P500 Old trailer tires

S

Sledge

Not really a P5 issue, but I had two blowouts on my dual-axle cargo trailer during my just-ended 2200 mile vacation. Many, if not most of us haul our P5s on trailers, I reckon.

The trailer is 10 years old, and I probably don't have 20k miles on it. Tread depth was excellent, and my frugal nature would not permit me to replace the apparently serviceable tires.

WRONG! I'm now a believer in replacing tires due to age, regardless of tread depth. After the second blowout, and still 500 miles from home, I put a new set of 4 on this morning.

Trailer tires are inexpensive. 4 8-ply 225/75/15s were <$400. (It costs me $1500 to re-shoe my truck).

I won't make that mistake again. In 5 years, my trailer gets new tires, regardless of remaining tread.

Joe

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
two weeks ago I had to go recue a friend because of a blowout on his boat trailer. Same thing. The 10 year old tires looked perfect. We lost a second tire on the way home.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe that putting a cover on the tires when the trailer isn't being used would be helpful...Something to block UV rays. Might help a bit, but if they are old they should still be replaced. Sucks you had to deal with that on your trip... Safe travels Joe

Reactions: Sledge
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sorry about your luck. I've always heard replace them after 5 years even if they've been parked the whole time. I would bet 99% of trailer tires age out before they wear out. Jeez now I'm thinking I have two dual axle trailers that need tires $$$$$

Reactions: Sledge
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Not really a P5 issue, but I had two blowouts on my dual-axle cargo trailer during my just-ended 2200 mile vacation. Many, if not most of us haul our P5s on trailers, I reckon.

The trailer is 10 years old, and I probably don't have 20k miles on it. Tread depth was excellent, and my frugal nature would not permit me to replace the apparently serviceable tires.

WRONG! I'm now a believer in replacing tires due to age, regardless of tread depth. After the second blowout, and still 500 miles from home, I put a new set of 4 on this morning.

Trailer tires are inexpensive. 4 8-ply 225/75/15s were <$400. (It costs me $1500 to re-shoe my truck).

I won't make that mistake again. In 5 years, my trailer gets new tires, regardless of remaining tread.

Joe
Many people look at the tread and see there is plenty but do not examine the side walls for weather checking which is a guaranteed blow-out.

Alan

S

Sledge

Thanks for the kind concern, but neither blowout was a big deal, actually. Annoying at worst.

The first, on the way to Colorado, was likely blown 100 miles before I knew it, judging from the look of the carcass. More steel than rubber. It was on the passenger side, which may be why I didn't notice.

God bless dual axles. The amount of weight I typically haul could easily be handled by a single axle, but it won't be on my watch.

I had a spare, and drove 1400 uneventful miles before the second blew halfway home. Driver side, I felt and heard that one go, and stopped and evaluated the situation.

Given the previous experience, and the fact that I was on a shoulderless road, no spare, and only 5 miles from the next town, I just drove on in.

It was 0645, and I caught a guy going into the Cenex COOP store, and he said they opened at 0700.

I was back on the road at 0830, wallet $380 lighter, but with a relieved heart worth much more than that.

Oh, and I went from 205/75/15s to 225/75/15s. About 2" taller, and over 1" wider.

I like big tires. On everything.

Joe

Reactions: Tflynn
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Many people look at the tread and see there is plenty but do not examine the side walls for weather checking which is a guaranteed blow-out.

Alan
Try to protect from UV rays, I keep mine under the lean to.
Keep them up out of the dirt, that's the mistake I made. Parked on PT 2x10's now.
Always have a spare ready.

Reactions: Montecresto
S

Sledge

UV? Parked on dirt? Sitting still too long?

Or just unavoidable deterioration over time, as the manufacturers say?

Hell, I don't know, and y'all probably don't either, but I know that rubber just dries out over time.

5 years from now, these new tires will have cost me a little over $6 a month. For all 4.

They will have served well, and will be retired then.

Joe

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana

Joe
I buy a shipload of tires for work. I mean a lot! I have really good support in the tire department.
My tire guy says the same, 5 years max, doesn't matter what they look like. I went thru same thing as you and I am on the 5 year plan now for sure.

R

Rustell

IMG 20160707 123057062 This happened to us just last week.. We arrived at the Pine Mountain Rally only to discover we had blown a tire..didn't feel it, didn't hear it. Good fortune prevaled as the only repair shop in this town of 500 people had 4 new tires for me.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
UV? Parked on dirt? Sitting still too long?

Or just unavoidable deterioration over time, as the manufacturers say?

Hell, I don't know, and y'all probably don't either, but I know that rubber just dries out over time.

5 years from now, these new tires will have cost me a little over $6 a month. For all 4.

They will have served well, and will be retired then.

Joe
Sun rot

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I believe that putting a cover on the tires when the trailer isn't being used would be helpful...Something to block UV rays. Might help a bit, but if they are old they should still be replaced. Sucks you had to deal with that on your trip... Safe travels Joe
Yeah...
but you still get the
heat...
I do mine every 4
years...
sucks to ruin a camping
trip...with a flat

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!