAL does the P1K need the fuel line extended or does it have a recovery type system?

Here is the Pioneer 1000 vent tube under the passenger side of the front seat, I am simply inserting a 3/16" barb and adding 2 ft. of 3/16" hose and running it up the back of the seat. The hose coming out of the white plastic fitting going into the frame. Pull out of frame add barb + add extended hose and run and and secure as you see fit.
20160113 161709

20160113 161720

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey what do you guys think of plumbing the vent into a snorkel, any dangers or negative consequences you can think of?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes you could run all the vents into an intake snorkel tube, but if it gets wheels side up may get fuel or oil into the intake tube.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
If it's wheels up, there are probably bigger problems at hand. I'm planning on running the baffles for diffs and sub-transmission, so it's just going to be for the fuel tank. where i'm thinking of putting it, it would cause the overflow to just run out the snorkel anyways, so should be alright.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Should fit. Worst case scenerio you'd need a different sized barb fitting coming out of the differential. Order one bellows for each differential you plan to do. And you probably already know this but you can't use a bellows for the fuel tank vent. Well... maybe you could but it would have to be about the size of a beach ball haha!

rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
Recently I have read at least 4 post where riders sunk there Pioneer. Now being its a HONDA, once you clear the vapor lock, drain the air box, and muffler it should crank right up.... But this was not the case.
Come to find out the fuel tank was contaminated with water in all 4 machines.

Being I am not afraid of the water I figured I needed to look into this before I became a victim. Well good news, I have figured out why so much water gets into the fuel so quickly...

Here's a quick video to explain.

Ok, ok... so the video is not exactly what happens but hopefully you can get the idea.

The fuel tank on the Pioneer is right beside the HOT motor. There is no doubt both the fuel and the air inside get fairly hot. Now, once your tank gets submerged it quickly cools and that creates negative pressure. Since the Pioneer is under water so is the breather hose for the fuel tank. Instead of pulling in air to relieve the negative pressure it pulls in water like a fire pump. Oh no... BAD day for you...

So, Please...
SNORKEL YOUR FUEL TANK BREATHER HOSE.
This has been a public service announcement brought to you by HondaSxS.com
Thank you!

Here is a few pics of what I did Friday.

View attachment 1530 View attachment 1531 View attachment 1532 View attachment 1533 View attachment 1534 View attachment 1535
I have snorkel everything on mine found out the hard way, front and rear breather r 2 low, fan , and gas tank. Have several friends that have lost fan motor be of water so snorkel it

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a important PSA that needs to be pushed back up...

Guys. This issue has claimed more rigs then I can remember. Even if you wish to keep your rig factory. Please consider doing this up to seat back level.

There are reports saying that even leaving it out in heavy rain can flood your tank. It's thought the frame holds water and enters the OEM breather location.

Please. $10 and 20 mins can save you a world of trouble.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Important heads up. Thanks.

J

JTW

This is a important PSA that needs to be pushed back up...

Guys. This issue has claimed more rigs then I can remember. Even if you wish to keep your rig factory. Please consider doing this up to seat back level.

There are reports saying that even leaving it out in heavy rain can flood your tank. It's thought the frame holds water and enters the OEM breather location.

Please. $10 and 20 mins can save you a world of trouble.
Damn... it's like the exactly oposite of popo!

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the info! I just checked my fuel breather and it's 3-4" below the air intake. I was in some deep water last ride and was only looking at the air intake as my high point. I'm going to take care of this ASAP!

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I’m going to get mine extended tomorrow. Where are you running the extension tube too? Where’s the best place?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey guys I’m going to get mine extended tomorrow. Where are you running the extension tube too? Where’s the best place?
On a P1, I ran mine up the middle roll cage passenger side and zip tied it to it. Went all the way up as high as I could go.

Reactions: TheHoover
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On a P1, I ran mine up the middle roll cage passenger side and zip tied it to it. Went all the way up as high as I could go.
I need to do this, when I over fill my gas tank I smell gas for a while, probally coming from the short vent tube.

Reactions: Remington
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings!
This Thread inspired me to join!
Do we know if this still an issue on the 2018 1005-LE ?
I'll receiving my rig in 1-2 weeks, if this is still a live issue;

is this solution that I found in another thread still a recommendable fix?
" The Original " Honda Pioneer 1000 Vent Extension Kit | eBay

**EDIT**
from what i see in other threads I just went ahead and order myself a kit from that seller. I did also find the other one selling something very similar at a lower cost, but I will stick with the good reputation and referrals.

Last edited:
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good thread. It answers the question I had in the other one..

I'll do my fuel tank first, & find a good place behind the seat to hook it to.

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Greetings!
This Thread inspired me to join!
Do we know if this still an issue on the 2018 1005-LE ?
I'll receiving my rig in 1-2 weeks, if this is still a live issue;

is this solution that I found in another thread still a recommendable fix?
" The Original " Honda Pioneer 1000 Vent Extension Kit | eBay

**EDIT**
from what i see in other threads I just went ahead and order myself a kit from that seller. I did also find the other one selling something very similar at a lower cost, but I will stick with the good reputation and referrals.
Wise move!

Reactions: BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!