P700 Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Had to take the roof off to get it out of the garage as well as get it rolling, sit on the tailgate and push up on the door of the garage up at the same time as it rolled out. Tried it out in a hole in the yard, no rubbing anywhere, no cv binding and it didn't even roll over surprisingly!

14a04e99fc38c3768555f4e4036a1936
516f7aa632346743a6de566e61260272
Ca39019555bb39e1f1e2b306aa8fa39c
0527b1633726c62aae489a072e36dd44

Last edited:
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I really like the way it turned out, how you liking the ride vs stock ? My downside is I need to figure out a quick racket strap suspension drop.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I really like the way it turned out, how you liking the ride vs stock ? My downside is I need to figure out a quick racket strap suspension drop.

It's hard to judge the ride at the moment due to the snow. Everything seems smoother with snow on the ground unless that's just the improved quality of the ride

Articulation is just as good as stock as far as drop. Upward travel is slightly more stiff feeling than stock after the initial movement. Which would make sense as they are progressive rate springs. Dampening is definitely better which I tried on some frozen washboard.

Overall doing the front is a no brainer, it's quick, easy and relatively cheap. The rear takes a little more work, cost and pushed it over height to fit in the garage. I can't wait to put a load in the back and see how the progressive springs handle it. I also want to go out on some known, tested trails and see how well it performs in comparison. They are all snowmobile trails at the moment however.

Reactions: dieselmax
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Just wanted to give an update. Went for a short ride today down a local snowmobile trail, just a few miles round trip with ~450LBS between the two of us in the front seat. Had no bottoming and even my passenger noticed the ride was smoother and mentioned it asking what the difference was. I tried to bottom it with no luck.

I had set the front preload up one from lowest so there's plenty of adjustment left. The front really is a perfect bolt on adjustment with added travel, lift, better ride and no bottoming. The rear has improved significantly as well but it was a little higher cost and a lot more work to get there. Overall this was an easy mod that I highly recommend.

At the end of next summer I'll give an update as well for longevity sake.

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
That's good to know. I've got the fronts just looking for the rears now.

Reactions: green02crew
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
@green02crew curious if you think the rear limiting straps are a necessary and how did you come up with 19 " ?

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
@green02crew curious if you think the rear limiting straps are a necessary and how did you come up with 19 " ?

I came up with 19" because the arms hit at full extension which is 20". So 1" less in case of stretch just to make sure there is clearance.

I'm not actually sure if they would be needed or not. I didn't run it without something there as I did not want to risk messing up the shock bodies. It could be fine for a long time as there doesn't seem to be a ton of pressure between the arms and the body of the shock, it hits right at the end of the extension. I just wanted to be safe. I ended up making a crude looking bump stop out of 1/2" of polyurethane and some hose clamps. Better safe than sorry I guess. I bought a small sheet of the 1/2" thick polyurethane off eBay and cut it down to size with a saws all.

Again, it's crude but it works.
41169a0f269af88a83164bbe101ab5d6

The only weaknesses I foresee would be slightly accelerated wear on the cv's and the steel sleeve wearing in the rear bushings as it isn't as hard a steel as I would like and its thin. But that's an easy fix if it does wear quickly.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
green2crew - You tested and decided the stock springs worked best (as good) on the front.
Why did you decide to use the highlifter springs on back instead of stock?

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
green2crew - You tested and decided the stock springs worked best (as good) on the front.
Why did you decide to use the highlifter springs on back instead of stock?

That's correct, front springs I ended up using were the ones that came stock on the commander shocks. According to the stock pioneer spring rates and those used on the fox shocks I should've been able to go heavier but I couldn't. I tried 250LB springs and they were at full extension with the machines weight resting on them. I think part of it was going to a large, gas filled shock which helped taking some of that weight off the springs. With those springs and the preload up 1 click ~450LBs in the front seat didn't bottom it and I tried. I can't explain the entire reason why it works that way.

The stock pioneer rear springs were 260LB, stock ones on a commander are 200LB. I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible without going lower as I had my stock preload turned up all the way. I found that the highlifter springs were 260-310 progressive which fits what I was looking for perfectly. I'm sure you could go a little lighter in the back for a better ride if you wanted to such as 225LB if you don't move a ton of weight regularly or you could even try the 200LB commander ones and see how they do. The shocks I got had no springs on them so I couldn't try the stock commander ones. I do have leftover 250LB ones but don't see a reason to put them on as they are only 10LB difference which shouldn't be noticeable. The highlifter springs are the heaviest you can get for that size shock. Also, they are yellow and matched the front springs I also ended up using as those are yellow too, that's enough of a reason right there isn't it?

I measured the resting compression of the stock shock and spring combinations and seem to have matched them nearly perfectly, with my commander ones. I can't explain the anomaly going on with the spring rates in the front. I will tell you both what factory and fox say they are using is extremely heavy, heavier than what a commander uses stock for springs in the rear and that's odd as our machine weighs similarly. And when I tried 250LB springs they didn't compress at all with the weight of the machine on them. It took me sitting on the bumper for it to go down less than an inch. Think about the weight that the machine is rated for over the rear axle and think how little weight sits on the front axle in comparison, it makes sense they wouldn't need to be anywhere near as heavy as the rear springs.

I hope I answered this thoroughly.

Last edited:
rockfeller

rockfeller

Jan 31, 2016
Fl
I have a 2014 p4,with 28s,front shock spacers and the rear shocks turned up..It is ok....Afriend of mine has one too with fox shocks and I heard the price and laughed at him......But after one ride on his I cant believe the difference the fox shocks make.....It rides so smooth that Honda should be ashamed to even call their shocks dual rate..........1200 is a hard pill to swallow.But income return I am getting them.
I swallowed that pill just put the fox on and can't believe the difference. And also got another inch of height

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
I swallowed that pill just put the fox on and can't believe the difference. And also got another inch of height

That is an option and not a bad one. I was just looking for more lift, travel and to not spend 10% of the entire machine purchase price just on shocks.

Reactions: swsebek
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
You will not regret swapping the factory 700 shocks for the factory commander shocks even with stock springs. I purchased a used set and its night and day difference. Wifey road down the rd with me and noticed a difference on the pavement and has not asked what they cost us (which is very surprising) and keeps saying how much better the ride is. ^5 to green02crew for all his research and information on this swap..

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
You will not regret swapping the factory 700 shocks for the factory commander shocks even with stock springs. I purchased a used set and its night and day difference. Wifey road down the rd with me and noticed a difference on the pavement and has not asked what they cost us (which is very surprising) and keeps saying how much better the ride is. ^5 to green02crew for all his research and information on this swap..

Did you do both front and rear?

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
No I only have the fronts installed on it now. Going to install the rears once i order and replace the CanAm's rear bushings and sleeves.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Green02crew:
AWESOME write up on this viable alternative.
Are you still happy with the installation on your P700?

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
No complaints so far!
Found a set of Yellow Spring Shocks off a 2011 800 XT for a great price. Should be the ones!

Thanks again for doing all the leg work for this inexpensive alternative for some decent shocks. Your play by play write up details were very helpful.:)

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Found a set of Yellow Spring Shocks off a 2011 800 XT for a great price. Should be the ones!

Thanks again for doing all the leg work for this inexpensive alternative for some decent shocks. Your play by play write up details were very helpful.:)

Don't order the sleeves from over seas. I've been waiting since first of march and now that the sellers replied to my eBay report they say it's 4-5 weeks or better. McMaster Carr has 15mm od 12mm id 1m long seamless steel tubing part number 50295k331 it is 14.85 but shipping ups from Atlanta Georgia 3-5 days not weeks. Lol The poly bushings will have to be bored or drilled a little bit to fit the larger od tubing.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Don't order the sleeves from over seas. I've been waiting since first of march and now that the sellers replied to my eBay report they say it's 4-5 weeks or better. McMaster Carr has 15mm od 12mm id 1m long seamless steel tubing part number 50295k331 it is 14.85 but shipping ups from Atlanta Georgia 3-5 days not weeks. Lol The poly bushings will have to be bored or drilled a little bit to fit the larger od tubing.
Have you completed the shock swap?
How did you bore the poly bushing...drill it out?
Are you attending the Pioneer Takeover?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!