P700 Pioneer 700 with Can-Am Commander Shocks

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
That was my next question, what you decided to use for limiting straps. I figured 19" would work as they stretch a little but there isn't much downward pressure there I don't think. Seems to be right at the end of the stroke. I did bump stops out of 1/2 urethane and hose clamps instead of the limiting strap and longer bolts because it was cheaper and I didn't want extra strap length getting caught on branches.

I'm waiting to see someone run without any stop for a while and see what it does long term, if anything.
After the ride this weekend I believe that I will just leave my rear sway bar hooked up and I won't be installing limiting straps. The sway bar should prevent one side or the other from full droop unless both rear tires are off the ground. I have noticed that the rear end doesn't "buck" if I am jumping the way it did before mod. I really don't jump as much as I did with the stock shocks either.

Reactions: green02crew
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Installed my Can am front shocks, So far so good and performance is way better than stock.

SPIFYD liked them. We traded buggy's for a couple hour night ride. I loved his turbo, led lights and Fox shocks. His sister was cool too! He said that can am shocks were as good or better than the Fox's. Wow!

Where are you located? I have a feeling we might not be far from each other.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm also working on some Can Am OE pulloffs to swap out the factory shocks.

Reactions: green02crew
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
You will love the canam shock upgrade!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hopefully the deal will come thru, we'll see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I couldn't find any used ones worth the money on ebay. I found a couple sets on Can-An forums. Use McMaster Car for the seamless sleeves 3-5 day shipping or I've got some I'll send u. Windshield and shocks are the best upgrades yet!!!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What years and models of Commander's have the shocks that are compatible?
Just want to be sure I'm looking for the right ones.

Reactions: gokorn1
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
What years and models of Commander's have the shocks that are compatible?
Just want to be sure I'm looking for the right ones.
Page #2 of forum states 11-15 800 & 1000 XT's. Also I believe these are the factory yellow springs only so if u buy complete shocks get pictures. I have seen commanders with different shocks at a distance so I do not know if those were stocks or aftermarket. The stock CanAm springs seem to be fine all the way around so no need in buying highlifter springs. Great ride on stock CanAm stuff.

Reactions: Tramguage1
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
My local can am dealer priced me a set of fronts for $384. Might wait a bit and see if I can't find something used

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
How my rear Canam shock modification install went......

Raised and properly support the rear of the SxS
Remove rear tires
Remove sway bar A-arm mount
Remove upper A-arm bolt from spindle
Remove stock Honda shocks
Remove Canam shock bushings. I knocked them out with a hammer and punch...properly support the shocks!

Install proper sized nylon bushings and steel sleeves using supplied grease. Be careful while pressing in the steel sleeves! The last sleeve I installed was off center and destroyed the bushing. DOH!
Install Canam shocks by pushing down hard on lower A-arm to fit new longer shock into the mounts
Reassemble your SxS.

I noticed there was a gap between the lower shock eye and the mount. I figured the shock could move on the bushing between the lower shock mount. I cut spacers from 1" PVC conduit....materials on hand...a steel spacer would be better!

I am waiting for a new bushing so I can finish up this install and take it for a test ride.
Rear shock spacer

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Finished up the Can Am rear shock installation.
Just like the lower shock mount, there is a gap between the upper shock eye and the mounts. I will keep an eye on this and install spacers if the shock's eye moves on the nylon bushing...I suspect it will.

Disconnected the sway bar and wired it out of the way for testing. There is more noticeable body roll while cornering with sway bar disconnected. I have the 700-4.... maybe due to the extra weight? I adjusted the shocks several times and the roll is still definitely there and gets my attention while cornering. I will ride for a while with sway bar disconnected..... my gut tells me to put it back!

Shocks are amazing and way better than stock. Firmer smooth ride with more positive steering and just a better ride. I would suggest this affordable modification for the 700.

I want to thank those of you who Pioneered this shock modification. Not sure if I would have even thought about using Can Am shocks on a Honda?

Canam rear shocks

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am actively searching for these shocks. Haven't had much luck, see some on ebay but they have a lot of miles on them. Also I see the shocks but without the springs. Any other ideas on finding these?

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I am actively searching for these shocks. Haven't had much luck, see some on ebay but they have a lot of miles on them. Also I see the shocks but without the springs. Any other ideas on finding these?

I'd buy those Commander 2015 shocks yellow springs you inquired about.....a good deal Dude!. Only a year old....miles not important IMHO! There will not be many miles on those shocks. As long as they are not leaking and yellow springs!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just sent him a PM, let's see if he replies

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just like the lower shock mount, there is a gap between the upper shock eye and the mounts. I will keep an eye on this and install spacers if the shock's eye moves on the nylon bushing...I suspect it will.

Disconnected the sway bar and wired it out of the way for testing. There is more noticeable body roll while cornering with sway bar disconnected. I have the 700-4.... maybe due to the extra weight? I adjusted the shocks several times and the roll is still definitely there and gets my attention while cornering. I will ride for a while with sway bar disconnected..... my gut tells me to put it back!

Shocks are amazing and way better than stock. Firmer smooth ride with more positive steering and just a better ride. I would suggest this affordable modification for the 700.

I want to thank those of you who Pioneered this shock modification. Not sure if I would have even thought about using Can Am shocks on a Honda?

View attachment 14104

My buddy said his 700-4 on 27" tires felt too too heavy after I convinced him to disconnect the sway bar. I took him out in the field and slide it side ways in some hard cornering just to show him.

It will feel a little different but give it some time. The traction and smooth ride will be worth it.

Reactions: Tflynn
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I am going to ride it for a while with sway bar disconnected. It feels weird and maybe I just need to get use to it. I know that energy is stored up in a hard turn and the roll can get out of control in an instant and over you go or if your lucky you spin out. With the sway bar properly installed that energy is distributed over the rear suspension while in a turn...they stiffen against the roll tendencies a suspension has while turning corners at speed. As one side compresses it loads the bar (which is really a torsion spring) with many lbs, it in turn transmits those lbs to the other side trying to even out the differences in ride height from side to side by taking the energy that is compressing one side and shifting it to the other side. I am thinking the stiffer shocks/springs might help the roll tendencies of the 700. We shall see. I'll know after a few more hard rides...starting tomorrow! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015

View attachment 14104

Do you mean move side to side as in the shock eye isn't as wide as the mount on the atv?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OK looks like I may have a lead on 2 sets of Can Am OE shocks. Anyone interested on a set if both deals work out? I will sell them for what I have in them plus shipping.

M

Mhewitt

Oct 16, 2015
OK looks like I may have a lead on 2 sets of Can Am OE shocks. Anyone interested on a set if both deals work out? I will sell them for what I have in them plus shipping.

I am looking for the rears, I already have walker evans on the front

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!