P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have writen a letter to Honda about the heat issues. Today I recieved a phone call from Pam @ American Honda and they are aware of the extreme heat issues. I answered a few questions and told them what I have done to help with the problem and were very interested in my thoughts and are working on a solution to the problem. They have had many complaints from owners and are working with ideas to correct the problem. I am very happy they called and are interested in our problems, our voices have been heard. Thank you American Honda for listening to our concerns.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's really good! I hope they have an answer for this and call us back in for it.

If they do, that makes me happy that I haven't done any insulation wrap.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Every time I have talked with Honda Powersports Customer Service they have been very interested and reactive to my issues. I'm glad they are taking this seriously. Honestly, the heat doesn't bother me that much since it's never really that hot here, although I do notice it and on the occasional rare days that it is really warm here I could see it being an issue. I think I'll appreciate it in the winter, though.

Reactions: HBarlow and dotman1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sure Honda is interested in building better machines. I think as a company they strive to be the best. Watch out everyone else Honda will become the standard in sxs.

Ca51flatty

Ca51flatty

May 2, 2016
Riverside, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry but new to this conversation and problem. Can you explain what the heat issue is you are experiencing? I came from a Teryx and heat on that thing was really horrible. To make matters worse I live in the desert!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Making improvements to future models doesn't do sh*t to help the one I've already bought. They need to come out with a factory mod that will help current owners. I wasn't all that worried about it until my daughter started sitting in the middle of bench seat. That spot is unbearable.

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Making improvements to future models doesn't do sh*t to help the one I've already bought. They need to come out with a factory mod that will help current owners. I wasn't all that worried about it until my daughter started sitting in the middle of bench seat. That spot is unbearable.

I agree 100%. They need to come up with a retrofit kit to insulate under the seat and between the bottom and top of the seat. For what we all spent on our machines they should send one to all of us. Their 5 seater is essentially a 4 seater because of the heat in the middle of the front seat. One of the reasons I went with the P1k5 was having 5 seats (amongst many other reasons).

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hope Honda is listening to us!!!! the heat is bad on the back side and feet. Need some vents, heat shield and redirect the heat from the radiator.

Help Honda

Reactions: jasontjames
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find the heat under seat to be an issue only after about 70 degrees or so. Cooler than that, even with a windshield, roof and mid-panel it's mostly a welcome addition. I found that I could drive around without a coat or just a light jacket and be very comfortable in temps 40-65 or so. That being said, I live in Kentucky and the summers are awful. Before I bought my Pioneer, I was riding a Grizzly which also got terribly uncomfortable riding long distance in the summer months and that is sitting out in the open. So now that the temps are 80's and 90's, it's just hot so I have added a heat shield sold by a member of this group which made a considerable improvement then I placed a 4" bilge blower also described by other members which has my heat problems pretty much gone. Now I know it's a bit of a workaround and 95 degrees is still to hot to enjoy a long ride, but it has become perfectly serviceable. When the temps drop, out comes the blower. Only about 35 bucks.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find the heat under seat to be an issue only after about 70 degrees or so. Cooler than that, even with a windshield, roof and mid-panel it's mostly a welcome addition. I found that I could drive around without a coat or just a light jacket and be very comfortable in temps 40-65 or so. That being said, I live in Kentucky and the summers are awful. Before I bought my Pioneer, I was riding a Grizzly which also got terribly uncomfortable riding long distance in the summer months and that is sitting out in the open. So now that the temps are 80's and 90's, it's just hot so I have added a heat shield sold by a member of this group which made a considerable improvement then I placed a 4" bilge blower also described by other members which has my heat problems pretty much gone. Now I know it's a bit of a workaround and 95 degrees is still to hot to enjoy a long ride, but it has become perfectly serviceable. When the temps drop, out comes the blower. Only about 35 bucks.
Could you identify what bilge blower you used and post a picture of how you mounted it?

Reactions: Porkchop1950
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Lets all wright letters. Where do you send the letter to?
There was a CA address somewhere in this forum. I wrote a letter describing my heat complaints. I intentionally left my phone number out and included my email. They called me in a few days to discuss my concerns?? The tech stated he was only allowed to call. He explained how the accessories are causing the heat issues and without the top, windshield, and hard back I would not be having heat concerns. I explained that my accessories were factory Honda and they should have been tested for issues. He didn't have an answer and said it was not an issue they were looking into. So, it must be up to us!

Reactions: Everett
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could you identify what bilge blower you used and post a picture of how you mounted it?

Here is a link to the blower I put in...Amazon.com : Rule 240 In-Line Blower, High Air Flow, 4 inch Diameter, 12 volts DC : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors.

I will post a pic soon but my install is simple even compared to the two I have seen here at Hondasxs.com. So I could get the best angle, pulling air from near the front under the seat and blowing back across the headers, I simply hung the blower with wire ties and ran the wiring temporarily up around the ROPs and to a cigarette lighter plug into the factory outlet. I would have wired it into my switch plate but as of now, I'm out of open switches without making a new switch plate.

I must say that I love my Honda. I have added a second battery, PDM, rear light cubes,side/front light cubes, interior lights, a 40" curved bar on the front, 4500lb winch, home made switch plate in addition to the heat shield and blower and NONE of these great idea's were mine. All from experienced or creative members here. Oh yea, the heat shield I bought from Bayouownbeer and it's done well for a great price.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotman1 and cwalton
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Yamaha Vikings were so noisy Yamaha developed a sound mitigation kit to be installed on new models and retrofitted on the old ones. It also helped with heat issues. The owners had to purchase the upgrade and install it themselves or pay Yamaha to install. It helped but Vikings are still noisy.

Clutch and heat issues have kept me in the 700. It seems like the clutch issue was a very isolated problem but the heat issue is universal. I would like to go from two seats to three but if they are unusable I stick with two good ones.

Reactions: Tflynn and jawquin
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yamaha Vikings were so noisy Yamaha developed a sound mitigation kit to be installed on new models and retrofitted on the old ones. It also helped with heat issues. The owners had to purchase the upgrade and install it themselves or pay Yamaha to install. It helped but Vikings are still noisy.

Clutch and heat issues have kept me in the 700. It seems like the clutch issue was a very isolated problem but the heat issue is universal. I would like to go from two seats to three but if they are unusable I stick with two good ones.

I waited months for the 1000 to come out after looking at the 700 as the only other machine I would have purchased. After getting it, now with about 400 miles on it, mostly work, mostly very slow speeds, there is no problems with the clutch, the noise issue is really no issue, and the heat is manageable. I would absolutely do the same again.

Reactions: ChadMarti
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everything is hot in tennessee in the middle of the summer. I'll be loving the seat heat when it cools off! I usually do the most riding in cooler weather an anyway.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everything is hot in tennessee in the middle of the summer. I'll be loving the seat heat when it cools off! I usually do the most riding in cooler weather an anyway.

Me too. I'm a cool or cold weather guy. I like winter camping, I cut and haul firewood all fall and winter. I hunt. These guys that camp and ride long trails for pleasure in the summer are tougher than me.

Reactions: Jon63ill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!