P1000 Is this a good deal?

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
So I'm just about there with my purchase of the 1000-3 eps. The dealer is charging $1,200 for freight and PDI and all the levies and documentation. He is taking $300 off the list price and if I buy the winch and control plate for the dash he will install for free. He said it takes his guys about 5 hours to do.

There is another dealer 2.5 hours away but he said he has no movement on the list and his other charges are $1,500. The Canadian market is so small that Honda doesn't deal. An example- for last years p500 they are only reducing the price by $500.

Anyway just wanted to see what you guys thought about the deal being offered.

Thanks

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
We just purchased a 5 and got it for 19499, plus the accessories and the labour to install them. I had checked at two other fairly close dealers and they basically just quoted list price, and included freight and PDI. Compared to the other offers we got about 2 grand off. I found it to be REALLY frustrating getting pricing. I asked the other two dealers and one took over a week to give me pricing and the other I had to call three times, and we had already bought by the time he got back to us! (their price sucked anyway...and even if it had been better...could you rely on them?)
Alberta certainly is going through some really tough times right now, but you sure couldn't tell by our buying experience! Not sure if that helped, but you could try the used car salesman trick of going to each one and telling him the other is beating his price but you really want to buy from him....

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
We just purchased a 5 and got it for 19499, plus the accessories and the labour to install them. I had checked at two other fairly close dealers and they basically just quoted list price, and included freight and PDI. Compared to the other offers we got about 2 grand off. I found it to be REALLY frustrating getting pricing. I asked the other two dealers and one took over a week to give me pricing and the other I had to call three times, and we had already bought by the time he got back to us! (their price sucked anyway...and even if it had been better...could you rely on them?)
Alberta certainly is going through some really tough times right now, but you sure couldn't tell by our buying experience! Not sure if that helped, but you could try the used car salesman trick of going to each one and telling him the other is beating his price but you really want to buy from him....
Thanks for the response. Can I ask what dealership you went to? I don't mind driving for a day to save big.

Thanks

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Rocky Mountain Honda, here in Calgary..ask for Todd!
Thanks. I gave them a call, they have a $1000 credit towards all accessories for any units purchased this weekend due to the boat and atv show. They are the biggest Honda dealer in Canada apparently.

Other than the deal for this weekend there is not really any other discounts. He is going to take a look at what he can do for me though. Thanks for the help!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I think I got the first silver in Canada so they didn't move on the price but got 20% off accessories.
At least I got the satisfaction of posting pictures of silver on this site months before any were available in the US - LOL.

They don't seem very willing to deal in the west. I see the same machines on the lot every time I've been there but they don't seem eager to deal. I would try to get your local guy to match the Rocky Mountain price - assuming you're interested in accessories. You could get half a driver's door with that $1000.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
By the way, you can save yourself a lot of $$$ by buying a different winch and installing yourself. That honda winch / install kit is crazy expensive.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
By the way, you can save yourself a lot of $$$ by buying a different winch and installing yourself. That honda winch / install kit is crazy expensive.
Absolutely correct! The local dealer here sells the KFI winch plate kit for 121, and I can get the Super terra 45 with steel cable from Princess Auto for 371, I have been waiting for it to come on sale, but no joy yet! Any cheaper Canadian prices? On a related note, anyone know where to get the Odyssey PC925 for a decent price? One place here is saying 370 or so!

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I think I got the first silver in Canada so they didn't move on the price but got 20% off accessories.
At least I got the satisfaction of posting pictures of silver on this site months before any were available in the US - LOL.

They don't seem very willing to deal in the west. I see the same machines on the lot every time I've been there but they don't seem eager to deal. I would try to get your local guy to match the Rocky Mountain price - assuming you're interested in accessories. You could get half a driver's door with that $1000.
Too funny! It's pretty disappointing when you see how the guys in the states can get skookum deals, but that's what happens when we have a 10th of the population.

They were going to take my bike on trade but because things have slowed down they don't want to buy in trades just now. Pretty bummed about it, the sales clerk was surprised but said his boss calls the shots with the trades. They have offered to sell my bike at the dealership and they will take a couple of hundred as commission. This actually works out better for me because I was willing to trade at $1000 less than it was worth due to the tax savings but this way they can still apply it as a trade so whatever it sells for will save me the 12% tax against the pioneer. I am still advertising privately so it's a win win, he said he probably won't take any money for selling it. So it's back to the waiting game, the bike will go and it's priced right so as soon opefully just a couple of weeks.

Part of the deal is that all accessories will be 15% off at the time of purchase and then 10% of for a year on anything in the store.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I did look into the winch kit but to be honest the warn winch is almost the same price on Amazon.ca as it is from the dealer. The fact that they can install for free was a bonus plus once the switch plate and harness is installed all future electrical add ones would be easier. I have always installed my own winches but after reading the time it takes and if the technicians take hours to do it then I would be even longer. My job allows me to work as many hours as I want day and night so it's cheaper for me to work for the time it would take to do the install and pay for the install to be done professionally. The fact that the install is free allows me to put that extra cash towards the winch. I have mostly had Warn winches in the past so I would pay the extra. Nothing against other makes and I have has superwinch before, they are good and the price is right.

As far as other accessories I'm good with the winch just now. I will get some skid plates, lights and a windshield later in the year but I'm pretty good with the minamilist approach. Maybe it will change once I get one.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Absolutely correct! The local dealer here sells the KFI winch plate kit for 121, and I can get the Super terra 45 with steel cable from Princess Auto for 371, I have been waiting for it to come on sale, but no joy yet! Any cheaper Canadian prices? On a related note, anyone know where to get the Odyssey PC925 for a decent price? One place here is saying 370 or so!
That winch will go on sale soon they do so every 3 months or so. As for the battery, check out Amazon.ca, they have them from other sellers for $205 Saskbattery.com.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Too funny! It's pretty disappointing when you see how the guys in the states can get skookum deals, but that's what happens when we have a 10th of the population.

They were going to take my bike on trade but because things have slowed down they don't want to buy in trades just now. Pretty bummed about it, the sales clerk was surprised but said his boss calls the shots with the trades. They have offered to sell my bike at the dealership and they will take a couple of hundred as commission. This actually works out better for me because I was willing to trade at $1000 less than it was worth due to the tax savings but this way they can still apply it as a trade so whatever it sells for will save me the 12% tax against the pioneer. I am still advertising privately so it's a win win, he said he probably won't take any money for selling it. So it's back to the waiting game, the bike will go and it's priced right so as soon opefully just a couple of weeks.

Part of the deal is that all accessories will be 15% off at the time of purchase and then 10% of for a year on anything in the store.
What bike are you selling and how much? I am not interested, but someone on here might be!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
That winch will go on sale soon they do so every 3 months or so. As for the battery, check out Amazon.ca, they have them from other sellers for $205 Saskbattery.com.
I had my local battery store bring one in for $230 CAD. Not a great deal but as good as anything online for Canadian delivery. Turns out he has lots of bits and pieces I needed for electric work on the pioneer. Good relationship now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!