P700 Hello from the UP of Michigan

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We don’t own a SXS yet, but have made up our minds and will be buying a Pioneer 700 in the not-too-distant future. Still can’t decide if we want a 700-2 or 700-4. I doubt we’d want to haul passengers more than once or twice a year when nieces and nephews visit from downstate. We may want to use the savings of a 700-2 to buy accessories.

Some of the uses for the machine will be wildlife and timber management activities on our 320 acres (about 230 acres of northern hardwood forest and the remainder in marsh and grassy areas that we manage for openland bird habitat). I maintain about 3 ½ miles of forest road on our property. We’ll also use if for general chores around the place.

I’m an avid grouse and woodcock hunter (or, sadly, but more accurately, I’ve become more of a grouse/woodcock conservationist these past few years). I’m looking forward to getting into more remote grouse coverts that I used to be able to walk to before knee and hip arthritis limited my range.

Finally, my wife and I are pretty excited about toodling around the many, many miles of wilderness forest roads we have up here – places we rarely get to see because many are pretty iffy in the truck.

For all these reasons, I think the 700 is the machine for us. It will be a work and pleasure vehicle. Reliability is important to us but safety in wilderness areas is critical, and to that end, I look forward to reading posts and asking questions about how best to accessorize the machine to minimize any unwanted “adventures” in the bush.

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now and truly appreciate all the wisdom, advice, and patience the members here offer up to those of us who are new to the SXS experience. Thank you all.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello @Yahbutno, The 700 is a great machine and you will enjoy it. However, I must say you really need to think about your choice. Many people who purchased the 2 seat wished they had gotten the 4. Plus the resell will be better valued if that day ever comes, and if you don't like the look of the rear bars, you can remove it fairly easily. Only real downside is the extra holes you have to clean out when its time to wash.

Anyways, if you have any questions you can find a answer to just post.
thanks.

Reactions: QuadMan747
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
we bought the four seater so my dogs could have a roof over thier heads. Too bad they always want to ride in front. We love our 700, we frequentley put in to work one day then take it for a trail ride the next.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
We don’t own a SXS yet, but have made up our minds and will be buying a Pioneer 700 in the not-too-distant future. Still can’t decide if we want a 700-2 or 700-4. I doubt we’d want to haul passengers more than once or twice a year when nieces and nephews visit from downstate. We may want to use the savings of a 700-2 to buy accessories.

Some of the uses for the machine will be wildlife and timber management activities on our 320 acres (about 230 acres of northern hardwood forest and the remainder in marsh and grassy areas that we manage for openland bird habitat). I maintain about 3 ½ miles of forest road on our property. We’ll also use if for general chores around the place.

I’m an avid grouse and woodcock hunter (or, sadly, but more accurately, I’ve become more of a grouse/woodcock conservationist these past few years). I’m looking forward to getting into more remote grouse coverts that I used to be able to walk to before knee and hip arthritis limited my range.

Finally, my wife and I are pretty excited about toodling around the many, many miles of wilderness forest roads we have up here – places we rarely get to see because many are pretty iffy in the truck.

For all these reasons, I think the 700 is the machine for us. It will be a work and pleasure vehicle. Reliability is important to us but safety in wilderness areas is critical, and to that end, I look forward to reading posts and asking questions about how best to accessorize the machine to minimize any unwanted “adventures” in the bush.

I’ve been reading the forums for a while now and truly appreciate all the wisdom, advice, and patience the members here offer up to those of us who are new to the SXS experience. Thank you all.
Welcome to the forum. Would like to see the UP. I come up to Mt.Clemons some due to my job, there is a paint plant there

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello @Yahbutno, The 700 is a great machine and you will enjoy it. However, I must say you really need to think about your choice. Many people who purchased the 2 seat wished they had gotten the 4. Plus the resell will be better valued if that day ever comes, and if you don't like the look of the rear bars, you can remove it fairly easily. Only real downside is the extra holes you have to clean out when its time to wash.

Anyways, if you have any questions you can find a answer to just post.
thanks.
Thanks for the advice - especially regarding the resale value. That never crossed my mind and it almost always something I factor in when buying a piece of equipment.

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yahbutno - Have a 700-2 , only 70 miles on it , great machine. Does everything we need it to. What area of the U.P. are in? -- Gus
Hi Gus, I'm in Sundell, about 30 miles SE of Marquette and half way between Skandia and Chatham - very close to the Laughing Whitefish Falls. I see you're from Iron Mountain - did you buy your 700 locally?

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
we bought the four seater so my dogs could have a roof over thier heads. Too bad they always want to ride in front. We love our 700, we frequentley put in to work one day then take it for a trail ride the next.
Love your pups. I've raised, hunted and field trialed Springers for years. I currently have two - in the truck, the 2 year old rides shotgun and my small 10 year old is content to ride the console between the front seats (she's my armrest). They'll be riding in the 700 when I get one and I'll try to make them ride in crates in the bed, but that'll only last for a couple of days and then I'll cave in to them.

Reactions: Remington
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Middle TN! I would definitely go for the 700-4. I have it and love the size. We don't use the back 2 seats very much but I'm glad we have them when we need them.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome from Middle TN! I would definitely go for the 700-4. I have it and love the size. We don't use the back 2 seats very much but I'm glad we have them when we need them.
My wife is reading all of these responses, too, and I can sense that all of your recs are tipping her toward a 4 seater. It's her money, too, and if she says she want the 4, then that's what it'll be. Thanks, all!

U

UPGus

Dec 3, 2016
Iron Mountain Mi. and Ralph Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-2
We bought it from the dealer in Iron Mountain , I think they also own the dealership in Marquette. Bought local as we own an Outdoors and Outfitters shop and appreciate when people buy local. Also the salesman is a good friend and will make sure we are taken care of. Benefits of a small town. My wife pretty much choose the 700 , (she had a knee replacement last year) it was the easiest for her to get in and out of. We both liked how it drove vs. the belt drives. Getting much snow yet? Looks like the west end will get a good foot or so tonight, with high winds along the lake. Anxious to try the 700 in a good snow. - Gus

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome, from Mid Michigan! I would buy the 4, I have a 1000-5 and my 2 black labs love the back (if they keep there butts still in the seat lol) you'll like it here, lots of good info and people. Never hesitate to ask if you need help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We bought it from the dealer in Iron Mountain , I think they also own the dealership in Marquette. Bought local as we own an Outdoors and Outfitters shop and appreciate when people buy local. Also the salesman is a good friend and will make sure we are taken care of. Benefits of a small town. My wife pretty much choose the 700 , (she had a knee replacement last year) it was the easiest for her to get in and out of. We both liked how it drove vs. the belt drives. Getting much snow yet? Looks like the west end will get a good foot or so tonight, with high winds along the lake. Anxious to try the 700 in a good snow. - Gus
Yeah, I think Iron Mountain, Marquette and Houghton dealerships are the same folks. I like to buy local, too, when I'm getting a reasonable deal. Bought our car in Green Bay, though as no one locally would come within a grand of what I got in GB. Most of our 4+ inches of snow melted the past few days, but it looks like we're in for 12-18 inches of lake effect in the next day or two - same stuff that's hitting the Keweenaw tonight. Archie

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Love your pups. I've raised, hunted and field trialed Springers for years. I currently have two - in the truck, the 2 year old rides shotgun and my small 10 year old is content to ride the console between the front seats (she's my armrest). They'll be riding in the 700 when I get one and I'll try to make them ride in crates in the bed, but that'll only last for a couple of days and then I'll cave in to them.
Crate???!!! mine run if they see the harness lol, they are way too spoiled they rule the roost around here, especially my two year old (the larger of mine), I knick named her freight train because she just plows here way thru everything. Seems how your wife reads this she wiil see that you also need doors X4 and a heater. We got a few inches the other day so I took the opportunity to go out to "make sure I was ready to snow" lol.
20161206 113014 zps0se0xhzs

Y

Yahbutno

Dec 2, 2016
UP of MI
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Crate???!!! mine run if they see the harness lol, they are way too spoiled they rule the roost around here, especially my two year old (the larger of mine), I knick named her freight train because she just plows here way thru everything. Seems how your wife reads this she wiil see that you also need doors X4 and a heater. We got a few inches the other day so I took the opportunity to go out to "make sure I was ready to snow" lol.
View attachment 27965
I'll make sure she reads your "suggestions."

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!