Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My first four wheeler was a 1986 300 Fourtracs. That one and every Honda since seem to be cold natured. My 700 is slow to start, especially is sub freezing temperatures. Honda's sound like they are not going to start but they always do.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Mine always started a lot harder than the ol foreman 450, I don't thing that thing would crank a half a turn before firing. My 700 last year would start really hard (didn't start once),but I havent had nearly the difficulties this year. I think going to a larger battery really makes a big difference, its amazing what some good cold cranking amps will do for you. The other thing I do that I read about on one of the three forums I'm a member of, is the starting technique. I put the key in,turn it right to cranking for three seconds, then shut it off. then do it again, it will usually fire with in seconds on the second attempt. i've tried starting it a bunch of different ways,but this way works the best for me.

Reactions: Mikey71
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just like @allgm1 a bigger battery is an essential in cold weather. I did alot of researching and head scratching on this and found some info on cold start problems. It sounded like the early Rincon models had a problem with starting until they put the YTX20H (18 amp/hr and 310 cca) battery in them. The theory was, when starting the starter would reduce voltage enough to disable the spark and fuel system and wouldn't allow them to work properly. I know at negative temps mine would crank and acted like there was no fuel or spark. The dash would even go out and kick the starter out. Very frustrating. I found the Canadian 700 models come with a 16 amp/hr or 240cca battery. I did some looking at the size and the YTX20H is just a little taller. So I skipped the 16, cut the divider section out of the battery and put the 20 in. It has made a world of difference. I had -23 the other day and had a heat wave that warmed up to -7. I went out and gave her a try and after 2 key cycle it took off. I don't know why honda didn't put these in to start with but if I had the stock 14 (12 amp/hr and 210cca) and lived in the cold I would junk it and put the 20 in.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Just like @allgm1 a bigger battery is an essential in cold weather. I did alot of researching and head scratching on this and found some info on cold start problems. It sounded like the early Rincon models had a problem with starting until they put the YTX20H (18 amp/hr and 310 cca) battery in them. The theory was, when starting the starter would reduce voltage enough to disable the spark and fuel system and wouldn't allow them to work properly. I know at negative temps mine would crank and acted like there was no fuel or spark. The dash would even go out and kick the starter out. Very frustrating. I found the Canadian 700 models come with a 16 amp/hr or 240cca battery. I did some looking at the size and the YTX20H is just a little taller. So I skipped the 16, cut the divider section out of the battery and put the 20 in. It has made a world of difference. I had -23 the other day and had a heat wave that warmed up to -7. I went out and gave her a try and after 2 key cycle it took off. I don't know why honda didn't put these in to start with but if I had the stock 14 (12 amp/hr and 210cca) and lived in the cold I would junk it and put the 20 in.
I replaced my battery but mine is slow turning over and when it does it sounds like it is not getting fuel or spark because of low voltage and won't start. Is this a battery problem or starter problem? Once it starts it runs great but on occasion, if I turn on the headlights it kills the motor. I wish I would have got a bigger battery but it used to start easy so I am wondering if it's a starter problem?

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I replaced my battery but mine is slow turning over and when it does it sounds like it is not getting fuel or spark because of low voltage and won't start. Is this a battery problem or starter problem? Once it starts it runs great but on occasion, if I turn on the headlights it kills the motor. I wish I would have got a bigger battery but it used to start easy so I am wondering if it's a starter problem?

Possibly a starter but if putting headlights on kills the engine, that would suggest it's not charging properly. When it's running, what's the voltage of you measure with a meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theron

Theron

Sep 30, 2013
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I can tell you the stock battery is not enough first thing in the morning at -30 to -40, cranks and sputters cranks and sputters over and over, and you keep thinking its going to go as the cranks get slower and slower and then it stops cranking all together. Enter jumper cables, cranks and sputters cranks and sputters....until final it warms up enough to fire. Starts the rest of the day without a problem, but the next morning, same routine. Probably not doing the starter or engine and favors using this method, but when your in the middle of nowhere options are limited, and those caribou aren't going to shoot themselves.

Reactions: elkaholic
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ah, that temp is hard on everything. I would convert to a full size battery and #4 cable to overcome that.

Reactions: Tflynn
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Possibly a starter but if putting headlights on kills the engine, that would suggest it's not charging properly. When it's running, what's the voltage of you measure with a meter?

Checked the voltage, 13 stopped and 14 running. Turned on the lights, died immediately. Figured it was a ground problem. Instead of just tightening this time, I took them all off including solenoid, battery, frame, and engine, cleaned them with sandpaper and tighten them. The culprit seemed to be the engine ground. Starts much better and runs with headlights on. Problem solved, I hope. Bike still runs great with over 2000 miles and 350 hours. Used on the farm daily for many tasks.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good to hear. Still at that cold temp you might want a beefier battery.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!