BOX1

Pioneer 700 vs Deere 825i, power steering

J

JDF

Aug 18, 2015
This is my first post..

I've been looking pretty hard at the Gator 825i and the Pioneer 700. Things I like about the gator are of course the power steering. The engine seems smoother, quieter, and a little more powerful. And it will carry more firewood. I can get an 825i with Power steering , roof and brush guard for the same money as the Pioneer, and Deere has better financing deals right now.

Other than power steering I like the Honda quite a bit, just because I've always owned Honda ATVs and had very little trouble with them, and resell is good for both machines I think.

As far as usage, hauling firewood out of my woods will be its main chore. We like to ride trails in the woods at our place, my wife and daughter will drive it and they don't have a lot of arm strength but never had trouble steering our lifted club car around. I won't be able to get them to go with me to test drive the Honda because its a fair drive away, but I want to make sure they'd be able to steer it around. I drove the Pioneer myself and it seemed ok but I'm used to non power steering ATVs with handle bars.

What do you guys all think about the Honda steering compared with the Gator power steering model? Have any of your kids or wives complained about the steering on the Pioneer?

Thanks!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife could drive its its 28x10-12 all the way around (5'4" 115) but it was tough in 4Lock , I added the SuperAtv EPS and we would forget it was in 4Lock.

EPS is a big benefit but you can add it to the Pioneer so don't let that push you away.

There's a link to my 700-4 build in my signature.

Last edited:
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the club @JDF !! I guess I will echo ohanacreek. I have the 700-4 and my wife handles it fine, and she was a city slicker before she met me! we also plan to buy the power steering from SuperATV just to make the 4 wheel diff lock turn little bit easier because if we get in a harry spot ill put my wife behind the wheel and I will jump out and spot! here is a link for the EZ Steer http://www.superatv.com/Honda-Pioneer-700-Power-Steering-Kit-P9783C1235.aspx

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Steering is a bit tough in 4 wheel lock without eps. However in regular 4wd or 2wd with tires properly inflated my wife is able to steer it fine. If in doubt just get the super atv power steering kit like Ohanacreek suggested. I suspect the Hondas transmission would hold up much better to your intended uses (hauling loads at low speed). It is my understanding that belt drives don't do well in that environment. Can't really speak to the John Deere because I haven't driven it, but you can't go wrong with the honda!

Reactions: HappyHonda
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
I've never driven the John Deere, but my wife hasn't said anything about the steering being an issue on our 700-4. Like Ohanacreek said, you can get EPS so I wouldn't let that push you away. Power steering aside, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Honda especially if you're already a Honda guy, you will not be disappointed and neither will the family! Welcome to the club!

J

JDF

Aug 18, 2015
I've never driven the John Deere, but my wife hasn't said anything about the steering being an issue on our 700-4. Like Ohanacreek said, you can get EPS so I wouldn't let that push you away. Power steering aside, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Honda especially if you're already a Honda guy, you will not be disappointed and neither will the family! Welcome to the club!

Well I'm also a Deere guy. I have always loved all my Deere equipment, although never had a gator. I like the smoothness of the 825i ride. I also like the Deere dealer that I've been talking to. The local Honda dealer seems like they don't really have time for anybody that's not ready to write them a check. They also try really really hard to push the Polaris Ranger on me. They must make more money on the Ranger than they make on the Pioneer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I'm also a Deere guy. I have always loved all my Deere equipment, although never had a gator. I like the smoothness of the 825i ride. I also like the Deere dealer that I've been talking to. The local Honda dealer seems like they don't really have time for anybody that's not ready to write them a check. They also try really really hard to push the Polaris Ranger on me. They must make more money on the Ranger than they make on the Pioneer.

Dealers make money on service and accessories, there's not a LOT of wiggle on the pricing for the units.
Polaris accessories cost more and well .....SERVICE!

Reactions: Tflynn
HappyHonda

HappyHonda

May 12, 2015
No doubt that John Deere machines run great, I'll definitely second that. Thats really interesting that the same dealer sells both Polaris and Honda and is being so pushy about one over the other, my dealer only does Honda and Suzuki so they have no reason to push other sxs's because they're all Honda! If they're jerks though that would certainly make me reconsider things, but at the same time, I wouldn't let the jerks be my deciding factor because they're completely irrelevant when you're out in the trails. You really seem like you're on the fence, both reliable machines, I'd be leaning towards the Honda (in your case) only because they have a proven track record of off road vehicles. Although John Deere makes excellent equipment, they're certainly newer to the 'game' compared to Honda as far as SXS's. Maybe doing some research about what kind of problems each has will help, although you won't see much from Honda. I'm clearly being bias towards Honda, but I hope I helped a little.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow Deere is more expensive than I remembered. Spend just a bit more and you could get the Pioneer 1000 LOT more power.

"You can always do less with more, but you can never do more with less."

Reactions: Alexa and JACKAL
D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
Wow Deere is more expensive than I remembered. Spend just a bit more and you could get the Pioneer 1000 LOT more power.

I think the OP said he can get the Deere with several accessories for the same price as the p700. Isn't the p1000 significantly more than the 700?

Don't know much about the JD but they sure look good after reviewing the specs and photos. More power, better tires/wheels... just not sure of reliability. IF they were considered equal in reliability, then the JD looks to be a better value.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just comparing the prices on the web

If you're comparing pricing and stats on paper, I think Honda has the advantage. You would have to wait and see what you could get a 1000 for from a dealer. To get a real price comparison.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

X2 I would definitely go the P1000 route with EPS

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4

LMAO tell that to the United States Coast Guard!
Our motto is "We have done so much with so little for so long, that we are now attempting to do the impossible with practically Nothing!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i can compare both machines my neighbor has a camo 825i i have a pioneer actually 2 the automotive type engine has more power than the honda but the power ranges are alittle different than the honda he has had the deere for a year or so deere dealer has replaced the cvt belt 3 times the floorboard cracked apart one time the deeres sit low to the ground and are pretty bulky for tight places he likes my hondas better and they have never broke down on me yet if you just want a pure workhorse get the deere but if you plan on having fun with it and having a workhorse i would get the honda no doubt but my opinion is bias because i am honda all the way

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
i can compare both machines my neighbor has a camo 825i i have a pioneer actually 2 the automotive type engine has more power than the honda but the power ranges are alittle different than the honda he has had the deere for a year or so deere dealer has replaced the cvt belt 3 times the floorboard cracked apart one time the deeres sit low to the ground and are pretty bulky for tight places he likes my hondas better and they have never broke down on me yet if you just want a pure workhorse get the deere but if you plan on having fun with it and having a workhorse i would get the honda no doubt but my opinion is bias because i am honda all the way

Aren't them Gators rebuilt from PoPo warrantied take off parts? If the reliability description fits......

I

Interceptor

Jul 14, 2015
Although John Deere makes excellent equipment, they're certainly newer to the 'game' compared to Honda as far as SXS's.

The first John Deere SXS came out in 1987 and they have been building them continuously ever since. That's ten years before the first Polaris Ranger was even made. I'm not sure where you get the idea that they're newer to the game than Honda. Different customers maybe, but not new.

I've been through four different utility SXS in the past 5 years and a fifth one is being delivered today. I've learned a bunch about them and I'm still looking for one that I'm 100% happy with.

1. I'll never again buy one with a rubber belt CVT. I haven't owned them long enough to have durability issues, I just don't like the way they operate.

2. The Hilliard front differential used by Polaris, JD and a few others is not the same as 4X4. It has many quirks, some mildly irritating, some extremely aggravating. Be aware of it's limitations before buying a machine that uses this system.

3. The small details make a difference. Honda really overlooked the value of a single point tailgate release. It may seem like nitpicking but when you add up all the little details it makes a big difference. I can say with certainty that Honda lost a sale because my wife refuses to spend the price of a good used truck on a new UTV that has 50 cent latches on the tailgate.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
The first John Deere SXS came out in 1987 and they have been building them continuously ever since. That's ten years before the first Polaris Ranger was even made. I'm not sure where you get the idea that they're newer to the game than Honda. Different customers maybe, but not new.
I think @HappyHonda is referring to John Deere being new to the recreation sxs market. The 825i is not their first sxs for sure, but at the same time it's not really comparable to a gator either which is what I assume you're referring to. You both have valid points and those are all good things to consider.

Reactions: HappyHonda
I

Interceptor

Jul 14, 2015
I think @HappyHonda is referring to John Deere being new to the recreation sxs market. The 825i is not their first sxs for sure, but at the same time it's not really comparable to a gator either which is what I assume you're referring to. You both have valid points and those are all good things to consider.

I didn't think anyone specified utility vs recreation, in fact the OP cited utility as his main uses for the machine. The 825i (which is a Gator BTW) came out in 2010 vs Honda's start in 2009, so there's not much of a lead there either. I could also point out that the 825i is/was much more successful than the MUV700. I just think it's misleading to suggest that a Honda has an advantage because of more experience, when in reality the opposite is true. No matter how you look at it, Honda is the one playing catch up right now.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!