learning the balance and roll of the P4

J

JohnnyUtah

May 16, 2014
I went for a great ride this weekend to an abandoned mine shaft in the canyons from my home. It was my first time on a steep trail (elevation 8500 ft) with multiple sharp switchbacks. It is fun but strange learning a new machine like my P4 and learning what is a normal lean and what is at some point is going to flip me on the side. At some points during my ride on the switchbacks and with a tire in the air, I was nervous to keep moving forward ...afraid it might roll.....I(it is only a week old).

I look forward to getting a better feel for what it can handle, where the roll tolerance is, and what and what I should not climb with children in the back seats. I have seen some videos posted much more extreme than what I was on, but learning a new machine and the feel it has, will take a little time.

Share some pics and or videos of what you have seen these P4s do.

Thanks.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
The pioneer is my first SxS if takes time to learn it. You will learn over time what to do and not do. That's really the only way to learn just try new things with it. I have turned mine over on a deep rut. It will do a lot more than i ever thought it would.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The diff lock saved my butt this weekend on a sharp turn thru a wash out. go slow and crawl so you have a chance to back off if she leans too much

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
4130 9a6d47f6ea3546ff56a9d6812463e8d3

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's hard to tell in this pic but driver’s rear tire was off the ground ALOT! LOL I came around this corner moving at along ok speed and I got on the brakes and it thru us forward and bounced back. We just teetered back and forth. After I was finished cleaning the crap out of my pants, it was kind of fun to lean one way and then the other.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
It's hard to tell in this pic but driver’s rear tire was off the ground ALOT! LOL I came around this corner moving at along ok speed and I got on the brakes and it thru us forward and bounced back. We just teetered back and forth. After I was finished cleaning the crap out of my pants, it was kind of fun to lean one way and then the other.
bobby do you still have your swaybar?

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes I thought about disconnecting it but decided that I would leave it on because so far I haven’t found a place I can’t go.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The ride is much better in my opinion. I don't plan on hooking mine back up. I actually may remove the bar completely for weight savings. It's now zip tied up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FYI for anyone considering this mod.

After many more miles of the sway bar being disconnected, I fully removed it today. Even with 3" lift and 28" tires it feels good. It rides better and climbs rutted hills better now too.

Joe

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I noticed the same thing. Don't need 4 wheel lock near as much because all tires stay on the ground much better with sway bar removed

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!