P700 Is anyone using automotive tires?

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
Hey guys. I'll get right to the chase, 90% of my utv use will be in a private community or gravel roads traveling from field to the maintenance garage on my farm.
Do any of you use a automotive style tire? I was looking at buying a 14" rim and fitting some cheap car tires on them.
I was worried about having too much traction and breaking an axle, or worse, while turning in a driveway.

Screenshot 2016 02 07 10 54 45

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, my tires are about as far from automotive as you can get. However, there are some DOT approved radial utv tires that might do the trick for you and possibly spare the expense of new wheels. Their tread pattern is not at all aggressive but would be a little better than car tires for that other %10 of the time when you're off-road, yet still ride smooth and quiet the rest of the time.

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
......there are some DOT approved radial utv tires that might do the trick for you and possibly spare the expense of new wheels. Their tread pattern is not at all aggressive but would be a little better than car tires for that other %10 of the time when you're off-road, yet still ride smooth and quiet the rest of the time.
What tires would those be? I have some wheels picked out. 14x7

ITP SS316

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
After hunting around a bit, I don't think you'll beat the price you show above on utv tires. And to answer the other part of your question, I don't see how they could hurt anything, I wouldn't worry on that at all. Shoot there's a video out there on YouTube of a guy doing donuts on pavement in a pioneer! I think you'll be fine!

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I'm worried about putting more stress on the inner axle when I turn around, donuts are no biggie when both tires lose traction. I just don't wanna break one then Honda not covering it

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I'm going to have to chime in on these D.O.T approved Kanati Mongrel Tire. There working well for me on dirt, blacktop, rocks just a good all around tire.

Buurma

Buurma

Jan 22, 2016
Northcoast
I learned some things about tires and sizing today....
The 205 70 14 would be the right height and width for the front. But. I would need to find a 255/55/14 for the rear to be a 10 " wide tire.
Metric tire sizes are confusing.
Looks like I'm going to try to find a cheaper hard pack tread tire.
Really looking at maxxis bighorn tho.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!