How is 700 in high altitude?

T

Tredan

Mar 29, 2015
Is the pioneer a good machine at high altitude? 6000-10000 feet. Is where it would spend most of the time. I'm not a speed demon. But losing power on a steep hill is not good where we ride. Hate my fricken commander, too loud, and always having issues. Would love some positive input on wether keep can am or go back to honda.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I live at about 6000 feet and also ride at higher elevations and have only had one very steep long hill stop me. No big deal really because their is always another way around. I did add a yoshimura exhaust and a k&n filter which did help a lot but if you don't like the noise then the pipe would not be for you. If you will be climbing steep hills often then I would say the pioneer is probably not for you because steep hills are the pioneers weakness at high altitude.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
you can take the pioneer to the dealer and have the ecu remapped for different altitudes so dont let that stop you from buying one they are great machines

Reactions: Elkhunter
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
bigc said:
you can take the pioneer to the dealer and have the ecu remapped for different altitudes so dont let that stop you from buying one they are great machines

I did not know this I am going to have to look into it.

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
I recommend the HMF swamp series exhaust. The non-xl. Its is not that much louder than stock. Has a deeper tone and is about the same noise at low to mid rpms compared to the stock exhaust. I did notice an increase in power but its only a 680cc motor on a 1300 plus pound machine. It has done everything I've asked of it but I do wish it had either more power or a transfer case for real steep climbs.

T

Tredan

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks for the info gang. Another way around or or different route would suit me over over my noisy damn can am. Does anyone know if the Pioneer is as quiet as the polaris ranger 900? Got a buddy with one and it's noise level is just fine, just don't want a polaris and can not get any seat time in a pioneer around here they're selling as soon the dealer gets em. Again thanks guys.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
wyo700 said:
bigc said:

I did not know this I am going to have to look into it.
Is this true? Have you done it? Shouldn't the efi automatically adjust for different altitudes? I would like more info on this if anyone has any.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the 2013 and 2014 models don't have an O2 sensor so they can't self adjust for altitude. They added sensors and dual spark plugs for the 2015 YM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
You may be right. Ill have to check my 2014 but if memory serves me correctly it does not have an O2 sensor. I believe the 2015s do though

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Called my dealer this morning and they are looking into it for me. They were not aware of being able to do this.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
From everything I have seen and read there is nothing out there that can fix it. Honda dropped the ball on the high elevation issue was a huge oversight. Needs a low range. Only thing that would help is exhaust and programmer maybe that will give you some more HP. I'm wondering did they even test it at high elevation in the R&D stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
wyo700 said:
Called my dealer this morning and they are looking into it for me. They were not aware of being able to do this.
Great, keep us posted

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
the map sensor is what controls altitude. the Rincon is advertised to compensate to 12000 feet. im Shure the pioneer uses the same map sensor and mapping. I have had mine at 9600 feet its not fast at that altitude but neither was the t-rex in front of me.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seems a little thin to me! the Air i mean!

Glenn

Glenn

May 10, 2015
Littleton Colorado
today outside Woodland Park Co ... Not a problem ... Next week Georgetown

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Glenn !!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!