ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Months ago I had installed my power steering and heater but the issue was the heater core sat on the power steering control box. Disclaimer the HONDA heater will not fit with the power steering, the Summit Racing dual outlet heater(JUST fits if you shift it further forward and up, it a fine balance between hitting the hood or the power steering control box.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382604602438

I ended up taking the power steering back off and leaving the heater on because it was cold(to my southern definition, I know our friends near the arctic circle will disagree) well it's warm again and I decided to reinstall the power steering so my wife could drive.

Never posted pics of the install.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382723480502

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382738449777

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382759035385

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382904319859

I LOVE the power steering as does my wife, with 28x10-12 my wife can easily turn it in 4Lock, she was smiling ear to ear. Before it was just too much for her to easily control for her. Now I can drive one handed, it doesn't wear me out like before. There's virtually no kickback, and it's much more convenient to drive.

I am careful though not to force it if it doesn't want to turn, don't want to break an axel. I also don't try to force it past full lock left or right, that just adds extra stress to joints that doesn't serve any purpose.

Disclaimer: I did NOT wire mine all the way back to the battery. I have a 4ga cable running from the Optima under the drivers seat to buss points in place of the factory battery then to the front where I have the winch contractor. I used it as a buss point for a fuss block and 100amp relay. I wired the main power draw for the power steering to the contractor and wired the keyed power to the factory 12v accessory outlet in the dash.

As you can see my under hood is FULL.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382773.336827.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382773.336827.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 167
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382890.865027.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431382890.865027.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 151
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
thanks for the Info but this really blows my plans out of the water. I all ready have received the Honda heater. and had plans to get the power steering from super atv. witch looks like it is EZ steer too. so my question is ohanacreek what was the reason that they would not fit together? Can some redneck innovation fix this problem?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for posting this. I've really been thinkin about the power steering. It's good to here you like it.

Did it change the steering ratio?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The control box. I'm sure it could be mounted somewhere but the cables are really short. About 12-16", I have too many other things for it to be moved anywhere within reach. Not sure if lengthening the cables would change the resistance enough the sensor wouldn't work.

EzSteer is SuperATV.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks for the Info but this really blows my plans out of the water. I all ready have received the Honda heater. and had plans to get the power steering from super atv. witch looks like it is EZ steer too. so my question is ohanacreek what was the reason that they would not fit together? Can some redneck innovation fix this problem?

The control box. I'm sure it could be mounted somewhere but the cables are really short. About 12-16", I have too many other things for it to be moved anywhere within reach. Not sure if lengthening the cables would change the resistance enough the sensor wouldn't work.

EzSteer is SuperATV.

Thanks for posting this. I've really been thinkin about the power steering. It's good to here you like it.

Did it change the steering ratio?

I'll let you drive it, whenever we get the opportunity to ride together next.

No it's 1:1 ratio, it just adds assistance. Not any harder to turn when it's not powered up, steers just like normal.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

How long have you had it? Does it seem reliable? Has anyone heard of issues with it? Also, if anyone had issues, how's the customer service?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be helpful to me and anyone else who comes along looking.

Joey

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got it back before Christmas and had installed it, but when I went to put the heater on it rubbed, I rode it around a bit just to test it out then I didn't have the time to make it fit before I had a planned ride with a friend, so I took it back off and it sat in the box till this weekend. I've been tinkering a bit at a time and got it 95% back together. (Still need to repaint the heater mounts, I had to cut a good bit of them off to fit under the hood) I wedged the heater in and let my wife drive it around last night with it in 4lock. She said it was a little stiff but she had no real problem turning it on pavement.

Haven't heard of any issues, some people say it doesn't help as much as they'd hoped, (for$500) I don't really notice a significant difference in 2wd, it is easier I can drive with one hand and there's no kickback. It's in 4wd and 4lock where I really notice the ease of steering relative to it being powered down. I wish I'd had it installed for WindRock, I don't think would have been tired at the end of the day.

I really got it for my wife, she's 120lbs and it was hard for her to drive in 4wd, I was afraid it would kickback and hurt her or she'd loose control.

My dad bought a used 700-4 and motivated me to install mine after I helped him install his (his was way easier, a LOT more room since he doesn't have all the add-ons I do, he got it with a roof and half windshield) Although he did remove the C-Clip on the steering column it shows to remove in the instructions (DON'T! 3hours and many 4 letter words later it was back on) He and my step-mother love it they run her grand-kids around and it's easy enough for a near 70 year old cancer survivor to drive it.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are there any preferred vendors here at HSXS that sell this unit?

Also, if the unit failed, can you still drive safely/easily?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@SuperATV is the company that makes it. EzSteer is their brand.

Yeah if the fuse blows or the assist fails it can be driven like one without EPS.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you! I'll talk to super ATV about lengthening those wires!

Reactions: Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info Ohanacreek, I've been considering this for awhile (along with a ton of other things) and been on the fence about it but now I'm thinking its a must have. How was the install overall?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info Ohanacreek, I've been considering this for awhile (along with a ton of other things) and been on the fence about it but now I'm thinking its a must have. How was the install overall?

Took about 2 hours without removing the fender or dash.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Awesome not too bad. Just have to get my battery box from RMP first!

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Took about 2 hours without removing the fender or dash.

I just received my EZ-Steer Kit this week. Hoping to install it Memorial Weekend. The instructions state to remove both the fender and dash. It sounds like you were able to install it without removing them. Was it difficult or would you recommend removing them? I would prefer not removing them, because I would have to remove many aftermarket accessories such as the windshield, winch components, fuse box, switch panel, etc. I wish I would have installed the power steering prior to all of the other accessories. Anyway, if you were to do it all over again, would removing either the dash or fender dramatically simplify the installation?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just received my EZ-Steer Kit this week. Hoping to install it Memorial Weekend. The instructions state to remove both the fender and dash. It sounds like you were able to install it without removing them. Was it difficult or would you recommend removing them? I would prefer not removing them, because I would have to remove many aftermarket accessories such as the windshield, winch components, fuse box, switch panel, etc. I wish I would have installed the power steering prior to all of the other accessories. Anyway, if you were to do it all over again, would removing either the dash or fender dramatically simplify the installation?

I did not remove it, for the same reason too many other things to remove as well.

Takes longer but not when compared with removing and reinstalling everything else.My dad had already taken his dash and fender off. (His arthritis prevented him from getting the C-Clip back on at all and it was a PITA for me.) it went on easier with the body parts removed, but I would still think it'd be faster to do it without taking it off. Just don't remove that C-Clip!!!

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I did not remove it, for the same reason too many other things to remove as well.

Takes longer but not when compared with removing and reinstalling everything else.My dad had already taken his dash and fender off. (His arthritis prevented him from getting the C-Clip back on at all and it was a PITA for me.) it went on easier with the body parts removed, but I would still think it'd be faster to do it without taking it off. Just don't remove that C-Clip!!!

If I don't remove the C-Clip, then I won't be able to remove the Steering Shaft from the Tube. Is that not necessary? If not, why do the instructions want you to remove the C-clip?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No idea I didn't need to remove the shaft from the tube. Just loosened the factory section up all the way and it moved enough it came right out.

Was able to keep the shafts in the kit loose enough to get everything together and in place.

Seemed like an extra step that could make things "easier" if the shafts would not move but was ultimately unnecessary since they did.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I talked to SuperATV today and they said no problem. They said if you are using the Honda heater and you want the ez steer also, just to call them before you order and they will make a wire harness extension so that you can mount the control box anywhere you want. (With no extra charge) you will have to find a good ground but it sounds like easy fix!
I have said it before and ill say it again, Super ATV has some awesome customer service!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked to SuperATV today and they said no problem. They said if you are using the Honda heater and you want the ez steer also, just to call them before you order and they will make a wire harness extension so that you can mount the control box anywhere you want. (With no extra charge) you will have to find a good ground but it sounds like easy fix!
I have said it before and ill say it again, Super ATV has some awesome customer service!

There you go

RunningBear

RunningBear

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good thread. I had the EZSteer unit on my RZR 800 and it was fantastic. Now that I know Super ATV can make it work with the Honda heater, I'll have to order one! I've also thought about adding one to my Rincon.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!