BOX1

P700 How do I make more power at overhaul time!

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Purchasing a used 2014 700-4 with lots of accessories that mechanic says needs an engine overhaul. Motor runs and sounds good to me with plenty of acceleration and no smoke at operating temps. They say it uses to much oil and it had been run very low on oil at one time.....any way if I decide to build the motor, I want to do it right and make more power with piston, valves, cam...etc. Can't find much about performance engine builds or parts for these motors.

Where do I purchase performance engine parts?
Mechanic says installing wrong pipe can make engine loose power.

I love the turbo idea but that might cost a lot...but it may be my only option and I could install a lower compression piston during build to get more boost with out detonating the engine to pieces! Which turbo should I use? Where can I buy a good quality forged piston?

Any ideas/thoughts would be good!

BobsPioneer

BobsPioneer

Sep 28, 2015
Purchasing a used 2014 700-4 with lots of accessories that mechanic says needs an engine overhaul. Motor runs and sounds good to me with plenty of acceleration and no smoke at operating temps. They say it uses to much oil and it had been run very low on oil at one time.....any way if I decide to build the motor, I want to do it right and make more power with piston, valves, cam...etc. Can't find much about performance engine builds or parts for these motors.

Where do I purchase performance engine parts?
Mechanic says installing wrong pipe can make engine loose power.

I love the turbo idea but that might cost a lot...but it may be my only option and I could install a lower compression piston during build to get more boost with out detonating the engine to pieces! Which turbo should I use? Where can I buy a good quality forged piston?

Any ideas/thoughts would be good!
Highlifter has some power goodies

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where is the oil going then...??no smoke and runs good. means leave engine alone and get new mechanic.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Where is the oil going then...??no smoke and runs good. means leave engine alone and get new mechanic.
Yea I know and it is a mystery where the oil is going until I take the top apart and inspect.. But it is definitely is not leaking out.
I know engines and this motor is definitely using oil. No visible smoke and no leaks. I have seen this before usually rings had not seated for whatever reason. I had similar issue to my XR600 when I installed a big bore kit and ran synthetic oil. Rings never seated. Honed cylinder and ran regular oil and no oil usage. SO I am going to tear the P7 down and investigate this winter. My mechanic is a top notch Honda Technician and I trust him explicitly. When I can't get the job done myself...he has always come through and has mostly been right! LOL!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Throw that high lifter big bore kit on there, Dobeck fuel controller, k&n intake, and yoshimura pipe and you'd have a nice little hotrod! If that's not enough then you are probably looking at a turbo.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Throw that high lifter big bore kit on there, Dobeck fuel controller, k&n intake, and yoshimura pipe and you'd have a nice little hotrod! If that's not enough then you are probably looking at a turbo.
Looking into that right now! Do the air filter mod, Big Bore Kit, polish the ports and match up exhaust port with header, Dobeck Fuel Controller and wha-la, more power. I wonder if I can use my Arlen Ness Fuel Controller off my Victory King Pin...hmmmmm. I'll look into that too.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
@Vato, what ever became of this? Any news?
All I did was polish already high quality head ports and match exhaust port to new Yoshimura Pipe and a Uni Filter (similar to stock filter). I found nothing available for the Pioneer 700 like cams, pistons...nothing.
I have considered a turbo but I am not familiar with them and fuel controllers and oxy sensors, gauges and the list keeps on growing.......... but as my buddy always said, "no time like the present to learn!! SO, I am self educating and thinking maybe, just maybe a turbo might make it's way onto the P700.

Reactions: dale5740 and Tflynn
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All I did was polish already high quality head ports and match exhaust port to new Yoshimura Pipe and a Uni Filter (similar to stock filter). I found nothing available for the Pioneer 700 like cams, pistons...nothing.
I have considered a turbo but I am not familiar with them and fuel controllers and oxy sensors, gauges and the list keeps on growing.......... but as my buddy always said, "no time like the present to learn!! SO, I am self educating and thinking maybe, just maybe a turbo might make it's way onto the P700.

I thought highlighter had high compression pistons and a better cam for the P700.

I'll look into it some more.

Reactions: Tflynn
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can't remember where i saw that now. It's somewhere.....

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can't remember where i saw that now. It's somewhere.....
You're right I thought it was high lifter too. May have to search for the Rincon instead of the pioneer? Just thinking since its been around longer but is essentially the same engine you may have better luck. I'll look around in a little bit.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
All I could find from high lifter was this-

Piston and Ring Kit (Big Bore 715) for Honda Rincon 650/680, Big Red 700, Pioneer 700 (See Apps)

Big bore kit with high compression piston. If someone could guarantee long term reliability on this I'd dig out the credit card right now!
Been there done that on my Honda XR650. High compression piston = high octane fuel....not pump Premium...racing fuel at about 5 bucks a gallon.
Turbo is the way to go me thinks. Still learning about turbos.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm sure you have read @spifyd's write up on his turbo install. I wish someone would make a kit!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Been there done that on my Honda XR650. High compression piston = high octane fuel....not pump Premium...racing fuel at about 5 bucks a gallon.
Turbo is the way to go me thinks. Still learning about turbos.
Ive been there done that with the turbos's hardiest part is tuning them when u pu together your own system etc. If u can buy a package deal with something that meets your requirements and tune up ready to go DO IT

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
GO WITH A TURBO!!! stock pistons stock everything!!! just cause u have a turbo doesn't mean u need turbo pistons.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
If you have the pipe you should also get the programmer. Dobeck one. That's the few power mod i'm going to do. HMF pipe and programmer,, uni filter

Last edited:
Reactions: Tflynn
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

Yeah, these are notorious for giving a different reading on the dipstick every time you pull it out. Wonder if that's where his oil is going?

Reactions: bobbyhill
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Yeah, these are notorious for giving a different reading on the dipstick every time you pull it out. Wonder if that's where his oil is going?
all he needs to do is scope in the spark plug hole with camera or check spark plug to see if oil soaked it will tell the story! If he knows its not leaking onto the ground and can't tell if its being burnt the cylinder will tell!

Reactions: Farmer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!