Pioneer Suspension Adjustment

A

atv

Feb 13, 2013
Ownership

1. Big Red
The Pioneer utilizes a hydraulic damping, spring shock system that suspends the weight of the passengers, cargo, and the Honda Side by Side correctly. The oil damper system hydraulically controls the natural compression and rebound of the suspension springs so that comfort and traction are well maintained as the terrain changes.

Front
The front suspension consists of a double wish bone, standard shock offering 7.9 inches of travel. It set to provide the right cushion amount for heavy loads and tough terrain.

Rear
The rear suspension consists of a double wish bone, with a pre-load shock capable of 5 different adjustments. A lower pre-load provides a softer ride and is the recommended choice for light loads and smooth terrain. The higher spring pre-load provides a firmer ride and is the recommended choice for heavy loads and rough terrain.

Position Settings:
Position 1: for smooth terrain and a light load.
Position 2: for normal every day terrain. The standard position from Honda.
Position 3: for a medium load or medium terrain.
Position 4: for a heavy load or rough terrain.
Position 5: for a full load or very rough terrain.

It is recommended that both shocks be adjusted equally even if the load such only a single passenger in he rear.

Adjusting the rear suspension.
The rear pre-load is only adjustable with a compatible spanner wrench offered by your Honda dealer. Use Honda part number 07702-0020001 available at your local dealer. Honda recommends that adjustment is made equally even if the load such only a single passenger in the rear seats. To adjust jack the rear off the ground. Use the spanner wrench to turn both shocks 1 notch at a time until the desired pre-load setting is reached. Do not quickly jump from setting 1 to 5.

Following this direction will allow for a comfortable ride for you and your passengers.

N

nutmeg

Jun 15, 2013
This is good info. I will need to learn how to adjust mine. Where can you get that tool from?

T

TrailTamer

May 10, 2013
Does it have the adjustable shocks on both the front and rear?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
TrailTamer said:
Does it have the adjustable shocks on both the front and rear?
No.
Only the rears are adjustable.

M

Melikiehonduh

Jun 9, 2014
Will an universal spanner wrench or does it have to be the $99 honda one?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Universal will work most of the time. I have had luck with a large pair of channel lock pliers also. But I only went one notch. Be careful not to strip it.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Easy to do with channel lock pliers, just make sure you jack the rear of the machine off the ground so it turns easier.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Does anyone know what size the rings are on the shocks? I see a wrench that will fit 87mm and 68 mm rings for $37 on eBay, just want to know this will fit......sure beats the $100+ Honda part.....

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

Mar 10, 2017
Jacobsburg,OHIO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Pioneer utilizes a hydraulic damping, spring shock system that suspends the weight of the passengers, cargo, and the Honda Side by Side correctly. The oil damper system hydraulically controls the natural compression and rebound of the suspension springs so that comfort and traction are well maintained as the terrain changes.

Front
The front suspension consists of a double wish bone, standard shock offering 7.9 inches of travel. It set to provide the right cushion amount for heavy loads and tough terrain.

Rear
The rear suspension consists of a double wish bone, with a pre-load shock capable of 5 different adjustments. A lower pre-load provides a softer ride and is the recommended choice for light loads and smooth terrain. The higher spring pre-load provides a firmer ride and is the recommended choice for heavy loads and rough terrain.

Position Settings:
Position 1: for smooth terrain and a light load.
Position 2: for normal every day terrain. The standard position from Honda.
Position 3: for a medium load or medium terrain.
Position 4: for a heavy load or rough terrain.
Position 5: for a full load or very rough terrain.

It is recommended that both shocks be adjusted equally even if the load such only a single passenger in he rear.

Adjusting the rear suspension.
The rear pre-load is only adjustable with a compatible spanner wrench offered by your Honda dealer. Use Honda part number 07702-0020001 available at your local dealer. Honda recommends that adjustment is made equally even if the load such only a single passenger in the rear seats. To adjust jack the rear off the ground. Use the spanner wrench to turn both shocks 1 notch at a time until the desired pre-load setting is reached. Do not quickly jump from setting 1 to 5.

Following this direction will allow for a comfortable ride for you and your passengers.

On my 16 1000-5. Can I adjustvrear shocks? I flint see any kind of adjustment?

R

Redrider700

Aug 22, 2018
Rossville, Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4
Just a quick question guys what is a good setting for having 2 adults in the back setting 4 or 5 and what's your exsperiance with your setting?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!