P1000 Half Windshield Dust Issues

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Super ATV half windshield, which is a couple inches taller than the Honda unit, and after a dry weekend riding dirt roads, the dust swirl is unbearable. I ended up removing it, but I had rather have something to keep all the wind off me at speed, so I gotta figure something out to help. Does the rear/mid panel help with the half windshield, or does it cause more issues? I plan on adding a full glass windshield before next winter which only last around 2 months here in Arkansas, but in the warmer months the half windshield will be used, so 10 months out of the year.

Any ideas and thoughts on what to do?

Thanks

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
if you don't want to spend the extra money on the hard panel, get the soft rear panel. It helps a LOT on dust blow back. I bought one and was really happy with it having the 2 piece windshield.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tot is right it helps a lot. I went with the soft panel as you you can almost totally roll it out of the way which is nice to dissipate heat. The hard is nicer definitely but doesn't cool as well and in the way talking to people in back in the 5 passenger but way easier to take out in the 3 then in my 5. All in all no windshield is the best.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured it would help with the split or full windshield, but didn't know if it would help much with the half. Has anyone run only the lower portion of their split windshield with a rear panel?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I figured it would help with the split or full windshield, but didn't know if it would help much with the half. Has anyone run only the lower portion of their split windshield with a rear panel?
We did with the 700-4 just left mid unzipped a little in the center

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Better then with out for sure. We got to the point we only ran the roof though. Someone on the site brought up the bug buster net that seems the best but it's expensive. If you weren't using the roof the partial would be better too. These things just create a vortex inside.

Reactions: dotman1
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotcha. Thanks for the input. For the cost of the soft rear panel, I guess it is worth a shot. Is it safe to keep on going down the highway when its on the trailer? And is the fabric easy to clean or does mud stain it?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Gotcha. Thanks for the input. For the cost of the soft rear panel, I guess it is worth a shot. Is it safe to keep on going down the highway when its on the trailer? And is the fabric easy to clean or does mud stain it?

In my opinion, it needs to be rolled up when the vehicle is towed.

I'd say it cleans easily.

E33c9a6a69ea372963737eb8efb8e298

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For the price it's worth it! We have fabric doors and windshield as well and trailer it all the time people say you can't because of the stickers on the doors but we'll cruise at 75-85 no problems. But you have to enclose the cab to do it. With that said I'd absolutely say no by itself however it takes 30sec to roll up and then absolutely. It's something you can leave on at all times. The plastic takes a lot of abuse the door windows we leave on through the sticks brush and mud I don't mind a few scratches but back window won't get banged up near as bad. Ours does because we use mid and rear windows down to hold firewood in (you get a crap ton that way) so it gets scratched. Biggest thing do not smear mud off it you have to wash it off dust doesn't seem to be a problem. I would just use window cleaner as you have to be a little careful but jerk in mind it's totally out of the way in 30sec. The fabric can get as crappy as possible and washes out great especially with pressure. I fully suggest for the money.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
I leave mine on all the time, grated I have the windshield in front. As for cleaning it's pretty easy to clean. You can get some soft top clearer and conditioner that people with Jeeps use to help keep it in good shape. Luckily my mom drives a jeep and I can use some of her stuff.

I pressure wash mine and it looks good as new again. After washing it I use window cleaner to clean the rear window and get rid of most of the water spots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
I have the Super ATV half windshield, which is a couple inches taller than the Honda unit, and after a dry weekend riding dirt roads, the dust swirl is unbearable. I ended up removing it, but I had rather have something to keep all the wind off me at speed, so I gotta figure something out to help. Does the rear/mid panel help with the half windshield, or does it cause more issues? I plan on adding a full glass windshield before next winter which only last around 2 months here in Arkansas, but in the warmer months the half windshield will be used, so 10 months out of the year.

Any ideas and thoughts on what to do?

Thanks
I also went with the Super ATV half windshield. It sure does cause a lot of dust to swirl back in the cab. Here's some pics.

IMG 3057 IMG 3058 IMG 3059 IMG 3060

Reactions: Tot
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also went with the Super ATV half windshield. It sure does cause a lot of dust to swirl back in the cab. Here's some pics.

View attachment 14382 View attachment 14383 View attachment 14384 View attachment 14385

Same one I've got, but I have the hard roof too, so I am assuming its even worse in my case. Hopefully once I install the heat shield underneath the seat plus the mid panel, the dust will decrease in the cab. I am okay with some, but it makes my eyes water as it is and gets in my beer when its sitting in the cup holder! Not cool.

Reactions: Terminator
ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
Same one I've got, but I have the hard roof too, so I am assuming its even worse in my case. Hopefully once I install the heat shield underneath the seat plus the mid panel, the dust will decrease in the cab. I am okay with some, but it makes my eyes water as it is and gets in my beer when its sitting in the cup holder! Not cool.
Did you go with the soft mid panel or the Koplin hard mid panel? I just noticed that Koplin makes the hard mid panel.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am leaning towards the soft panel now, haven't ordered it yet. About to check out the Koplin, didn't know it existed.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you go with the soft mid panel or the Koplin hard mid panel? I just noticed that Koplin makes the hard mid panel.

Not having any luck locating the Koplin rear panel for the 1000, only for the 700 and the 500.

P

PonchoLejeune

Feb 14, 2016
Louisiana
I have the Honda split windshield. Think about trying to bend a piece of plexi and make some type of spoiler to attach to the bottom edge of top half of windshield to make it blow the wind on you not at the roof. Thinking this may help with dust. Going to use a couple of clamps to try it before making it permenate.

Reactions: Terminator and Tot
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!