P1000 P1000-5 or Deluxe, buy now or wait until Friday?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a P1000.

Is the Deluxe model worth $800 more than the 1000-5?

I see that you get:

-14" Aluminum Wheels
-Radial tire
-LED Lights
-Colored Door/Bed panels

I don't care about the lights or the panels but I do like the wheels and tires. I don't think that they are worth the $800 increase though.

Am I missing anything?

Also, should I wait and see what, if any deals Honda might throw out on July 1st?

My only concern is that if I wait too long, it will be like the Wolverine that I couldn't buy because they were out of stock. I am pretty certain that the 2017 Pioneers will be quite a bit more expensive than the current stock 2016s.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
IMO the lights are way better with the LED's. The Bighorn tires are pretty nice too.

You could always get a non-deluxe and put a light bar and some aftermarket tires on the steel wheels.

Tough call but I'd say go Deluxe.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wheels tires are definitely better. If you leave the headlights alone then yes led is nice(I prefer switching the halos to hid though) the colored panels look good and are cheap to replace if necessary but is all preference. The way I look at it if you're going with the premiere Honda might as well go the premiere Honda. That being said same rig.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a P1000.

Is the Deluxe model worth $800 more than the 1000-5?

I see that you get:

-14" Aluminum Wheels
-Radial tire
-LED Lights
-Colored Door/Bed panels

I don't care about the lights or the panels but I do like the wheels and tires. I don't think that they are worth the $800 increase though.

Am I missing anything?

Also, should I wait and see what, if any deals Honda might throw out on July 1st?

My only concern is that if I wait too long, it will be like the Wolverine that I couldn't buy because they were out of stock. I am pretty certain that the 2017 Pioneers will be quite a bit more expensive than the current stock 2016s.
As of 3 weeks ago, Southern Honda in Chattanooga had 142 Pioneer 1000's in stock - that's what they told me. I ride in the rocks, so I got the base because I would end up changing the wheels regardless because the stock Deluxe wheels protrude out and would inevitably get chewed up banging into rocks. Otherwise, the Deluxe would have been my choice. I couldn't justify paying more for a wheel I would toss to the side after buying it. Plus, I like knowing I can drag branches/limbs/briars all over the side of mine and not worry about scratching colored panels. The deluxe looks great, though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also if you plan on adding the upper windows the panels cover the big window mounts on the outside of the rig

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also I remember reading a post you had about the paddles being a joke...kinda for most driving yes. I thought we'd use them more but with sport and low you can really dial the machine in for you. But even in auto you can still downshift when needed and anytime you need it to hold a gear like very technical stuff,plowing,carting a jeep from the woods...priceless. It's not 100% necessary but when you want them they are incredible. I know that's more of the 3 thing and your at least right now looking at 5 but I was bringing that up.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have just about decided to do it. Still not sure about the Deluxe or not.

I have a guy coming this afternoon, supposedly, to buy my Rincon. If that happens, I think I am going to call and put my name on one tomorrow morning and pick it up this weekend.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
:) atta boy!:)

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't look at the $800 now the p1000-5 has a better resale later if you were to sell it because of the extra seats.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with sharp absolutely in resale on 1000-5 over 1000-3. The seats and bed (besides the transmission) are a big part of its popularity. On resale standard or delux it'll make a difference as well. Not saying even that either is better but down the road it could make a difference. It's hard to sell a newer car without options like ac and auto same here.If my 98 dodge were gas it'd be worth 2500 clean but Cummins it's easily 12-16 clean and that was only a 3.5k option. That would've been an oops from brand new. Sometimes it's not bad to get more then you need if you can is what I'm trying to say

Last edited:

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't look at the $800 now the p1000-5 has a better resale later if you were to sell it because of the extra seats.
Yep - there is a plethora of bench seat utility units available on the used market by many mfg's, but only one with a short wheelbase and flip up seats! Definitely a good idea to have the 5 down the road in case you opted to sell.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well. The Craigslist guy actually showed up and bought my Rincon....

So I guess I am going to be in the market now.

I hate making decisions like this!!!!!
Hey crow hunter it's not like selling a Rincon is an impressive act of God:) it's a Honda. At any rate good luck you've been at this long enough I just hope to see you happy

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey crow hunter it's not like selling a Rincon is an impressive act of God:) it's a Honda. At any rate good luck you've been at this long enough I just hope to see you happy

I consider it an act of God.:D:p

He is like the 20th person that has contacted me about it. Averages 1 a day. I usually get 1 to 3 contacts every time I post it.

The only other thing I ever sold on Craigslist was my old 1999 Silverado that had 2 flakes and the only guy that showed up bought it in less than a week for more than what I actually wanted for it. That is what I was expecting, doesn't work that way for ATVs apparently.

I have had no less than 8 people who have said they were coming to look at it that never even showed up or bothered to call and let me know they weren't coming. 4 people who have come by to "kick the tires" and ride it around and then decide not to buy it or try to buy it for WAY less than it was worth. Including one couple that didn't even know how to start one and could barely lift their leg over to be able to ride it. (I told them to buy a SXS, they didn't need my ATV)

I really honestly wasn't expecting him to buy it. I actually wasn't even expecting him to show up but if he did, I figured he would offer me half of what I was asking.

So now I have told my wife I am going to make a decision that I really wasn't 100% sure that I was ready to make. Oops.:oops:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
How far away from major city are you? Whatcha going to do I'm very curious with you

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well. The Craigslist guy actually showed up and bought my Rincon....

So I guess I am going to be in the market now.

I hate making decisions like this!!!!!
Haha, nooooo!!! You're nightmare! JK, good luck with whatever you choose. Mine has smoothed up a good bit since day 1. I literally just got the wife and 3 kids off of it to grill some wings, and she just commented on it being smoother. Loving mine more and more.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How far away from major city are you? Whatcha going to do I'm very curious with you

Define major. :)

I am about 2 hours or so away from Memphis TN. That is about the closest thing to a major city in our area.

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Honda but I have been in communication with Mudd Man from Youtube and he said he would choose the Wolverine over the Pioneer.

I still think I am going Pioneer. One because I think I can get it right now and two because my wife really seems to like it better.

I am going to call Abernathy's tomorrow and see if they have one of the Silver Deluxe models available, if they do, I will probably get it. If not, I might get a white one but I might think about it. I will also talk to my brother's friend that works there and see if they are going to be running any specials in July and also ask his opinion on it versus the Wolverine.

I would just really hate to get it and then really, really not like it at all.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Define major. :)

I am about 2 hours or so away from Memphis TN. That is about the closest thing to a major city in our area.

I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Honda but I have been in communication with Mudd Man from Youtube and he said he would choose the Wolverine over the Pioneer.

I still think I am going Pioneer. One because I think I can get it right now and two because my wife really seems to like it better.

I am going to call Abernathy's tomorrow and see if they have one of the Silver Deluxe models available, if they do, I will probably get it. If not, I might get a white one but I might think about it. I will also talk to my brother's friend that works there and see if they are going to be running any specials in July and also ask his opinion on it versus the Wolverine.

I would just really hate to get it and then really, really not like it at all.
Funny, look at how he drives and what he does with his P500... I'm amazed that ran after swallowing mud into the air box - then again it is a Honda. I equate that 500, esp after owning one, to the old Fourtrax 300's - I bet they'll last dang near forever if maintained - even slightly.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok there ya go! Thats your Craigslist problem. There are huge advantages to living out but selling crap isn't one. We get smoking deals on dirtbikes for the kids and everything else by driving an hour. A lot of the time even make money selling it later in town.
I've got my peepers on you. I think you're going to do the right thing here. We'll see.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The maintaining part that 500 mentioned is what gets my family just no time. No other vehicle is close on the radar because of this. You here stories of Polaris going 3k with no problems. Not in my fleet! Honda...different. My 700-4 2700 8 months 3 oil changes. I'll bet that number was thousands shy before anything would have been needed

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!