BOX1

P500 More horse power

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
While I agree with your sentimentality on HP, I'm not sure the P500 needs more. I have been very impressed with mine. I've overloaded it, put it on steep, twisting, loose trails, and have never been short on power. When looking at specs, and comparing HP ratings with other 50" machines, you would think that the P500 would be lacking. This is not the case, and I believe that I know why. It doesn't matter how much HP you have, if you can't get it to the ground, it's useless. The low gearing, and power-to-weight ratio of the P500 is very efficient. Every bit of HP is transferred to the ground. CVT machines rely on "rim speed" to operate to potential. However, due to wheel spin and belt slippage, it is not a very efficient transfer of power. They have to have higher HP numbers, as a percentage of power is "wasted". It is kind of like a diesel motor versus a gasoline motor in a truck. Gas motors have more HP and higher optimum RPM ranges, while diesels have more torque and lower optimum RPM ranges. If you want to run fast, you go with gasoline, if you want to pull a load, you buy a diesel. I'm sure that a judicious upgrade in HP would appeal to many P500 owners, but if it resulted in "wheel spin" or loss of "contact torque" it would become a wasted effort. Honda did a really good job on finding a balance between the two on this machine. I'm an uncontrollable tinkerer, and an old drag racer, but I don't see any reason to mess with the drivetrain on mine.

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
While I agree with your sentimentality on HP, I'm not sure the P500 needs more. I have been very impressed with mine. I've overloaded it, put it on steep, twisting, loose trails, and have never been short on power. When looking at specs, and comparing HP ratings with other 50" machines, you would think that the P500 would be lacking. This is not the case, and I believe that I know why. It doesn't matter how much HP you have, if you can't get it to the ground, it's useless. The low gearing, and power-to-weight ratio of the P500 is very efficient. Every bit of HP is transferred to the ground. CVT machines rely on "rim speed" to operate to potential. However, due to wheel spin and belt slippage, it is not a very efficient transfer of power. They have to have higher HP numbers, as a percentage of power is "wasted". It is kind of like a diesel motor versus a gasoline motor in a truck. Gas motors have more HP and higher optimum RPM ranges, while diesels have more torque and lower optimum RPM ranges. If you want to run fast, you go with gasoline, if you want to pull a load, you buy a diesel. I'm sure that a judicious upgrade in HP would appeal to many P500 owners, but if it resulted in "wheel spin" or loss of "contact torque" it would become a wasted effort. Honda did a really good job on finding a balance between the two on this machine. I'm an uncontrollable tinkerer, and an old drag racer, but I don't see any reason to mess with the drivetrain on mine.
well said p500fan....i have never had a lack of horse power....it pulls every hill i go up.... now i would like a little more top end speed but that has never been a issue on the trails.... i never get left behind in the trail.... shoot most of them i ride with are trying to keep up with me.... now on the dirt roads i do get left behind but we dont ride dirt roads often....

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
well said p500fan....i have never had a lack of horse power....it pulls every hill i go up.... now i would like a little more top end speed but that has never been a issue on the trails.... i never get left behind in the trail.... shoot most of them i ride with are trying to keep up with me.... now on the dirt roads i do get left behind but we dont ride dirt roads often....
Thanks! I bought mine for hunting in the mountains, and transportation around town. (We only have about 8 miles of streets/roads.) I have no reason to go fast (above 40mph), but I want to haul me & my equipment to some remote areas. I wanted true engine braking, control of groundspeed, and the ability to traverse existing trails. The P500 fit these requirements perfectly.

C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
I'd have to disagree with your thoughts about CVT machines needing more horsepower because of belt slippage. I've had many machines with a CVT and can wholeheartedly assure you there is no belt slippage if everything is in good shape. Some Honda fans like to talk about CVT's always burning/smoking belts, which makes me think none of them have ever owned one. Are CVT systems perfect? No. However, I can go up the steepest incline I dare climb on my RZR - no smell of belt, ever.

I think the P500 is a cool little machine and might end up with one some day, but this garbage about how belts are terrible and always smoking, burning and breaking drives me crazy. Its not true at all. If repeating falsehoods about other machines makes you feel better about the p500, carry on.

Reactions: Shaggy
mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I'd have to disagree with your thoughts about CVT machines needing more horsepower because of belt slippage. I've had many machines with a CVT and can wholeheartedly assure you there is no belt slippage if everything is in good shape. Some Honda fans like to talk about CVT's always burning/smoking belts, which makes me think none of them have ever owned one. Are CVT systems perfect? No. However, I can go up the steepest incline I dare climb on my RZR - no smell of belt, ever.

I think the P500 is a cool little machine and might end up with one some day, but this garbage about how belts are terrible and always smoking, burning and breaking drives me crazy. Its not true at all. If repeating falsehoods about other machines makes you feel better about the p500, carry on.
wow.... easy big fellow...... we are just saying we like gears and not belts.... im sure they are all nice rides but we are on the honda pioneer 500 web site....

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK

I was talking more about the difference between HP and torque, and the different applications of power. CVT drives are nothing but variable speed pulleys. While proper adjustment can minimalize slippage, ALL belts slip on variable speed pulleys. This is true in UTVs, machining equipment, etc. There has to be slippage for the pulleys to expand or contract. This is part of their design, not me "repeating falsehoods". If you are so defensive of my explanation of a mechanical principle, you either do not understand the concept, or have some insecurity issues. Sorry if this offends you, but I made no mention of "burning belts", nor did I mention any other brand. I certainly did not demean the RZR, nor the owners of them. If you want an example of overtly emotional "garbage", just re-read your reply.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I will agree with the belt debate to a point..I have had Yamaha's, Suzuki's. and Polaris belt systems...never changed a belt on any except the Polaris (RZR)...nothing like having a belt system you have to baby..went from that RZR to the 500 and have NEVER looked back (unless they are following me :) )

Reactions: p500fan
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Im with you 100% i dont care about top end hp but i WANT! !!!! More low end torque i want to rip the rearend side ways starting in 2nd gear lol and once hmf finishes their p5 build im positive it will lol the p5 intake and exhaust are about 3 miles to long lol

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Blows my mind and i cant figure out why they have that HUGE dip right in the middle of the exhaust pipe

Reactions: JACKAL
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I understand alonger head pipe at the correct size will increase lowend torque but then to choke it out with a car and massive muffer :confused: damn epa!!!!!!

Reactions: Moose308
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015

Classic, you can't win on this forum by preaching the truth. You might as well forget it.

C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
Classic, you can't win on this forum by preaching the truth. You might as well forget it.
It seems you are correct. No drinks allowed in this forum besides 100% Honda kool-aid.

Reactions: ByronM
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
It seems you are correct. No drinks allowed in this forum besides 100% Honda kool-aid.

Here is my two cents. We are all here to talk about our Hondas or ask questions about new Hondas coming out (research). Finding out what works and what doesn’t. At the soul of this Club is a group of people that just love to get out and ride and have fun and at night be able to share our good and bad experiences. Just like you have the right to Share your good experiences with whatever brand, the other people have a right to share their good and bad experiences regardless of Brand. I don’t think it is a matter of “Kool-aid” I think that people that ride a product and have continued success with it, may have a tendency to join a forum with the same name as the brand they ride. And for that reason you may find a majority of our group here that has an abundants of good experiences because they have found what works for them.
I have a Pioneer 700-4 and a Polaris ranger 500. I have not had belt problems with the 500 because I don’t drive it in harsh conditions. I gave it to my dad to haul fire wood at a hunting camp down south because I knew that it would not hold up to the conditions that I needed to withstand here in Alaska. Every other belt driven ATV I have had in Alaska, failed. That’s why I bought the 700-4! That was a hard decision for me because I was a Polaris “kool-aid drinker”! But Now I won’t go back! That will make all my buying decisions easier in the future!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Blows my mind and i cant figure out why they have that HUGE dip right in the middle of the exhaust pipe

Maybe the dip is where the Kool Aid is kept. :rolleyes:

Seriously though without going into a lengthy scientific engineering diatribe, the header needs to be a certain length to provide the correct backpressure combined with the muffler as designed for the factory tuning. When a machine is only so long and the engine is near the back they have to snake the pipe around to get the appropriate length. Kind of the opposite of the intake where if you could get "clean" cold air a short velocity stack with no air filter is optimal (not for anything off a dragstrip though) for the least amount of restriction on the intake, the exhaust is the opposite to a degree, while you want it to flow freely you simply would not put a muffler on a 6" header pipe straight out the back of a reverse flow head.

Reactions: p500fan
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!