Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The stock lights are super dim. I just wish we could easily pic the tint we we want when purchasing LEDs and HID's. It's easier to find the right color in HID but not the LEDs unless you want to spend a ton.

The only reason we ask for pics and brand is so the next guy knows what to buy and what to stay away from. No one needs to buy the kit that I have.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you have a beam pattern picture? I care more about how the light performs instead of how the front of the vehicle looks.

My HID kit looked "cool" just like yours pictured but the light output was terrible. This is the OPT7 kit. Here are some pics....

Cool blue may look good but it's less effective for night vision. Our eyes are built for 4300k not this 6000k
View attachment 13466

Left a big hole in the middle
View attachment 13467

Scattered light pattern
View attachment 13468
I usually go 5000 which seems to be pretty good in the woods. Mine were drastically better than that too I've been thinking about it and I think it's the length of the bulb that affects the pattern I think there's a certain length bulb that works good because I've changed Hids into everything I own from my dirtbike Snowmobile's sxs bus Polaris to my truck and my Lexus and always had good luck. Sometimes the pattern isn't quite as good as factory but the amount of light has always made up for it in every way But it would be really nice if people that do have HIDS can show pattern so others can know what to buy

Last edited:
Reactions: DGann and joeymt33
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am surprised and disappointed to see that dark spot right in the middle field... That's where I would want more light.....

P500 needs 20" and more led flood\beam light bar.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Curious to see if the light patern would be the same on the P500. Other stupid question is, is the headlight adjustable on the P5?
They should be close but that sure adds complexity:)from what I've seen the 700 and standard 1000 are the same light housing. And yes absolutely there are adjuster screws they small Phillips. From what everyone says the headlights are all too high both of my Honda sxs's were too high.

Last edited:
Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
They should be close but that sure adds complexity:)from what I've seen the 700 and standard 1000 are the same light housing. And yes absolutely there are adjuster screws they small Phillips. From what everyone says the headlights are all too high both of my Honda sxs's were too high.
Tx, I'll certainly see if the adjustment helps. I am still not sure if I want to spend money on the HID kit without knowing if it is going to be suitable of if I'll get that black spot in from.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tx, I'll certainly see if the adjustment helps. I am still not sure if I want to spend money on the HID kit without knowing if it is going to be suitable of if I'll get that black spot in from.
Well if there are some kits that are working for some people and they are only 25 bucks or so it's not a bad idea in my mind because you don't even need to add a switch just plug and go they can always be returned if you didn't like it just plug into the housing real quick and check pattern. If the pattern was like joeys or a couple people I can see where that wouldn't work but it's not permanent so keep in mind it's a cheap fix and if it works people are very happy if not it's only an hour test

Reactions: longsidelandry
Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Well if there are some kits that are working for some people and they are only 25 bucks or so it's not a bad idea in my mind because you don't even need to add a switch just plug and go they can always be returned if you didn't like it just plug into the housing real quick and check pattern. If the pattern was like joeys or a couple people I can see where that wouldn't work but it's not permanent so keep in mind it's a cheap fix and if it works people are very happy if not it's only an hour test
It is way more expensive here in canada... On top of having 30% exchange rates, US dealers are killing us with shipping fees. So that 25$ kit with free shipping for you would be 35$ plus 25$ shipping. And returning is not as easy from Canada. HID kits in Canada are expensive.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It is way more expensive here in canada... On top of having 30% exchange rates, US dealers are killing us with shipping fees. So that 25$ kit with free shipping for you would be 35$ plus 25$ shipping. And returning is not as easy from Canada. HID kits in Canada are expensive.
That makes sense

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has anyone done the conversion on a standard 1000 yet

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
5k is brighter for sure.

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You like the 5k better than 6k?
You're obviously kicking this around. From what I've heard the 500 is tougher then the 700 was but a good set does work very well. I've thought many times even with the led in the 1000 to switch to the halogen housing and go hid. They were much brighter. My wife wants me to do body color again in the housings so I probably won't. Definitely consider this upgrade for the money though!

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You like the 5k better than 6k?

The 6k will give you more glare and doesn't look as natural. Remember that lumen is light output and color temp like 4300K, 5000k, etc is tint. Some people say that the 6000k looks brighter but that's just because it's harsh on your eyes when you look at it. I personally want my lights to look good for me when I'm behind the wheel and don't care if it looks cool to incoming vehicles.

I've tried the higher color temps and they reflect when it's wet so you have a harder time seeing the trail/road.

Some people say I'm a "tint snob" but I'm just practical vs making it look pretty.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 6k will give you more glare and doesn't look as natural. Remember that lumen is light output and color temp like 4300K, 5000k, etc is tint. Some people say that the 6000k looks brighter but that's just because it's harsh on your eyes when you look at it. I personally want my lights to look good for me when I'm behind the wheel and don't care if it looks cool to incoming vehicles.

I've tried the higher color temps and they reflect when it's wet so you have a harder time seeing the trail/road.

Some people say I'm a "tint snob" but I'm just practical vs making it look pretty.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

Very well said Joey. You have a way to explain things. I agree and will say 4300 is the best I just hate the color. Beyond 5k is just trying to show off

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very well said Joey. You have a way to explain things. I agree and will say 4300 is the best I just hate the color. Beyond 5k is just trying to show off

Sent from iPhone

I have a friend that says he can't stand it that his truck fog lights are a warmer tint compared to his headlights. He wants them to match. I keep telling him that fog lights are warmer and low to the ground by design, it's what is the most functional. I told him he has to make up his mind on what is more important, functionality or what complete strangers on the highway think of his vehicle. He admitted that he picks looks over functionality. There's no real right or wrong here, people should get what they want. I just always jump on this subject in hopes to save someone from buying two sets after they realize the 6k isn't what they want.

I just want that color changing light bar you've got so I can pick my tint for the application. Can you dial that thing in to a warm color?

SIGNATURE:

Reactions: Eltobgi
J

JTW

Yeah.. I don't care what they look like. I want them to function. So you guys would suggest a little less than 5k?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I personally love the look of 5-6k headlights and 3k driving. It's like European factory from the old days on steroids.
Not at all. It's either 5k or color. I run the blue/red/amber a lot though it really accentuates ground terrain for high speed night runs. Give and take though you loose some visibility up high for branches on color mode. Broke a whip clean off at about 50 mph last weekend because of that, grrrr

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah.. I don't care what they look like. I want them to function. So you guys would suggest a little less than 5k?

4300k is natural sunlight but 5k is close enough. I think you'd be happy with either one.

SIGNATURE:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Either. Like joey said. 4300 is great especially in rain or adverse conditions but looks like a super bright halogen. 5000 is a very good looking light that's very useful. We normally run 5k without other lighting.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!