BOX1

P700 Homemade Bed Extender

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
Hey guys, just thought I'd share this pretty cool way of making your own bed extender that worked out well for me. I used 1" PVC all around, painted it black, and used bungee cords to strap it down. I plan on redesigning how I secure it, but for now the bungee cords work fine; the bed doesn't move at all and there's no rattling.

Enjoy!

Happy

Bed1 Bed2 Bed3

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not too shabby! Lol.
What's your estimated total cost?

You sure this isn't the Honda one? Haha.

Reactions: HappyHonda
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
Thanks guys! @Tflynn I went for a long ride yesterday that had just about every kind of terrain you can think of, and it handled everything great! I was mainly concerned about the bed moving all over the place and rattling, but I have it strapped with bungee cords in a way that doesn't allow it to even budge. And @Hondasxs I'll take that as a compliment! haha but let me see, I think I paid around $40 or so for the 1" PVC piping, 10 90* elbows, 8 T's, and then the cost of the spray paint and cleaner/glue for the pvc. I got five 5' sections of pvc and I have one 5' section leftover with some scraps, so I'm sure if you got about 20' (four 5' sections) of 1" PVC it'd be more than enough.

I'm very happy with how it turned out, and it was even more satisfying to know that I saved about $200 because Honda's is $250!

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
That is SWEET HappyHonda !!!!! Time to get some PVC

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure it will work great as long as you don't depend on it in the cold that stuff is brittle below 40

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet you can use copper for about the same $

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
@Plumber32 I'm judging by your name that you know a thing or 2 about pvc! I made the extender mainly for when I have 3 passengers and need the cargo space, and I don't think I'll be going on many long rides over the winter (but we'll see!). Copper is a great idea though

Reactions: Plumber32
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd like to see a photo or two of the ends inside the bed to see how you did that

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like it! looks Sharp!

R

rmbrown77

Sep 16, 2015
Hey guys, just thought I'd share this pretty cool way of making your own bed extender that worked out well for me. I used 1" PVC all around, painted it black, and used bungee cords to strap it down. I plan on redesigning how I secure it, but for now the bungee cords work fine; the bed doesn't move at all and there's no rattling.

Enjoy!

Happy
Looks great may be making one myself. Does anyone know how the factory one mounts to maybe copy with this one ?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here is a thought I wanted to bounce off you guys. what if you build some thing like @HappyHonda did here but put a thin light weight floor on it too and extended it out past the tailgate? this way the weight of your load helps off set the extension. this way you can haul even more (with in reason) I hope I relayed my thoughts in a readable manner here. IF not ill blame the bottle and try again!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You could make it longer. You could make it so that it fits perfectly inside the bed when reversed. Then when you turn it around it hangs out an extra foot or more.

Reactions: Martinezpj90
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
I have a couple pretty clever ideas for strapping it down but first; I'm snorkeling my pioneer, putting in a UNI air filter, and making my own 1/2 windshield before I play around with the bed extender (it works for now so it can wait!). Can't wait to see what some of you guys come up with, I posted a video of how I used bungee cords on the facebook group @Gator but I can post it on here too. I think you're on to something @bobbyhill !

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You guys made me start building my bed extender,i like steel though.

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
What about EMT conduit and a pipe bender?

HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
I don't see why that wouldn't work @OutdoorEd I just did it with pvc because its cheap, easy to use, and if glued together correctly it's plenty durable for a bed extender. Anyone have the actual Honda bed extender?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've got the Honda model. I don't have a pic of it right now though.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!